BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > First real life look: M2 Competition w/ M Performance Parts (thx to Misha Charoudin)

05-11-2018, 12:07 AM   #133
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
To each is own, if that works for you, totally understand.. One other thing, you do pay full price plus a little added for installation. It's always been that way, you just have to compare the MSRP to the port install cost...
You can negotiate those prices, just like the price of the car.
Appreciate 1
sq86363.00
      05-11-2018, 12:11 AM   #134
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Quote:
To each is own, if that works for you, totally understand.. One other thing, you do pay full price plus a little added for installation. It's always been that way, you just have to compare the MSRP to the port install cost...
You can negotiate those prices, just like the price of the car.
I am sure you can but if you pay their asking price, It'll still cost more than if you walk 50ft to their parts department and pay full MSRP for the same exact part.

My point being is that port prices adds for installation.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2018, 12:28 AM   #135
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I am sure you can but if you pay their asking price, It'll still cost more than if you walk 50ft to their parts department and pay full MSRP for the same exact part.

My point being is that port prices adds for installation.
Lets say you pay retail for the roof and get it port installed for free. I guarantee that saves you a boat load more money than getting a discounted part and paying either the dealer or IND to install it.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2018, 12:30 AM   #136
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
I am sure you can but if you pay their asking price, it'll still cost more than if you walk 50ft to their parts department and pay full MSRP for the same part. My point being is that port prices add for installation.
How so? If you pay MSRP with port install, it'll be your final price. If you pay MSRP at the parts department, you'll also have to pay for the labor. "Port prices add for installation" is not an accurate statement IMO. I got an invoice deal for my M4 and it meant me paying invoice pricing for the port installed parts as well (CF spoiler, CF diffuser, and MPE). In other words, not only I didn't pay any labor on those parts but also got close to 20% discount. Here's a partial screenshot of my built sheet, look at the invoice vs MSRP difference of M performance parts (you may not be able to get any discounts on the price of a recently released car but you have a better chance of negotiating on M performance parts):

Appreciate 3
M3_WC1040.00
AlpsRider2865.00
sq86363.00
      05-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #137
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Ok I was thinking this through and I think that the port install process decision is by design and may change in the future.

M2 Competition comes out and no one in the dealer network (port or body shop ) has the experience or expertise to do this task on the 2 series chassis.

BMW Mandates that the M Performance parts for M2 including the CF roof are port /dealer installed. This gives these groups additional labor tasks ( to keep them busier and more profitable ).

BMW begins selling M2 Competition ( port install) as well as M2 parts over the counter ( dealer body shop install ) to be retrofit for the OG M2.

After the network has done this job many times installing these on customer cars ( as well as repairing these items on customer cars that are damaged either in shipping or out in the Wild ( hail damage for example ) they then roll out a new M2 model that has all these parts on the vehicle (installed by the factory !) or just simply effect a changeover and begin installing the CF roof on the factory line now that the dealer and port network are now fully trained and ready to deal with any issues.

dmboone25 you are indeed correct that " practice will make perfect ". And I would agree that I probably wouldn't want to be one of the first half dozen or so installs.

boostspoon from your dealer experience , could this " training path " be possible?

BlackJetE90 I concur that the port Delivery locations repair a lot of damages and do excellent work that the public never sees.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      05-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #138
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
How so? If you pay MSRP with port install, it'll be your final price. If you pay MSRP at the parts department, you'll also have to pay for the labor. "Port prices add for installation" is not an accurate statement IMO. I got an invoice deal for my M4 and it meant me paying invoice pricing for the port installed parts as well (CF spoiler, CF diffuser, and MPE). In other words, not only I didn't pay any labor on those parts but also got close to 20% discount. Here's a partial screenshot of my built sheet, look at the invoice vs MSRP difference of M performance parts (you may not be able to get any discounts on the price of a recently released car but you have a better chance of negotiating on M performance parts):

Exactly. Thanks for info.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #139
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Ok I was thinking this through and I think that the port install process decision is by design and may change in the future.

M2 Competition comes out and no one in the dealer network (port or body shop ) has the experience or expertise to do this task on the 2 series chassis.

BMW Mandates that the M Performance parts for M2 including the CF roof are port /dealer installed. This gives these groups additional labor tasks ( to keep them busier and more profitable ).

BMW begins selling M2 Competition ( port install) as well as M2 parts over the counter ( dealer body shop install ) to be retrofit for the OG M2.

After the network has done this job many times installing these on customer cars ( as well as repairing these items on customer cars that are damaged either in shipping or out in the Wild ( hail damage for example ) they then roll out a new M2 model that has all these parts on the vehicle (installed by the factory !) or just simply effect a changeover and begin installing the CF roof on the factory line now that the dealer and port network are now fully trained and ready to deal with any issues.

dmboone25 you are indeed correct that " practice will make perfect ". And I would agree that I probably wouldn't want to be one of the first half dozen or so installs.

boostspoon from your dealer experience , could this " training path " be possible?

BlackJetE90 I concur that the port Delivery locations repair a lot of damages and do excellent work that the public never sees.

All carbon and wing are jobs that dealers will accept. Training for these items is next to none unless you're the shop foreman or one of the lead techs since it's a basic R&R job or minimal drilling for the wing (drill template included)

However, with the roof - if the design of the carbon roof requires the same work as we've watched in videos where windshields need to be removed, you can forget about the dealership doing that install. There also won't be training for this install as it's very low volume, high risk of damage to the body, and you won't find many techs wanting to do the work.

As you mention expertise through repetition, techs working flat rate are much better off doing their normal service or repair work and beating time. They also prefer not working on enthusiast vehicles as the owners will look over the job with the fine tooth comb. Comeback jobs aren't paid twice.

If BMW is wise, they'd redesign the roof in a way where the install is a simple 1-1.5 hour job without the windshield being removed nor grinding. They're not stupid, I'm sure you're going to see this on the M2C. However, if they opt for this route, this design and mold wouldn't work for all pre-redesigned 2 series.

What's important to note here is that BMW service should install nearly 100% of the items they sell. But items like the roof may be a factory-selected item during the build and if you're able to purchase from the parts department, you're literally asking for an item that's factory-selected and not intended as an after-build install.
Appreciate 2
dmboone254972.00
      07-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #140
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Not to crush the hope for 18's with 2NH brake package. But it isn't happening.

Compare the caliper clearance of the M4 carbon ceramics to M2C 2NH. Clearance is identical(very little...talking millimeters).

The calipers look to be identical - but with regular pads and steel discs instead?
Appreciate 0