BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-13-2022, 04:53 PM   #353
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Oh dear

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...er-hate-speech

Oh my dear

https://electrek.co/2022/12/12/tesla...e-advertising/

We reported last week that Tesla tried to get the lawsuit dismissed by saying that “failure to realize a long-term, aspirational goal is not fraud.”

For those willing to go through the small claims system, Jordan’s approach might be a better short-term solution.

Interestingly, Jordan said that he used our article about the FSD subscription situation as evidence in the case in front of the judge. Funny enough, Tesla CEO Elon Musk blocked Electrek’s and my personal Twitter accounts after we posted that article.

We can’t confirm that it is the reason why we were blocked, but there was nothing else we posted around that time that could have triggered this.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 05:02 PM   #354
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Welp. And so it begins....

Twitter's Elon Musk is warned to prepare for 'hundreds or even thousands' of arbitration cases!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/twitt...133049892.html

Powerhouse labor attorney Shannon Liss-Riordan and former Twitter employees stood in front of San Francisco’s federal courthouse on Thursday with a message for Elon Musk: They won't back down.

“The richest man in the world is not above the law,” said Liss-Riordan, whose team represents clients in four different class-action lawsuits against Twitter.

Since Elon Musk took control of the social media giant in October, he has followed through on his promise of a mass layoff and a complete overhaul of the company. Even as managers and staffers resigned, he issued an ultimatum: commit to a new, “hardcore” Twitter 2.0 at which employees were expected to work long hours, or leave with three months’ worth of severance.

The lawsuits came instantly.

As questions continue to swirl around Musk's next move, ex-employees through their attorneys are seeking every possible avenue to obtain the benefits they feel entitled to in the aftermath of the tumultuous takeover. But they may face a long road ahead before they see any results — in part because many uncertainties remain over how they will proceed.

The first case was filed one day before Twitter’s first round of mass layoffs Nov. 4 with Emmanuel Cornet as one of the lead plaintiffs. Cornet was the first employee to be terminated from Twitter and has also filed charges with the National Labor Relations Board for unfair labor practices. The case alleges Cornet was a part of the layoffs and did not receive proper notice under the federal and state Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act or severance pay.

The latest case was filed late Wednesday alleging the company disproportionately targeted women in its layoffs. The complaint cited a report that 57% of female employees and 47% of male employees were laid off Nov. 4, which was found to be statistically significant.

Liss-Riordan also represents Dmitry Borodaenko, the lead plaintiff in a case against the company alleging discrimination against employees with disabilities. Borodaenko, a cancer survivor vulnerable to COVID-19, said he was fired after refusing to return to the office.

Despite the legal challenges that have already begun, a great deal hinges on two major court decisions that will determine what course of litigation the workers are able to take.

First, the court is expected to decide early next week on an emergency motion Liss-Riordan filed Nov. 9 in Cornet’s case. Though laid-off employees still have not received their official severance agreements from the company, Twitter has indicated that it will have employees sign a release of claims document to receive their severance. Signing the document would prevent the former employees from taking legal action, Liss-Riordan said.

The emergency motion would prevent Twitter from seeking those releases without first notifying employees of the pending class-action lawsuit and contact information for legal counsel. A similar motion was filed in a case against Tesla requiring the automaker to notify laid-off employees of pending litigation.

The second decision, which is set for a hearing in January, centers around arbitration agreements most Twitter employees signed as a term of employment.

Under this clause, employees with legal claims against Twitter must pursue individual arbitration, preventing them from participating in or benefiting from any class-action lawsuit filed against the company. Twitter has filed a motion to enforce that agreement, which Liss-Riordan is opposing.

Liss-Riordan said her team is ready to help file hundreds of arbitration cases against the company should the court choose to enforce the arbitration agreement.

“We'll show you one by one and then we'll file hundreds or even thousands of individual cases,” she said.

Liss-Riordan has waged similar mass arbitration campaigns against companies such as IBM, which also required workers to sign arbitration agreements and successfully enforced them, she said.

Some ex-Twitter workers have already taken the path of arbitration. Former employee Helen Sage-Lee filed a claim with the help of her attorney, Lisa Bloom, on the basis that the terms of Musk’s deal to purchase Twitter require him to provide a severance package and benefits “no less favorable” than the one promised by its prior leadership for at least a year.

The pre-acquisition package offered at least two months’ worth of severance pay as well as prorated performance bonuses, extended visa support, money for healthcare continuation and the cash value of equity that would vest within three months, according to laid-off employees as well as company documents reviewed by The Times.

Two of the class-action lawsuits Liss-Riordan filed are based on similar arguments. While employees were offered two months of pay during a “non-working” period to abide by the federal WARN Act, which requires 60 days' notice ahead of mass layoffs, Liss-Riordan argued that does not count toward actual severance promised to employees.

Twitter, which no longer has a formal communications team, could not be reached for comment.

While some are preparing themselves for extended legal battles, not everyone is prepared to pursue legal action just yet. A number of former Twitter employees are still biding their time while consulting attorneys and weighing their options.

An engineering manager who was a part of the Nov. 4 layoff said some are concerned they are still bound by employee guidelines because they are still in the non-working period and tethered to Twitter while not actually working for the company.

“So we’re supposed to act like employees right now even though we’re not working,” he said. “The last thing I want to get is being fired for cause.”

The employee said he was most concerned about the next stock vesting date, which is Feb. 1. The terms of the merger agreement should protect equity that vests within three months, which for many employees on the technical side can be worth a lot more than a month of salary.

“For me, that would be the main reason why I would consider joining a lawsuit — if that were not delivered as promised,” he said.

This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times.
Crazy. The WARN act basically requires anyone doing mass layoffs to give appropriate notice. Might have violated that, but if they did that's pretty lame as their legal counsel should know about it.

This plaintiff's attorney apparently has done mass arbitration cases before so she might just have some leverage. Doubt there will be "hundreds or thousands" as she claims (she's talking big here) but even a few dozen will be quite the case. Of course she'll need to sign up each and every employee to pursue an arbitration case but sounds like she's done it before and in this case what makes things different is they have a LOT of pissed off workers.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #355
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Crazy. The WARN act basically requires anyone doing mass layoffs to give appropriate notice. Might have violated that, but if they did that's pretty lame as their legal counsel should know about it.

This plaintiff's attorney apparently has done mass arbitration cases before so she might just have some leverage. Doubt there will be "hundreds or thousands" as she claims (she's talking big here) but even a few dozen will be quite the case. Of course she'll need to sign up each and every employee to pursue an arbitration case but sounds like she's done it before and in this case what makes things different is they have a LOT of pissed off workers.
Wouldn’t be surprised if many of those “mass layoffs” weren’t layoffs at all and instead structured as voluntary terminations to get a payout. I’d think those don’t require notifications under WARN Act because they are offered, not compelled. Typically, employer tells you that you can take this deal or stay and see what happens, but no deal later if you don’t take this one.

Take those out and people who have worked there for less than 6 mos. and any other exemption, and the actual number of layoffs may be below the requirement to notify. I’d be surprised if that wasn’t the case, but lawyers gotta be lawyers, especially in CA.
2000cs3511.50
      12-14-2022, 10:46 AM   #356
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Wouldn’t be surprised if many of those “mass layoffs” weren’t layoffs at all and instead structured as voluntary terminations to get a payout. I’d think those don’t require notifications under WARN Act because they are offered, not compelled. Typically, employer tells you that you can take this deal or stay and see what happens, but no deal later if you don’t take this one.

Take those out and people who have worked there for less than 6 mos. and any other exemption, and the actual number of layoffs may be below the requirement to notify. I’d be surprised if that wasn’t the case, but lawyers gotta be lawyers, especially in CA.
100%
no matter what there will be lawyers trying to make a case... you know this
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25166.50
RickFLM410991.00
      12-14-2022, 10:58 AM   #357
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if many of those "mass layoffs" weren't layoffs at all and instead structured as voluntary terminations to get a payout. I'd think those don't require notifications under WARN Act because they are offered, not compelled. Typically, employer tells you that you can take this deal or stay and see what happens, but no deal later if you don't take this one.

Take those out and people who have worked there for less than 6 mos. and any other exemption, and the actual number of layoffs may be below the requirement to notify. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, but lawyers gotta be lawyers, especially in CA.
100%
no matter what there will be lawyers trying to make a case... you know this
Exactly! Get fired for cause?! Sue! Get laid off?! Sue!
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410991.00
      12-14-2022, 02:24 PM   #358
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Well I guess Elon isn't exactly sticking to his promise of Free Speech"...
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/14/tech/...ded/index.html
Appreciate 1
minn1914061.50
      12-14-2022, 02:34 PM   #359
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Well I guess Elon isn't exactly sticking to his promise of Free Speech"...
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/14/tech/...ded/index.html

I mean I feel like that goes a little beyond "free speech". You know if there was an account tracking where air force one went it would be shut down in minutes.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
dradernh4459.50
      12-14-2022, 02:40 PM   #360
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Snake oil merchant elon issue aside
I think anyone tracking anyone's jet should be banned. I also think paparazzi who make celebs life hell should be banned. This is human sense.
Appreciate 3
dradernh4459.50
antgenn319.00
      12-14-2022, 03:20 PM   #361
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

https://www.axios.com/2022/12/14/twi...ing-bills-rent
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 05:57 AM   #362
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Snake oil merchant elon issue aside
I think anyone tracking anyone's jet should be banned. I also think paparazzi who make celebs life hell should be banned. This is human sense.
The issue is it's literally just a script that collates publicly available information. It's how everyone always knows "x coach is interviewing for a job" etc.

And Elon has only banned accounts linking to HIS jet. Also, how does knowing his jets in Texas supposedly tell you where his ex girlfriends car is? If this even happened...

I'm still here waiting for the "piss in jars" phase...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 06:19 AM   #363
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
The issue is it's literally just a script that collates publicly available information. It's how everyone always knows "x coach is interviewing for a job" etc.

And Elon has only banned accounts linking to HIS jet. Also, how does knowing his jets in Texas supposedly tell you where his ex girlfriends car is? If this even happened...

I'm still here waiting for the "piss in jars" phase...
Free speech agent finds out not all free speech is safe / to his liking. I would laugh but as one of his umpteen kids/mrs's or whoever could have been harmed I won't.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 06:31 AM   #364
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Oh dear
https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk...todon-12769153
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 06:45 AM   #365
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

So doxxing is only bad when it happens to him*:

*as in he wasnt doxxed as the plane wasnt anywhere near the car, grimes is like him and cant shut up so she broadcasts her location all of the time too, and this attack likely didnt happen since he still hasnt reported it to the police and all he has is a video of him recording a guy who is recording him in a garage.

Its literally all just made up to give him an excuse to go after the script that tracks publicly available information about his plane.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2022, 06:48 AM   #366
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Free speech agent finds out not all free speech is safe / to his liking. I would laugh but as one of his umpteen kids/mrs's or whoever could have been harmed I won't.
Eh, its sounding more and more like this didnt even happen. But either way @elonjet had the jet in another location and, last time I checked, a jet isnt a car. And its not like it says who is on the jet (if anyone) and its not like both grimes and musk dont already tweet every detail of their lives already anyway.

If you ever want to know, ever wanted to know (been a thing for over a decade) all you need to know is the reg/tail number: https://www.adsbexchange.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 11:52 AM   #367
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

https://www.businessinsider.com/twit...eviews-2022-12
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 10:58 PM   #368
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/18/tech/...oll/index.html

Elon Musk says he will step down as Twitter CEO if voted out by a poll he tweeted
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 10:40 AM   #369
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
As for twitter... Elon gone and fucked up. He's making the same mistake twitter made when they decided to get involved in the censoring business. The only way I can see out of all this nonsense is to allow everything as long as it doesn't violate the law. Period.
That wont work because corporations were never "woke," they are greedy. Having your advert next to someones rant about killing jews is bad for business, so they pull them.
Appreciate 1
minn1914061.50
      12-20-2022, 07:59 AM   #370
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

LOL, and now this. Free speech costs, what, $8?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64034892

Finally pops up after posting the poll to respond to some rando who says only people who pay should be allowed to vote.

GENIUS BOY!
Appreciate 2
antgenn319.00
minn1914061.50
      12-22-2022, 06:45 AM   #371
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
That Elon Musk....Not quite right in the head.

PS: I know where his plane is going.....
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 09:46 AM   #372
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

LOL, cant embed reddit but here is a clip of an exchange with musk and engineers and he just says "rewrite the crazy stack but cant articulate ANYTHING, just stammers and then gets offended when people start laughing at such a stupid suggestion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WhitePeople...ss_suggestion/

Dude is clueless. Shocker from a dropout how had to have his degree manufactured after the fact.
Appreciate 3
minn1914061.50
DETRoadster11466.50
KRS_SN13616.00
      12-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #373
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I don't personally have anything against ELON, I think he is doing different things but I've also said he is a super shady character not some champion of the people. He portrays things as being to the benefit of society but it REALLY profits him.

The way he ran Tesla and the story with the founders, consistent overpromises and the fact that no one has ever come out to say working for him is a pleasure or he is a good boss is telling. I don't think anyone has anything good to say for him that has worked for him.

Then he massively plays the government and uses tax payer funds and tax credits to the absolute max and gives back nothing... CA built his business on incentives and he is happy to take the Green Money but when it comes to paying anything he runs off into TX (a tax free state)... shadiness at its best.

Then this twitter mess is another level... he must know he really F'd that one up...
DETRoadster11466.50
KRS_SN13616.00
      12-23-2022, 11:47 AM   #374
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
LOL, cant embed reddit but here is a clip of an exchange with musk and engineers and he just says "rewrite the crazy stack but cant articulate ANYTHING, just stammers and then gets offended when people start laughing at such a stupid suggestion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WhitePeople...ss_suggestion/

Dude is clueless. Shocker from a dropout how had to have his degree manufactured after the fact.
Ouch. Bad day at the office for Elon. You dont go into a room of experts swinging your big dick, trying to fake it till you make it, and not expect to get called out. He's created an environment where folks are like "fuck it, if I go out I go out with a bang." The engineer on the call had super valid points. Elon says the code is "crazy" and needs to be "re-written." OK, so what specifically is broken and what does a "re-write" look like? He doesn't know. It's clear to me that Elon has someone he trusts that knows something about coding and told him there were problems, or at least opportunities, with the code. Elon is just parroting that but cant hang technically to explain or expand. How are you going to lead a team of developers if you cant even tell them what to do, let alone how to do it. The dude is way out over his ski tips.

Anyone who thinks Elon is some Mensa genius who is executing a plan that we are all too stupid to understand needs to watch that Reddit clip ryan stewart posted and reconsider.
Appreciate 2
minn1914061.50
KRS_SN13616.00