BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-13-2021, 06:22 AM   #1
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Idaho/Montana/Wyoming peeps!

I'm looking at moving west into the mountains in the next couple years. I have ambitious goals for my budget, but goal is to find at least 20 acres either nestled in a valley or with those expansive views and accessible year round. I work IT and can work from home, but the better looking half is a COT so we need to stay close enough to populated areas. Coming from MN winter weather does not concern me at all.

As an example, while scouting areas I happened to stumble upon this listing and this property is amazing. I would like more trees, but those can always be planted, but the views are exactly what I'm looking for.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M15540-01742

Anyone have suggestions to look into?

Grangerville/Riggins/Pollock Idaho

Salmon/Stanley/Arco Idaho

Butte/Helena/Missoula Montana

I'm not against Utah or Colorado, but Utah starts getting into that open plains and Colorado is becoming the next California, so it will take the right place for the right price.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:03 AM   #2
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Tell me, is Montana like a hot bed of activity all the sudden? I saw a guy hiring for an autobody painter offering $185k which would normally pay $100-120k in Florida
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:19 AM   #3
MasAyinde
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Montana real estate prices have blown up since the beginning of the pandemic. Places in cities in Montana now cost more per square foot than many places in Philadelphia. This also means my in laws' cabin is worth a ton, which I guess is good.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Tell me, is Montana like a hot bed of activity all the sudden? I saw a guy hiring for an autobody painter offering $185k which would normally pay $100-120k in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasAyinde View Post
Montana real estate prices have blown up since the beginning of the pandemic. Places in cities in Montana now cost more per square foot than many places in Philadelphia. This also means my in laws' cabin is worth a ton, which I guess is good.
Yeah its been getting more and more popular over the past few years, but mainly the more populated areas like Bozeman and Billings, etc. I'm hoping the locations I'm interested in are going to stay relatively untouched because of the harsher conditions.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:49 AM   #5
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

$11 mil and this is yours. Montana.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      10-13-2021, 08:01 AM   #6
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Man after my own heart. I, too, work from home (regardless of the current situation) and would love to do exactly this. Unfortunately the family lives in the southeast and the wife wants driving distance to visit. So naturally we live in the flattest area surrounded by swamps. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

What's your threshold for "prepping?" Most places like that have a big drive in for supplies, so what may be a weekly trip is now a monthly trip. I have a 65L fridge/freezer in the back of my Land Cruiser, and I'd suggest something similar or a large cooler at least for those big trips. Maybe your wife can score a job in a small town's eye shop?

What about internet? Are you just needing E-mail connectivity or are you hosting Zoom calls remotely?

Are you looking to distance yourself from the folks or are you an active sportsman?

I'm always interested in this conversation. I'll have to show my wife that house you linked... "Are you sure you don't want to wake up to that?"
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #7
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

I live in Idaho and I will say the Stanley, Salmon area is really nice. Gonna be pricey though as a lot of celebrities have homes there for skiing. McCall is another great area as it only puts you about 2-2.5 hours from Boise. There are some smaller little areas around McCall as well that are a little less and you can drive into McCall. McCall is more of a resort town so winter and summer it's busy with people on the lake.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Man after my own heart. I, too, work from home (regardless of the current situation) and would love to do exactly this. Unfortunately the family lives in the southeast and the wife wants driving distance to visit. So naturally we live in the flattest area surrounded by swamps. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

What's your threshold for "prepping?" Most places like that have a big drive in for supplies, so what may be a weekly trip is now a monthly trip. I have a 65L fridge/freezer in the back of my Land Cruiser, and I'd suggest something similar or a large cooler at least for those big trips. Maybe your wife can score a job in a small town's eye shop?

What about internet? Are you just needing E-mail connectivity or are you hosting Zoom calls remotely?

Are you looking to distance yourself from the folks or are you an active sportsman?

I'm always interested in this conversation. I'll have to show my wife that house you linked... "Are you sure you don't want to wake up to that?"
I can't stand flat. MN is nice because of the lakes and forests, but its generally flat and mostly farms. And the weather gets stupid cold in the winter. I like the snow, it's the sub zero temps for weeks on end that I can't stand here. That's why I love mtns so much, plenty of snow but still generally stays above zero.

I want distance from folks but don't want to be a hermit. I like my quiet and freedom while still being connected/close enough to society. We are big on hiking/backpacking in mountains so to be able to do that out our backdoor would be awesome.

Supplies aren't too much of a concern since we need to be close enough to town for her work. I grew up in the country in a hunting family and she is a garden freak. Stocking up or winter shouldn't be much an issue.

Yes she could get a job with small town eye clinics, but the issue is most small eye places don't have COTs unless they offer more services like lasik and surgeries and such. She also has her own online sales business and keeps saying shes working towards that being her full-time job so she can work from home, but I told her I'm not making decisions based on that because while it can happen, it's not reality right now.

Connectivity is something that I'm concerned about, but I've been watching Starlink as an option if theres no service to the property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
I live in Idaho and I will say the Stanley, Salmon area is really nice. Gonna be pricey though as a lot of celebrities have homes there for skiing. McCall is another great area as it only puts you about 2-2.5 hours from Boise. There are some smaller little areas around McCall as well that are a little less and you can drive into McCall. McCall is more of a resort town so winter and summer it's busy with people on the lake.
We snowshoed Stanley last year and fell in love with it, but yes that area is likely out of my price range. I remember looking at some houses for sale when we were there and it was $500k and up for janky manufactured homes on 1 acre lots. I think the only way I'd be able to do something is if I found a steal of property and built on it.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2021, 11:06 AM   #9
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

My dad has property near Missoula, never been myself. 20 acres next BLM, an 1800' guest house, and some ridiculous 6bed bunk house. He rents both out.

Having never been, I have no idea what internet, if any, if available there.
Appreciate 0