BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-07-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Moving to Houston

So the three places on my mind are Houston, Raleigh and the pacific NW. I want to be near the coast (Raleigh has the business triangle and inland enough I don’t have to worry too much about hurricanes). I’m thinking of a 6-9 month lease to get to know the area before buying and if I don’t like the area/lifestyle I’ll go to Raleigh and then the NW.

-I’d like a place on the outskirts in a quiet area/non congested with around a 15-20 minute drive to work, 30 minutes max. I don’t want to be sitting in traffic jams.
-Nearbodies of water so I can go bass fishing on foot or by kayak.
-Trails or hills to hike
-Seafood

Currently looking into the southern west-east part of Houston, any suggestions on areas?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Where is your family?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 03:05 PM   #3
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Where is your family?
They’re all here in Phoenix and will get be just fine without me being close by. We moved here from Vietnam and a lot of things here are wearing thin as the years pass - the heat, lack of fresh seafood and the closest lake take an hour to get to that has mostly 1lbers. I have no desire to stay here the rest of my life so I figure it’s time to take a chance and go.
Appreciate 3
Littlebear3509.50
Buug95917382.50
.Slug446.00
      10-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
essejM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Triangle is great, lots of work but still affordable. Not too far from the beach, and not much snow like in the NE. You are going to have to change you user name
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1709.50
      10-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #5
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by essejM3 View Post
Triangle is great, lots of work but still affordable. Not too far from the beach, and not much snow like in the NE. You are going to have to change you user name
Lol will do
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #6
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

With your requests I would tell you the Tampa Bay area where I am as I absolutely love it....but you say no Hurricanes. I have only been here 6 years and not had anything serious but we are aware it could happen.
Kayaking, fishing, watersports, etc you cant beat it around here
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1709.50
      10-07-2021, 05:40 PM   #7
essejM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
With your requests I would tell you the Tampa Bay area where I am as I absolutely love it....but you say no Hurricanes. I have only been here 6 years and not had anything serious but we are aware it could happen.
Yeah I'm going to St. Pete when my twins graduate HS in a few years.
Appreciate 2
E92inNC1709.50
Tommy-G4486.50
      10-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #8
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Houston is Texas' biggest shit hole. It's a sea of billboards, power lines and traffic. I'd recommend a strong pass unless your priorities are restaurants, bars and strong employment opportunities. I've tried to get out of this city four times but it keeps dragging me back with new business opportunities. I used to think it was because I was talented but now I think it's a giant trap.

If you do end up in Houston, settle around the big airport so you can easily leave to spend your vacation time somewhere else.
3.0L8935.00
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      10-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #9
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
About a month ago I had western FL from Tampa, west Orlando, Gainesville to Tallahassee on my list but with these category 4 and 5 hurricanes hitting you guys with more frequency the past decade I decided against it. Plus the older I get the more I’m liking cold weather, not Minnesota cold but anywhere that has possibility of snow less than a month is my preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
Houston is Texas' biggest shit hole. It's a sea of billboards, power lines and traffic. I'd recommend a strong pass unless your priorities are restaurants, bars and strong employment opportunities. I've tried to get out of this city four times but it keeps dragging me back with new business opportunities. I used to think it was because I was talented but now I think it's a giant trap.

If you do end up in Houston, settle around the big airport so you can easily leave to spend your vacation time somewhere else.
Ignorance is bliss for me I’m planning on a maximum 1 year lease to see if I can see myself living there for 10 years or so. Even if I do like it I might move to Raleigh anyways for the cooler weather and to compare before I commit to a mortgage.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615226.00
      10-07-2021, 10:47 PM   #10
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Pacific NW, primarily Seattle area, seems to fit your criteria OP. Lot of water, hikes, seafood, coldish weather without the snow. Strong economy and no state income tax as well. Traffic, well that's going to be more than Phoenix for sure, but you can always live closer to work.

Only downside, for me personally, is the poor climate. 8-9 months of overcast and drizzle were too much for me so I left. If it doesn't bother you then more power to you. I'd rather put up with the climate of the east coast where you only put up with shit weather for one season and while not consistently sunny, at least you experience sunlight enough to keep your sanity.

Last edited by Germanauto; 10-07-2021 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
E92inNC1709.50
      10-07-2021, 10:54 PM   #11
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post

I've only visited Houston, never lived there, but it strikes me as a very characterless and bland place. No natural beauty, completely flat, lousy weather, no urban density/walkability, etc. Just endless suburban sprawl. It's not an international vacation destination for a reason.

For people who just want a low COL and quiet suburbia type of life it seems ideal. But if one wants more from life it should be avoided. Good luck on finding a way out.
Appreciate 2
E92inNC1709.50
      10-07-2021, 11:17 PM   #12
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Born and raised in Oregon, currently live in Phoenix, moved here from Houston last year (lol).

Houston sucks. Like bad. Stay away if you like the idea of the PacNW.

Grants Pass, OR pretty much fits exactly what you said you wanted. If work didn’t take me away, I’d still be there.
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1709.50
      10-07-2021, 11:58 PM   #13
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
Born and raised in Oregon, currently live in Phoenix, moved here from Houston last year (lol).

Grants Pass, OR pretty much fits exactly what you said you wanted. If work didn’t take me away, I’d still be there.
I too grew up there, moved away nearly 8 years ago now and my fondest memory was seeing it in the rear view. My entire family on both sides have left the Oregon Washington shithole and all find many other parts of the country better. Again, If clinical depression is your thing, have at it. To each their own truly but of the places you are interested in, I’d guess NC.

As a resident though, you’re clearly wise to the fact there are much cooler and largely inhabited places in the state. Namely Flag.
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1709.50
      10-08-2021, 12:19 AM   #14
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Pacific NW, primarily Seattle area, seems to fit your criteria OP. Lot of water, hikes, seafood, coldish weather without the snow. Strong economy and no state income tax as well. Traffic, well that's going to be more than Phoenix for sure, but you can always live closer to work.

Only downside, for me personally, is the poor climate. 8-9 months of overcast and drizzle were too much for me so I left. If it doesn't bother you then more power to you. I'd rather put up with the climate of the east coast where you only put up with shit weather for one season and while not consistently sunny, at least you experience sunlight enough to keep your sanity.
I’ve crossed Seattle of my list for population size and high cost of living, and not to get political but I want to live in a moderate area, slightly left or right doesn’t matter but I definitely don’t want to live in a super liberal place or Alabama. One of the things I’m looking forward to is rain, like most people here I like to keep my car clean but it’s something I’ll used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I've only visited Houston, never lived there, but it strikes me as a very characterless and bland place. No natural beauty, completely flat, lousy weather, no urban density/walkability, etc. Just endless suburban sprawl. It's not an international vacation destination for a reason.

For people who just want a low COL and quiet suburbia type of life it seems ideal. But if one wants more from life it should be avoided. Good luck on finding a way out.
Man, y’all have a very low opinion of the place for sure lol. Before deciding I’m going to fly in for a three day weekend to Houston and one place in Oregon/Washington. Maybe I’ll see what you guys are seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post

Grants Pass kinda seems in the middle of no where, I was thinking of visiting Portland or Olympia/Tacoma.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 12:25 AM   #15
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
I too grew up there, moved away nearly 8 years ago now and my fondest memory was seeing it in the rear view. My entire family on both sides have left the Oregon Washington shithole and all find many other parts of the country better. Again, If clinical depression is your thing, have at it. To each their own truly but of the places you are interested in, I’d guess NC.

As a resident though, you’re clearly wise to the fact there are much cooler and largely inhabited places in the state. Namely Flag.
Lol we’re opposite when it comes to this. Coming from Vietnam to Phoenix I miss the rain, clouds and sea breeze. I’m planning on living in several cities before hunkering down for a while. No relationship to tie me down and all of my stuff that I’d take besides the car can fit in a small Uhaul. I’ve lived in Phoenix since I was 7 and if I don’t leave soon I’ll never get out of here and see new places. The way I see it I can always come back if things don’t work out.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 01:45 AM   #16
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
I’ve crossed Seattle of my list for population size and high cost of living, and not to get political but I want to live in a moderate area, slightly left or right doesn’t matter but I definitely don’t want to live in a super liberal place or Alabama. One of the things I’m looking forward to is rain, like most people here I like to keep my car clean but it’s something I’ll used to.
I also can't tolerate places that are at the extremes politically. But I find in Seattle's Eastside suburbs at least, where most of the white collar tech workers live, people are generally reasonable and not too extreme. And fiscal policies are more libertarian (although the city of Seattle itself has gotten more extreme in the past few years). I live in Southern California now, and the people are definitely more purple but actual policies are not.

On a side note, the PNW rain actually makes you car always kinda dirty. Can't apply tire shine, can't drive with your windows open, etc. most of the year. It bothers me, but good for you if it doesn't.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2021, 05:44 AM   #17
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Grew up in Houston too. The only thing Houston has from the things on your list is seafood. I wouldn't return there. The weather sucks, I you won't want to or won't be able to do anything outdoors there (though you're from PHX, so maybe 100F and muggy is tolerable for you). It's urban sprawl for a hundred miles in every direction, traffic is as bad as LA, NYC and other major cities, it's not near any decent bodies of water and Galveston is a shithole, I don't know how anyone wants to go there for swimming or anything else for that matter. People used to be nice and respectful to eachother back in the 90s, now its a bunch of rude and entitled assholes.
The food choices and options are amazing though, you can get everything under the sun.

I live in NC now, and it's vastly superior.
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1709.50
      10-08-2021, 06:33 AM   #18
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

If trying to avoid hurricanes and tropical storms, Houston really shouldn’t be on the list at all. I’d go with Raleigh between the other choices, but I have an east coast bias.
vreihen1615226.00
E92inNC1709.50
      10-08-2021, 06:38 AM   #19
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

I was just in Raleigh last week.
Walked around the city and noted they have a city worker on every block sweeping anything that hits the ground. I was shocked.
Houston.. hell naw. It's like Atlanta. Crowded, everyone runs red lights, and the crime. BUT I can get away and go to the mountains and 5 other states, also hit the gulf, Atlantic beaches in 4 hours. So better than Houston.

I'd go with Raleigh for the triangle business. Crime is lower. Beach is nearby, you can easily get out of there, head to Hilton head SC, to chill out and load up on seafood. Or drive 2 hours up to Virginia and hit some waterfalls to go fishing.

Got hurricane issues in both places though.

When in Houston, you're stuck in the belly of Texas. Can't hop in the ride and easily see the mountains, head over to Virginia and Tennessee to ride the tail of the dragon, or simply easily drive to another state just for a staycation. Plus…that little freak winter ice weather event that crippled the state, and a group of individuals bound for Cancun.
Ran my relatives right out of the state. I was shocked they pulled up out of there and left.
Where did they go?

Raleigh
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615226.00
E92inNC1709.50
      10-08-2021, 07:54 AM   #20
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
NC of your list for sure. How you landed on Houston above the rest is beyond me

I also saw you mentioned Tallahassee. It's actually a cool town with an impressive infrastructure for what it is. Slow pace, no traffic, giant oaks and canopy roads, tons of outdoor activities, mild winters, middle of the road politics. The thing that's a bit goofy is that it's like an island. You've got two hours+ in any direction before you hit anything else of substance. That said, it's close proximity to a lot of cool small towns like Thomasville. We live in the middle of horse farms but are in town with anything you could possibly want in 10 minutes or less. Hurricanes really aren't a concern in terms of damage, but most have generators.

Coming from Atlanta, this has been a very welcomed change.
Appreciate 2
E92inNC1709.50
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      10-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #21
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Washington is about 6months overcast/rain and 6 months beautiful mild sun/ spring.

The fall winters months don't bother me since there are plenty of outdoor activities to do here and take advantage of the colder months. I live about 30 minutes from a ski resort so that's been great!

The summer months are mostly mild warm and beautiful greenery! You can easily wash your car in the direct sunlight here. It is wonderful. Not to mention all the great places to hike, mtb, fish, etc here!!!
      10-08-2021, 09:04 AM   #22
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Houston checks none of those boxes, minus the seafood. Pacific Northwest and the Carolinas are your best bets.
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1709.50