BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-31-2021, 03:20 PM   #1
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Random Thought of the Day - Car Taxation

I always think about this and it makes me wonder a bit...

When a car is sold in the USA as new, the new owner pays a sales tax on it. When the car is resold, the new owner pays tax on it again... and it keeps going and going every time the car is sold. The reason for this is because we pay car sales tax based on each transactional sale and not on the "car itself" nor its usage.

This only applies to cars more than anything else because the car itself has to be registered and registered at which point the new owner has to pay taxes on it.

Here is a couple of hypothetical situations-

I buy a new car and sell it one month later... is it fair for me to pay full taxes on that vehicle even though the product has been consumed for such a short time?

Should there be a useful depreciatable value with regards to taxes on car?

Should taxes instead be paid annually on the usage of a car... i.e. like real estate taxes?

Something about the way cars are taxed just doesn't make sense to me... you should be paying taxes on the usage of the car like a lease or something to the like so that roads can be upkept etc etc. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

You already pay a usage fee in the form of your registration which in some states I hear can be quite a lot.

As far as making sense... it makes perfect sense if you're on the receiving end of the taxation.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2021, 03:28 PM   #3
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Drives me absolutely fucking insane that private car purchases still need to include GST, are you fucking kidding me? In Australia GST only applies to businesses, if i buy a car from you i rightly don't pay GST because you are not a business.

It's an absolutely crazy cash grab, hate it.
Appreciate 4
ASAP10157.50
paquet629.50
omega2733136.50
      05-31-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
You already pay a usage fee in the form of your registration which in some states I hear can be quite a lot.

As far as making sense... it makes perfect sense if you're on the receiving end of the taxation.
Yea but thats the thing... it would make more sense if our current car sales tax as it is currently setup went back into the infrastructure used by the cars... i.e. roads, bridges and the like... what does it go to now? god damn social programs and other nonsense our govt spends money on...

it would be more fair to reuse that money in the form of an annual registration tax or some sort of usage tax that goes back directly to the infrastructure.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 03:37 PM   #5
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

When a car is sold in the USA as new, the new owner pays a sales tax on it. When the car is resold, the new owner pays tax on it again... and it keeps going and going every time the car is sold. The reason for this is because we pay car sales tax based on each transactional sale and not on the "car itself" nor its usage.

This only applies to cars more than anything else because the car itself has to be registered and registered at which point the new owner has to pay taxes on it.

I buy a new car and sell it one month later... is it fair for me to pay full taxes on that vehicle even though the product has been consumed for such a short time?

Should taxes instead be paid annually on the usage of a car... i.e. like real estate taxes?

Something about the way cars are taxed just doesn't make sense to me... you should be paying taxes on the usage of the car like a lease or something to the like so that roads can be upkept etc etc. Thoughts?
Tax law is made to benefit those who understand the law and can apply it's esoterica to their advantage.

"Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury. There is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes. Over and over again the Courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everyone does it, rich and poor alike and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands."

-Judge Learned Hand
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
ASAP10157.50
paquet629.50
      05-31-2021, 03:38 PM   #6
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

It varies by state and isn't as cut and dry as you present it.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2021, 03:46 PM   #7
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Connecticut taxes car value yearly so that sort of makes sense with what you’re suggesting.

NY taxes the transaction so they’re not necessarily taxing the car, but rather the sale transaction.

I fucking hate it either way. My biggest peeve is that dealers are able to provide you with a tax credit on trade in but if you sell privately, you don’t get any tax benefit applied to your next purchase.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10157.50
      05-31-2021, 03:46 PM   #8
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:

I would say its very cut and dry, the way we do it just isnt entirely explained well for some shady reasons. Why would car sales tax % even be different amongst states? It clearly has nothing to do w the infrastructure those cars use.

It gets even shadier in the north and mid atlantic states where some also have an "annual usage tax" like VA, where the owner then gets double double taxed lol.
      05-31-2021, 03:47 PM   #9
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Connecticut taxes car value yearly so that sort of makes sense with what you're suggesting.

NY taxes the transaction so they're not necessarily taxing the car, but rather the sale transaction.

I fucking hate it either way. My biggest peeve is that dealers are able to provide you with a tax credit on trade in but if you sell privately, you don't get any tax benefit applied to your next purchase.
So in Ct, at time of purchase do you not pay a car sales tax at a given % ? If so that makes sense, if not... then you're being double played.
      05-31-2021, 03:53 PM   #10
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Drives me absolutely fucking insane that private car purchases still need to include GST, are you fucking kidding me? In Australia GST only applies to businesses, if i buy a car from you i rightly don't pay GST because you are not a business.

It's an absolutely crazy cash grab, hate it.
That’s why I PARTIALLY appreciate AZ. Don’t pay sales taxes for private party sales. Now if we could just get this duplication taxation for dealer sale on used auto eliminated…

Edit: to clarify, even if used and purchasing from a dealer you’ll pay taxes in AZ.

Last edited by fiveohwblow; 05-31-2021 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 03:55 PM   #11
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

There’s a whole business dedicated to registering cars in Montana for ppl in other states due to lack of sales tax. Can’t count how many super cars i’ve seen with Montana plates.

Same with expensive ass RV’s.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34184.50
dinonz3216.00
      05-31-2021, 04:00 PM   #12
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
ITT we learn that Lemmie works for the gubbermint.

Up here it is reasonably straightforward, and at the same time, disgusting how many times a single item can be taxed and taxed again.
Appreciate 2
lemetier2614.00
      05-31-2021, 04:06 PM   #13
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would say its very cut and dry, the way we do it just isnt entirely explained well for some shady reasons. Why would car sales tax % even be different amongst states? It clearly has nothing to do w the infrastructure those cars use.

It gets even shadier in the north and mid atlantic states where some also have an "annual usage tax" like VA, where the owner then gets double double taxed lol.
Then how do you explain Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon where there is no sales tax?

If you want to get even murkier, the tax rate (and method) on vehicle sales can vary beyond each state. Within those, it can vary between each individual taxing district.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #14
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
ITT we learn that Lemmie is occasionally contracted by the gubbermint.
FTFY
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7929.00
      05-31-2021, 04:24 PM   #15
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
There’s a whole business dedicated to registering cars in Montana for ppl in other states due to lack of sales tax. Can’t count how many super cars i’ve seen with Montana plates.

Same with expensive ass RV’s.
This.

Most of my friends with high-value cars have Montana registration.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 04:30 PM   #16
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I generally keep my cars 10 years, so the one-time-per purchase sales tax doesn't get me wrapped around the axle too much.

As a contrast, I own a small 4-place Piper airplane and I pay property tax on it once a year. The airplane is 69 years old and it's been in our family for 57 years. That's a lot of property tax, folks.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, if I add any value to the airplane such as a new engine, upgraded avionics, etc., my annual property tax increases.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
ASAP10157.50
      05-31-2021, 04:34 PM   #17
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Then how do you explain Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon where there is no sales tax?

If you want to get even murkier, the tax rate (and method) on vehicle sales can vary beyond each state. Within those, it can vary between each individual taxing district.
I sure as heck can't explain this... can you? Can anyone? The only thing that's cut and dry is someone getting screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
This.

Yeah, my comments are more about the law itself and how a fairer reform would benefit everyone... Montana (while legal) is more of a skirting of the law which shouldn't be necessary in the first place... but again, we could talk about tax laws in the USA for days which are nonsensical from the get go.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      05-31-2021, 05:12 PM   #18
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i think montana plates make you look cheap. but its smart. i just wouldn't want to be hassled by a cop about it. having out of state plates i feel makes you stand out more to them.

anyway laws vary state to state on taxation. In my state i can sell private and use the tax credit within 180 days. So i'm only taxed on the difference between the old and new cars value. i sold my 458 to a guy in LA and bought a used gt3 from NV... and was only taxed 4% on the 20k difference. I still have to pay property tax every year though.

there are some states like illinois with no personal property tax on cars. but you gotta pay the full sales tax each time you buy a new car i think.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS

Last edited by Humdizzle; 05-31-2021 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 05:34 PM   #19
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

Actually, DE has a sales tax on motor vehicles. It's 4.5%. There is no sales tax for other items you would purchase from a store. For high dpllar items such as electronics, I have the online store ship it to my vacation home in DE if they charge sales tax if they ship it to my primary home address.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 05:41 PM   #20
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Yea but thats the thing... it would make more sense if our current car sales tax as it is currently setup went back into the infrastructure used by the cars... i.e. roads, bridges and the like... what does it go to now? god damn social programs and other nonsense our govt spends money on...

it would be more fair to reuse that money in the form of an annual registration tax or some sort of usage tax that goes back directly to the infrastructure.
Yeah it would be great if the govt knew how to manage money and spend it wisely.
Appreciate 3
      05-31-2021, 05:48 PM   #21
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:

Wow - you really missed the point. You said:

"Why would car sales tax % even be different amongst states?"

Lets shorten that slightly:

"Why would sales tax % even be different amongst states?"

Why? Because states control their own sales tax that's why! Some don't have sales tax at all (Montana - research titling an RV or Supercar in Montana) and have income tax instead. Sorry but that question REALLY highlights your lack of understanding here.

Something else with registering vehicles in Montana - it circumvents exactly the problem you described. Instead of selling the car, you sell the LLC that owns the car. No sales tax on selling a company, and the new owner doesn't even have to re-title the car - the company still owns it.

Despite it potentially saving me tens of thousands in sales tax, I didn't go down the Montana route. Didn't need any reason for extra attention when driving my cars in Texas on Montana plates.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615239.50
MKSixer34184.50
      05-31-2021, 05:56 PM   #22
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
This.

I nearly did this, but shied away because I knew I wanted the cars in Texas, and I didn't want the police pulling me over asking why I had Montana plated cars pretty much permanently in Texas (my 2 Lamborghinis are HIGHLY distinctive and cops will recognize them) and then also I didn't want any insurance hassles either with cars insured in Montana and based in Texas etc.

However, I have just learned recently that this was almost a huge mistake - when I retire and return to NZ, I can only take in cars titled in my personal name - so anything owned by a Montana LLC would not be considered my car and I'd have to pay 20% duties and tax to take them home. Sadly, I learned this after I title the Ferrari (not such a big deal) but also after the Diablo - it's titled under my Texas LLC, so to take it to NZ with me I have to "sell" it back to myself now, and pay the sales tax again
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34184.50
Humdizzle6054.00