BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #45
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Good progress on the resume then - also it's ok to ask for specifics like "oh glad you thought it was impressive! Do you have any feedback on parts you liked / parts I could further refine perhaps?"

WRT 2.5 months till graduation - keep grinding now. Having something with a start date shortly after graduation is better than starting an interview process with a company after graduation, because the interview process can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. And in the meantime you'll still have bills and expenses.

Boston has some solid tech jobs, I know a couple people who moved there for software engineering jobs straight out of college or even early / mid career for a pay boost / career boost. Roku could be a great one to start with, but I'd really start trying to refine what roles you want to do. Sales, recruiting, project management, whatever. I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about having the "right" degree so much as supplementing it with training and certifications at this point. I'd also look and see what certifications people with your current degree tend to get - it'll be easier to knock out in conjunction with or shortly after you just had classes in it rather than trying to go back later and remember things after you brain dumped post-final-exam. Even if you don't end up using the certification directly, there are always nuggets of wisdom there and it can aid you in guiding your thought process by giving you more experiences to draw on. Plus it shows a continued interest in growth, rather than just "alright I got the degree I'm good to go now and don't need to do anything else".
I think looking around for various other industry certifications to boost my resume is an excellent idea.

In my one class this semester we are required to acquire two proper SHRM certifications before the end of the class. I have also been acquiring Linkedin learning certificates that get posted on my Linkedin profile about HR and general business topics. I will take a look tonight to see if I can find anymore that would look good on my resume.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #46
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

As an example - people studying Computer Science can often knock out a CCNA certification during their degree studies if they wish, because there's a lot of overlap. In your case it may be something more related to finance, or maybe Six Sigma.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:30 PM   #47
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Yesterday I was denied by J&J and two other companies I applied to on one of my application frenzies. Today I got two personal emails from Cisco and Ferguson saying they want to interview me.

The Cisco job is to be a FT project manager. It pretty much everything I wanted in a post college job so I really hope it pans out. The location is good, the company culture is good and I feel like the job description matches my skill set.

I never thought of this before but I think I know exactly what to say during the interview to show Cisco that I know how to analyze and problem solve. I want to explain how I figured out how to get cheap car parts on eBay. Only 1/2 the battle of starting up my CIC kits was figuring out how to technically do it. The other 1/2 was figuring out how to source parts for cheap. If you go on eBay and search "CIC" or E90 CIC" you will get a bunch of listings for about $200 for the screen and $200 for the head unit.

Most modern cars have over 20 modules, do you think someone knows what each of these 20 modules are for all of the make and models of cars? Absolutely not, junkyards can barely manage to separate bad used parts from good or remove parts without breaking them. I asked myself how would a junkyard list a CIC? I searched and found out that most junkyards in the US use the "hollander" list to find compatibility and to list their parts. What does hollander parts call a CIC? They call it "Audio Equipment Radio Am-fm-cd Receiver With Satellite Fits 10-16 BMW Z4". I searched that term on eBay and there are a load of CICs ranging from $50-$150. With that price range I am able to make some good money. The funny thing is that this version of the CIC does not even fit the Z4 so even the hollander list is wrong.

Any thoughts? Would that be too technical?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #48
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Yesterday I was denied by J&J and two other companies I applied to on one of my application frenzies. Today I got two personal emails from Cisco and Ferguson saying they want to interview me.

The Cisco job is to be a FT project manager. It pretty much everything I wanted in a post college job so I really hope it pans out. The location is good, the company culture is good and I feel like the job description matches my skill set.

I never thought of this before but I think I know exactly what to say during the interview to show Cisco that I know how to analyze and problem solve. I want to explain how I figured out how to get cheap car parts on eBay. Only 1/2 the battle of starting up my CIC kits was figuring out how to technically do it. The other 1/2 was figuring out how to source parts for cheap. If you go on eBay and search "CIC" or E90 CIC" you will get a bunch of listings for about $200 for the screen and $200 for the head unit.

Most modern cars have over 20 modules, do you think someone knows what each of these 20 modules are for all of the make and models of cars? Absolutely not, junkyards can barely manage to separate bad used parts from good or remove parts without breaking them. I asked myself how would a junkyard list a CIC? I searched and found out that most junkyards in the US use the "hollander" list to find compatibility and to list their parts. What does hollander parts call a CIC? They call it "Audio Equipment Radio Am-fm-cd Receiver With Satellite Fits 10-16 BMW Z4". I searched that term on eBay and there are a load of CICs ranging from $50-$150. With that price range I am able to make some good money. The funny thing is that this version of the CIC does not even fit the Z4 so even the hollander list is wrong.

Interview for the position you are applying for. Based on that story I'd say you are more suited to be a purchaser, not necessarily a PM. Focus on why you performed that search - i.e. ensuring that you will make a suitable return. Speak to the customer that you developed the kits for. How you, I'd assume, set turn around times and ensured that they were delivered within those time frames. Did you every run into issues with those customers - meaning parts that did not work or maybe they did not install properly - were you able to properly deduce the issue and come to a resolution. Etc, etc. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #49
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

1. Project manager on what? Ferguson job is for....what? Project manager also?

2. Analyzing and problem solving is all well and good but as a project manager your job will be centered more around tracking, coordinating, and communicating. Familiarize yourself with Excel, Jira, etc.

3. Don't go into an interview with a plan for a specific question - you never know who you'll get and what they'll ask. If you spend all your time prepping for a question that never comes, you may struggle to answer whatever they DO ask you. Have a general idea of some of the generic questions, but don't get too hung up on a specific one - be ready to think on your feet.

4. By generic typical questions (and not just talking about Cisco here) I mean the usual "what would you say are your strengths / weakness" "where do you see yourself in 5 years" etc. But at the same time I've also had random questions about other companies before - "how does google maps know traffic?" or random things like "why do you think manhole covers are round?"
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #50
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
1. Project manager on what? Ferguson job is for....what? Project manager also?

2. Analyzing and problem solving is all well and good but as a project manager your job will be centered more around tracking, coordinating, and communicating. Familiarize yourself with Excel, Jira, etc.

3. Don't go into an interview with a plan for a specific question - you never know who you'll get and what they'll ask. If you spend all your time prepping for a question that never comes, you may struggle to answer whatever they DO ask you. Have a general idea of some of the generic questions, but don't get too hung up on a specific one - be ready to think on your feet.

4. By generic typical questions (and not just talking about Cisco here) I mean the usual "what would you say are your strengths / weakness" "where do you see yourself in 5 years" etc. But at the same time I've also had random questions about other companies before - "how does google maps know traffic?" or random things like "why do you think manhole covers are round?"
The Ferguson job is for inside sales of construction supplies. They seem to be fast tracking my interview process since I had two one way interviews today.

I took this in to consideration and I felt like I really tailored my responses for the qualifications of the job. Only time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:43 PM   #51
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The Ferguson job is for inside sales of construction supplies. They seem to be fast tracking my interview process since I had two one way interviews today.

I took this in to consideration and I felt like I really tailored my responses for the qualifications of the job. Only time will tell.
What about the Cisco one? Curious which org - I know Meraki / AppDynamics groups have a solid reputation but it also varies by location.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 01:56 PM   #52
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
What about the Cisco one? Curious which org - I know Meraki / AppDynamics groups have a solid reputation but it also varies by location.
Here is the link to the Cisco gig, I have an interview with them this Wednesday: https://jobs.cisco.com/jobs/ProjectD...States/1299488

I just got an email for the Ferguson rep saying they want to interview me again on Monday. I guess the construction industry is smilier to the automotive industry and they really want me. I was told yesterday they actually paid by the hour and based on a 40 hour work week I would make between $40,000-$52,000 a year. I wonder if they would let me work 50-55 hours a week? If it was salaried there is no way I would work that much but if I am paid hourly then I am directly compensated for how long I work.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #53
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hmmmm I don't know much about the IoT group besides the general feeling that Cisco is one of the market leaders when it comes to IoT. I do have a long bet on Cisco for infrastructure related to it, I just don't really know the internal team dynamics of it. I have a friend in the Meraki group and a contact or two in the AppD group which is why I know their reputations internally.

Looks like your prospects are solid either way though so good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #54
Rkt48
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 Alpine White-SOLD

Echo the doer piece. Demonstrate really well you are a doer. Everyone says they work hard but some just don’t. Demonstrating your business while in school tells me you are a doer. Definitely promote that. When I interview people I always try and cut through the fluff and buzzwords and get to the proof of them executing. Not every effort is a success and that is ok to me but you have to demonstrate effort and what you have learned as a result of succes and failure. To me a degree demonstrates your capability to learn. With that you also have a business you have created demonstrating real world experience do your best to promote that second piece and be that Doer!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #55
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
I had my Ferguson phone interview and was offered a spot at their candidate recruiting event / final interview next week. In addition to facility tours and networking I will have three, 30 minute interviews with head management. I am super excited that I have a real opportunity at landing a job before I graduate.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      02-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #56
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Congrats on making it to the next round. I would advise tempered / cautious optimism as the technical interviews are likely over, and head management interviews may trend more towards culture fit / team dynamics / interpersonal communication skills. How to handle conflict with coworkers or management, how you conduct yourself if you see something wrong, etc.

...though, in some of my previous jobs the head management issues consisted of chatting Starcraft strategy for an hour. In my current job, the final head management interview consisted mostly of talking golf for 30 minutes. So who knows what to expect.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #57
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
I had my Cisco phone call interview and I was invited to a proper interview today. I am shocked since I did not think my answers were not that good. They really hounded on previous group experiences which I don't have much of since I have been doing my own thing. I will need to get something good together this time as it is a 30 to 60 minute interview.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #58
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Like I said before it's not always about how "good" your answer is vs your thought process to arrive at it.

General interviewing techniques / advice:

1. Think out loud - it's ok to ramble a little bit as long as it's quick and directed. Meaning, show what your brain is bouncing off of to arrive at a given conclusion. Example: "What would you do in X situation?" Answer: "Hmmm...well, if I did A I'd have to consider B & C, do you have any assumptions I can make for those? No? Ok then I'd probably go with doing D, though that would involve N, or possibly go with doing E instead. On the other hand if I can assume B & C involve blah, then I would explore F."

So you're bouncing off of 2-3 different decision choices and showing that you're considering secondary effects / dependencies to make your decision, but realistically in a 30 min interview where you may get asked 3-5 of these questions they're not expecting a fully fleshed out roadmap - just thoughtful consideration and logical problem solving skills.

2. Ask expanding / clarifying questions. In the military / on the shooting range we refer to it as "know your left and right limits" to keep your fire directed towards the target. You could also think of it as the foul lines in baseball - try to figure out where your boundaries are so you can stay on target / in bounds, and just because you started in-bounds doesn't mean you can't drift out of bounds. Treat it as a conversation with the recruiter, not a soapbox monologue necessarily.

3. If no dress code is told, assume business casual - polo shirt + slacks, tie + button up, no jacket, something along those lines. Unless you're a lawyer or maybe interviewing for finance. In which case full suit. (You can also ask the recruiter who's setting up the interview what the company's expectation / protocol is - sometimes the interviewer may have a different preference than the company policy).

4. Be 5 min early even if the interviewer runs late.

5. Have your 30 second elevator pitch "about me" ready to go at all times, and have a core "story" you can stick to while swapping details as relevant to the interviewer / position - just like your resume as I mentioned before and swapping out targeted blurbs towards the position or company.

6. Keep your additional questions we mentioned before - about the interviewer, the company, the team, etc - in mind to ask at the last 5-10 minutes.

7. Keep the company's motto / slogan / whatever in mind as you answer questions, and see if you can work it in / tie your answer to how your ideas / proposals / decisions would link to the overall mission, even loosely.

In a meeting right now so just a couple quick notes. Good luck.

edit - expansion to #1 - in programming we call it the "naive" solution to a given problem, but the gist of it is you always want to at LEAST get the obvious answer first at a minimum and then build on refining it with whatever time you have left. Stupid simplified example : "What is 2+2?" "Well, obviously it's 4, but you could also do 2*2 to get 4. If what you're really asking is how to sum two numbers, then A+B=C and you would be able to plug in any number besides 2 to still get the correct answer. On the other hand if what you're trying to do is double an initial quantity, it would be better to multiply A*2 as simply adding 2 would not give you the correct amount and would be further away from the correct amount the larger the number is."

Take it, explore it, mull it over, ask questions, refine. Fair warning - this may take too long for some questions, may go too far into the weeds for others, and your interviewer may smoothly shift to another question entirely mid-answer. It might sound like they're just asking a clarifying question but in actuality it's a whole new problem. So thinking on your feet is key. Don't get stuck on a 1-track mind.

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 02-25-2021 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
jmack548.50
Nickco431456.00
      03-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #59
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Well shit after two weeks wait I was denied. To add insult to injury my F10 engine is sludged up from the original owner and I am dumping it at a loss to carvana.

Feeling sorry for myself is not going to change anything and I have started applying for more jobs. Now with a month and a half before graduation it is time to kick it into high gear. Fingers crossed I get another opportunity soon and find another car.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #60
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well shit after two weeks wait I was denied. To add insult to injury my F10 engine is sludged up from the original owner and I am dumping it at a loss to carvana.

Feeling sorry for myself is not going to change anything and I have started applying for more jobs. Now with a month and a half before graduation it is time to kick it into high gear. Fingers crossed I get another opportunity soon and find another car.
Sorry to hear that...but denials will happen. Everything is just about reducing the rate and number of them but it will rarely if ever be non-zero, especially when just starting out.

You got this man we're rooting for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:18 PM   #61
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
My linkedin profile was picked up by the algorithm and I got a few cold emails from recruiters. The one seems like a proper full time job and I have a phone call setup for tomorrow and the other was an independent contractor role selling insurance.

In an act of desperation I emailed the Toyota rep that I had her contact information for and she punted my information to the head college recruiter and she finally responded asking me to apply to Toyota Financial Services. Super excited I have a new chance with Toyota NA.

I replaced my blown F10 with a super clean F30. Even though I am now piss broke I am happy I found a clean car in this terrible used car market.
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2021, 06:28 PM   #62
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Welp got denied from Toyota, again. I think it's time to start ramping up my CIC production again as the odds of getting hired before I graduate in about two weeks is almost zero.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #63
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

At least you got the Bimmer?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 03:35 PM   #64
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
I just accepted a job offer with Gates Automotive for their Automotive sales leadership program in Denver. Thanks everyone for their support! My nine month job search is finally over.

I am flying out to Denver tonight to check the place out and to look for housing.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1614886.50
JP102462.00
      05-17-2021, 06:51 PM   #65
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Congrats dude.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 11:06 AM   #66
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I just accepted a job offer with Gates Automotive for their Automotive sales leadership program in Denver. Thanks everyone for their support! My nine month job search is finally over.

I am flying out to Denver tonight to check the place out and to look for housing.
Congrats! Gates used to be a client of mine. It will be a good company for you to start your career. They have a nice brand new office in Downtown Denver if that's where you'll be working eventually. You may be shocked with the rent prices in Denver, but that's just part of being young and broke when you land your first corporate job.
2011 X5 35i BSM/Black - Retired
2011 335i Coupe Alpine White/Saddle - Retired (ED)
Appreciate 0