BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-11-2021, 08:53 PM   #23
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Unless you're going skiing, I'd skip Europe in the winter time.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2021, 09:02 PM   #24
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

It really depends on what you want to do while in-country. Let us know a little more for better advice. You have "narrowed" it down to vastly different locations. If you've not been to London, you could spend 10 days there. You mentioned Ireland but it will be dark and cold in late-December / January.

Similarly, Croatia could be dismal in January. I would stay in the Mediterranean in late Dec./early Jan. for these locations. Remember to plan ahead and visit during the day and travel at night via train so you don't miss visit times. Italy will be off-season, cooler, and ready for you in late Dec./early Jan. Of everywhere you cited, southern-italy will have the best weather at that time. However, for me, it offers the least.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3132.50
      10-11-2021, 09:42 PM   #25
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post

Since no one does an entire country, you would have to be more specific as to what you were doing while abroad. You are only going to be there 10 days. Turkey is huge so unless you're just going to do Istanbul and surroundings (and that would be okay) you won't have time to do much more.

Germany has been underwhelming for decades - unless you're in your 20's and are looking for clubbing.

Ireland (again) is distinctly different from north to south so... where would you be?

Italy will be at it's coolest. Summer's are beastly there so if you haven't been to Cinque Terre in the fall/winter - that would be my suggestion. Italy in the winter is sublime. Whether you're going to spend 10 days in Rome or 2 days each in Milan, Venice & Florence & Rome. Or 3 days each in Milan Venice and Rome - you can't go wrong.

Portugal is very different from top to bottom - where would you be?
We are definitely not trying to do an entire country. I was looking for general feedback on people's thoughts, the cities they enjoyed and why.

I've gained some great insight thus far and can now dig a little deeper.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:49 PM   #26
Joe T
Rep
Drives: F16 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Where are y'all thinking about as far as Caribbean? We've been fortunate to visit quite a few islands. We were in Exuma in May and went to the beach a few times this summer so taking a break this trip.
Great question, if it's just the wife and I, we like St Barts, actually I like St Barts, and my wife LOVES Martinique. I think it's a bit "too European" verses Caribbean.

If we're taking our teenaged (18&19) daughters, we like Aruba. It's a good blend of relaxing and things to do

That said, I think maybe Turks and Caicos this Christmas. We have another family we vacation quite a bit and they're big divers and love T&C
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 07:25 AM   #27
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
We are planning a trip from December 26-Jan 4th or 5th. We've narrowed it down to these countries. For those who have been to any of these countries, which would you choose and why? If you wouldn't choose a particular country I'm open to hearing about those reasons as well.

Croatia
Germany
Ireland
Italy (been but did northern the last time)
Portugal
Turkey
great list! looks a lot like our family's to-do list.

we've done ireland (dublin, galway, ring of kerry) and it was our favorite family trip of all time (kids were 18 and 20 at the time).

i did germany with college buddies a long time ago, but it feels like the right choice from your list at the time of year you want to go. havent been to the others yet, but they all feel like warm weather destinations to me.

after watching the 100-foot wave documentary on HBO, i think you gotta do portugal and nazare in october!

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3132.50
      10-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #28
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I strongly recommend Monaco if thats an option
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 01:29 PM   #29
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T View Post
[

That said, I think maybe Turks and Caicos this Christmas. We have another family we vacation quite a bit and they're big divers and love T&C
I loved T&C! The water is some of the prettiest I have seen next to Exuma. The have some great restaurants as well. It's very nice and peaceful. They have a small reef right off Grace Bay you can snorkel which is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
after watching the 100-foot wave documentary on HBO, i think you gotta do portugal and nazare in october!
I saw the same show and would love to go and see that! Maybe I can push our Greece trip back a few weeks and hop over to Portugal to experience this next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
I strongly recommend Monaco if thats an option
It actually was an option but don't know much about it and was trying to narrow it down somewhat so I crossed that one off. Also, what did you love about Florence? That was an area of Italy I was interested in. I feel the same as many others about Rome as in I could do a day or so but not much more.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #30
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I've done Italy & Germany in September, but never winter.

Munich for Oktoberfest - was only there a couple of days but had a wonderful time.

Italy - Rome (was horrible & disgusting. Only enjoyed the tourist spots, otherwise very dirty city). Florence - gorgeous & our favorite stay the entire 4 wks we were in Europe.
Venice - very fun city, especially with navigating all of the canals. Had a very cool fresh food market while we were there.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #31
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
I loved T&C! The water is some of the prettiest I have seen next to Exuma. The have some great restaurants as well. It's very nice and peaceful. They have a small reef right off Grace Bay you can snorkel which is nice.

I saw the same show and would love to go and see that! Maybe I can push our Greece trip back a few weeks and hop over to Portugal to experience this next year!

It actually was an option but don't know much about it and was trying to narrow it down somewhat so I crossed that one off. Also, what did you love about Florence? That was an area of Italy I was interested in. I feel the same as many others about Rome as in I could do a day or so but not much more.
Bistecca alla Fiorentina at Trattoria dall'oste chiniari (sp?) is something you must eat if you go to Florence. There are a number of dall'oste's locations, but the chiniari one which is near il dumo, is a must try. Came recommended by a chef that was doing our food course that we took that day.

The duomo is just deeply impressive walking around outside (we never went in, but you can). There is a lookout in Florence as well (across the river), maybe a 2km walk, very easy which lets you have a good view of Florence. Very popular and crowded though.

I went in not expecting to like Florence but I wound up liking it a lot.

Go to the scuola del cuoio for leather and to watch them work if you want something in leather. Be prepared, you will pay, dearly too, but I believe it is true quality (most of it)...the cheap little trinkets, no, not at all. My wife and I both bought leather coats there which are fantastic. Plus the school just has a cool history.

https://scuoladelcuoio.it/en/content/9-history

We really liked Amalfi coast too.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3132.50
      10-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #32
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
We're open on what to do. I like hearing first hand experiences because I run across things I may not have done otherwise. We are early 40's and active. I am not a group tour person at all.

We went to Venice last time and really enjoyed it. I had the best lobster tagatelli. If I could have picked my plate up and licked it I would have .

We love the water and outdoors so I will move Croatia to a warmer time. Hearing that makes me excited to visit!

This pictures are gorgeous! I would love to pick your brain a bit more on Germany as it's large and wouldn't know where to start.

If we choose Italy I'm interested in Florence, maybe 2 days in Rome and more of southern Italy this time since we were more north last time.
In winter, outdoor activities are limited unless you are skiing, as already mentioned. Are you skiing?

If not skiing, driving/sightseeing and walking through the cities are the main activities I have done in the past. Strasbourg is one of my favorite cities in that part of the world. Deep history, great architecture and more German than you would think if you haven't been there. The left bank of the Rhine is Germanic from the headwaters to the North Sea. Not many people appreciate that. The left bank includes Alsace and Lorraine.

I can recommend a great small inn in Oppenau, south of Baden Baden. In the Oppenau area is where the Schwarzwald photos earlier in this thread were taken. Oppenau is not far from Strasbourg, so the small inn can be a quiet mountain getaway from the larger city that is Strasbourg.

In the vicinity are the Dolomites in Italy, the village of Cortina d'Ampezzo as previously mentioned is great. And the Corvara/Marmolada area. If you aren't skiing, you will be driving and enjoying the mountains, staying in nice inns and eating at good restaurants.

Also in the area is the Großglockner area of Austria. Not sure what your budget is, but the Grandhotel Lienz is strongly recommended. It's a 4++ star or 5- star hotel. Lienz is a great mountain town to use as a base in that area. Photo below is the Grandhotel Lienz. Again, if not skiing there is great driving mountain views, villages and restaurants.

If Munich is your thing, also take a look at Kitzbühel, Austria. It's a large ski area with deep alpine skiing history (Franz Klammer won some titles there).

Not sure if you listed this, but the lago area of northern Italy, bordering Switzerland is nice. Besides the lakes (sightseeing, not boating in December) also nearby is St. Moritz, Switzerland with its Olympic history.
Attached Images

Last edited by chassis; 10-12-2021 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3132.50
      10-13-2021, 07:47 AM   #33
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Germany in the winter is fun. Pretty much every town has a Christmas market. Make sure you get the hot spiced wine. Then hit the alps
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3132.50
      10-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #34
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

@Joekerr I feel like Florence is moving up on my list. Thanks for sharing!

chassis I would be open to skiing. My husband not so much. He's not a great skier. We actually went to Strasbourg the last time we were in Europe and I loved that little town! Seeing it decorated for Christmas was so nice and we enjoyed the Christmas markets. When we left there we spent the day in Zurich (wasn't a fan) and then took the train to Chur, Switzerland. The next morning we took the Bernina Express up through the Swiss Alps which descended in Tirano, Italy. We passed St. Moritz on our way to Italy. I really wanted to spend time there but we didn't plan that trip out.

The next 2 nights I'm trying to narrow it down because we have to get something booked by next week due to flight credits expiring.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:42 PM   #35
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Visit Madeira, a Portuguese owned island off Morocco. Direct flights from JFK. Soooooooo nice, beautiful and cheap. Trust me! Look it up. Don’t meet me there, beat me there…..
Appreciate 0