BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #23
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

How old are you? Sounds like all your stress comes from lack of job/money. Isn't that an easy fix these days? Here it seems like we got work everywhere.....

I remember when I lost my job and also wasted a year trying stuff that didn't really work out. I had the money, but still decided to sell my BMW right away and pay off like 3k I owned on it. Sold, bought S2000, paid off loan, and had like 5k cash left and I had a much better car too in the end ))

I also though covid got people pretty good cash flow. I know many people that were broke pre covid, now all ended up with ton of money )) loans, unemployment, stimulus, child credits...crazy how much cash they gave out.

To be honest I also feel like a looser sometimes, working and working....while everyone around me banks on stocks and crypto lol
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #24
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post

I also though covid got people pretty good cash flow. I know many people that were broke pre covid, now all ended up with ton of money )) loans, unemployment, stimulus, child credits...crazy how much cash they gave out.
l
I have been working since day 1 of COVID and never got a penny of "handouts"
Appreciate 1
essejM360.50
      10-05-2021, 10:54 PM   #25
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Weed is some good stuff for anxiety....maybe you need a different strain because you shouldn't be experiencing anxiety with the good stuff. It really comes down to moderating so you get enough to take the edge off but not so much that you are lazy and lethargic.

I don't do it very much anymore just due to family, etc......but for the year or so I did it here and there, it was one of the most calm and retrospective times of my life. Was really anti-weed before that. I obviously missed out and didn't know what I was talking about.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 04:43 AM   #26
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Weed is some good stuff for anxiety....maybe you need a different strain because you shouldn't be experiencing anxiety with the good stuff. It really comes down to moderating so you get enough to take the edge off but not so much that you are lazy and lethargic.

I don't do it very much anymore just due to family, etc......but for the year or so I did it here and there, it was one of the most calm and retrospective times of my life. Was really anti-weed before that. I obviously missed out and didn't know what I was talking about.
Interesting post. My old business partner was and is a full-time smoker; it brings out the worst in him; stress, irrationality, mood swings, etc. And it's even worse if he tries to cut back or quit for a while, then he evens out again. From what I've seen, I couldn't recommend it to anyone! Alcohol is no better, and its effects are much more sneaky.

Staying clean, healthy and fit really is the best for the mind and body.

YMMV

Edit: And to the OP, kudos for talking about it and recognising the situation. I know some of your pains and frustrations. Keep working at it.

Last edited by Tambohamilton; 10-06-2021 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 4
M5Rick58903.50
shimmy232330.00
S1nner118.00
      10-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #27
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Kind of embarrassing because I know some people on the forums personally, but I don't really have anywhere else to vent about this. Around the start of Summer 2020 I left my job due to lack of work. I worked in management in the automotive field and our business was doing so poorly I was barely able to get 5 hours/week when I was used to getting 55-60. I had some money saved up and along with partial unemployment I decided to work on something personal that I've been wanting to do for a long time. My closest friend was and is involved and very successful in the field, I actually moved in with him and have been partially working for him and trying to get my own operation started up. I've had issues with depression but much more than that, issues with anxiety in the past. I can normally manage it well but sometimes it just gets to you. I've had to deal with a ludicrous amount of stress in the last 20 years of my life, not trying to toot my own horn but few people have been through and dealt with the circumstances I've dealt with, I've just noticed what I've been through is quite irregular over the years. Anyway, I can handle stress pretty good.

I've had serious issues with motivation while working at home. I've made progress here and there but I'm pretty much no where from where I've started. The partial unemployment ran out almost a year ago, have been so caught up in myself that I finally realized I have been burning through the remainder of my savings. I feel like such a failure. I know with my previous employment I can always go back to it, don't necessarily want to though. I just wish I didn't waste so much of my fucking time. I had a really good opportunity to try and get started but my anxiety and laziness got the better of me. How can I be such a depressed, unmotivated fuck now - yet be the most productive person working overtime daily at a normal job? I feel like I wasted a whole year and a year's worth of income and now I'm pretty much right where I started pre-COVID.

Will probably stay out the rest of my lease with my friend here in Texas, not really sure what I'm going to do after that. Can't necessarily live with him while working a normal job(he has a pretty particular lifestyle and doesn't mesh at all with normal life, nothing bad just it requires a lot of odd time management/lifestyle I guess). Don't really have any fallbacks, money burning, of course still dealing with car issues. Oh and my phone got repaired and the screen started coming off so I've been without a telephone for two days because it's in the shop, can't stop thinking about the $800 I owe the State of California because I couldn't pay the $500 ticket in time. IDK. I'm just stressed the fuck out and have pretty much no one to talk to. Sad I know. Driving home today from the phone repair place I started having palpitations and the precursors to a panic attack, which I'm actually going through right now as of typing this. I just took some weed though so I'm calming down a bit, may drink a little too. :-)

Good things I have going for me: -25ish pounds after the last two months of trying to lose weight, less than 1 more year of car payments before I'm auto-debt free, and I have the possibility of writing off 2-3 serious marks on my credit(if i can cough up some extra dough) in the next couple of months.
It's possible this is clinical depression and I recommend seeing a physician. It's a recurring, treatable illness. It does not always present the same way as it has before.

I was out of work on disability for 2+ years, and found what you describe easy to fall into. I developed work-like routines that got me out of bed, out of the house, and into life on my regular work days. I found that the less time I allowed myself to think about me and my aches and my bills and my various failings (we all have them) the better I felt emotionally and physically. This invariably meant finding ways to do things for other people. Towards the end of the disability, I had taken on 3-4 volunteer roles. Now back to work almost 3 years, I credit the changes in me that this approach facilitated every bit as much as the physical improvements after a surgery - all of it getting me back in the workplace and a healthy frame of mind.

Take care.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 08:23 AM   #28
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
It's possible this is clinical depression and I recommend seeing a physician. It's a recurring, treatable illness. It does not always present the same way as it has before.

I was out of work on disability for 2+ years, and found what you describe easy to fall into. I developed work-like routines that got me out of bed, out of the house, and into life on my regular work days. I found that the less time I allowed myself to think about me and my aches and my bills and my various failings (we all have them) the better I felt emotionally and physically. This invariably meant finding ways to do things for other people. Towards the end of the disability, I had taken on 3-4 volunteer roles. Now back to work almost 3 years, I credit the changes in me that this approach facilitated every bit as much as the physical improvements after a surgery - all of it getting me back in the workplace and a healthy frame of mind.

Take care.
+1 My mind is a mess if I'm idle; I've got to keep busy! Easy to fall into that rut of doing nothing, then stagnating though.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 10:24 AM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

Take care.
So you DON'T recommend just taking bong hits and eating Cheetos?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #30
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:

Take care.
So you DON'T recommend just taking bong hits and eating Cheetos?
Maybe. I don't claim to know the universal secrets to life, only what's worked for me. Give it a try and report back to the group….
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #31
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

sorry to hear OP but know you are not alone and you can turn this around. No matter your age you have time to do so. The first part is admitting to yourself there is something that needs to change. Which it sounds like you are doing now.

I had a few people in my life that have gone through tough times and what worked for them is reaching out to a therapist of some sort and working through things with them. There are a lot of free options out there if money is an issue. If access is an issue you can get online help as well. This would be my best advice. ITs ok to ask for help.

Talking to someone often times really helps.

good luck OP, hang in there and believe and invest in yourself. you are capable of whatever you want to do, believe it and stick with the process.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 07:23 AM   #32
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

The issues you describe would benefit from professional psychotherapy; much less likely to find real relief from the self-help/talk to friends approach (not that those are in any way bad, but not sufficient). Pills might help, but they will be like a pain-killer - they suppress the discomfort, but allow the underlying issue to fester (SSRI or SNRI, I'd avoid benzos and sedatives altogether). Use whatever benefits you have, or the local nonprofit network, to find somebody who you can work with on this. These are very common issues, so should not be hard to find somebody who can provide good solution-focussed approaches (something like short-term CBT or ACT, not 10 years of Woody-Allen style couch-talk about how you were toilet trained). You owe it to yourself to get the pro assist - wouldn't you do that for a gnarly car repair?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 08:45 AM   #33
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Preface: I'm not a Dr. but have decades of practical experience in many aspects of mental health. I also have no connection of any kind to my recommendations.

Maynard has some sound advice. Mental health should be the 1st stop for many of us but given the unfortunate stigma, many put this last. As mentioned there are many emerging forms of treatment that can have a significant impact in a reasonable amount of time. One area that is interesting to me is NeuroAffective Relational Model (NARM). You can read more about it here. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to have an off-line discussion.
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 08:34 AM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Maybe. I don't claim to know the universal secrets to life, only what's worked for me. Give it a try and report back to the group….
LOL. Nah, I'm stronger than that.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 01:59 PM   #35
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Ummmm, anyone else notice the OP hasn't checked back in on this thread for 10 days? "Depressed, anxiety-ridden, and frankly kinda scared" has not turned into kinda missing. Hope you're OK Fritzer .
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 02:01 PM   #36
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Ummmm, anyone else notice the OP hasn't checked back in on this thread for 10 days? "Depressed, anxiety-ridden, and frankly kinda scared" has not turned into kinda missing. Hope you're OK Fritzer .
Yup. I keep looking for a response from him. Hope he’s ok.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      10-09-2021, 02:34 PM   #37
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I'm following too and am a little concerned at OP's thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #38
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Op last signed in today at 12:18. Everyone can relax and breathe.

Also possible he just may not want to talk about it.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00