BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #1
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

What are you doing Chevy?

I get that electric cars are coming whether we want them or not, but please not the corvette.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/25/busin...tte/index.html

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
You're about 3 years late haha. Ship has sailed.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 12:06 PM   #3
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

to quote Larry "the liquidator" the ICE age is going the way of "Buggy whips" and the bow tie needs to stay relevant.
      04-25-2022, 12:09 PM   #4
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Get with the program or get left behind. Even the 911 is going hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 12:57 PM   #5
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

It shouldn’t be a surprise with the newest EPA regulations. Everything is going to be a hybrid or EV going forward. They’ll sell it as the hybrid being even faster, but its the same reason why your M car defaults to eco mode on start or the asinine auto stop features exist.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 01:24 PM   #6
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Enthusiasts have to come to grips with the fact that it's happening and nothing can stop it. If you fancy yourself as an ICE for life person, you best be making plans to procure one or more of the great ICE cars on sale today as this news should not be a surprise to anyone that doesn't have their head buried under sand.
Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
kyriian883.50
Efthreeoh17205.00
      04-25-2022, 01:28 PM   #7
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

This isn't news and it won't be the only model. They still have to go racing at 24hr Le Mans, an all electric is decades away from winning at Le Mans. Hybrid is the next step, Porsche is following with the 911.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      04-25-2022, 05:46 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

You can't use magazine stats and argue for ICE cars at the same time. EV's are faster and magazine stats sell cars. I'll be over here with my manual, being last through every intersection not caring about your golf carts.
Appreciate 16
swanson733.00
RM72892.50
Cos270608.50
Alfisti6496.00
JasonCSU699.00
nick37531018.50
Efthreeoh17205.00
wdb4718.00
Germanauto9698.00
Mavus2026.00
P111566.00
wtwo317945.00
5.M0NSTER3353.50
nicholasn261.00
      05-01-2022, 02:16 PM   #9
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35i , '67 Corvette BB,

Chevy......four in a row to start off the Indy Car season
      05-01-2022, 02:29 PM   #10
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I'm a car enthusiast and so I'm ambivalent about the EV push in general. I also tend to like progress so I try to be optimistic about EVs and think that a 2-vehicle household could probably do very well with one of them being an EV. But I can't even get that far. The US doesn't have the electrical infrastructure to support an EV in every driveway. Just wait until THAT bill comes due. Which might be never because the planet doesn't have enough raw materials to build enough batteries for new cars, let alone replacement units 10 years from now. Which might never be needed because the cost will be so high that only the most valueable cars -- if any! -- will be refitted. Cars will go from lasting 30 years to lasting 10 years. And this is saving the planet? It just doesn't add up.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2022, 08:09 PM   #11
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Chevy is smart. Everyone is going hybrid. Just look at basically every supercar available today. They're basically all hybrid.

This is the only way for corvette to excel. GM already gave us their last NA monster in the z06. Now the "eray", if it'll actually be called that, is GM's first introduction of a hybrid corvette. I do believe the FULL EV version will be called the zora at the final variant of the C8 generation.

Or, the ERAY will actually be the full EV version that will debut as the C9 introduction. And the grand sport will live on as the hybrid LT2 variant.

Whether we like it or not, electrification is here to stay and it will be a matter of time when every single car we see for sale and nearly every single car we see on the road will be EV.

Remember the gas ban is supposedly 2035. ICE would have lived on longer IF car makers started to introduce EV's near that 2035. But they are pumping out EV's today. Which means it'll only be a couple of years when we start to see 25% of all cars on the road EV's. Then soon 50%, then 75%. I suspect it'll be 50% of all cars on the road EV by 2035.

Then not too long after that will ICE be totally irrelevant and will be used for recreational purposes only. Similar to vintage racing now. They'll hold a couple of events a year where you take your ICE car and drive around a track, or hold some annual cruise for your ICE car. It sucks but this is the way it's looking.

Regulations and emissions are getting more strict. So we might as well embrace it. Thankfully the car makers we love today will create their own version of the perfect EV in case you don't want to get a tesla or whatever since most people hate tesla lol.

But i totally wouldn't mind a corvette being a hybrid or full EV. It'll be crazy fast. If i want sounds, i'll just go and drive my C8Z.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 09:53 AM   #12
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I'm a car enthusiast and so I'm ambivalent about the EV push in general. I also tend to like progress so I try to be optimistic about EVs and think that a 2-vehicle household could probably do very well with one of them being an EV. But I can't even get that far. The US doesn't have the electrical infrastructure to support an EV in every driveway. Just wait until THAT bill comes due. Which might be never because the planet doesn't have enough raw materials to build enough batteries for new cars, let alone replacement units 10 years from now. Which might never be needed because the cost will be so high that only the most valueable cars -- if any! -- will be refitted. Cars will go from lasting 30 years to lasting 10 years. And this is saving the planet? It just doesn't add up.
LOL and what incredibly small percentage of vehicles are 30 years old and still providing 'daily driver' duties ?? Considering the avg new vehicle is only kept for 6 years your math is way off !!
      05-04-2022, 10:16 AM   #13
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikado463 View Post
LOL and what incredibly small percentage of vehicles are 30 years old and still providing 'daily driver' duties ?? Considering the avg new vehicle is only kept for 6 years your math is way off !!
average age of cars on the road is 12years. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/28/cars...%209.6%20years.

that is older than most EVs last.

The move to EV can happen, but it wont happen with the current model of EV cars being priced higher than standard ICE vehicles and with the current lifespans of EV.

How are you going to tell a family with a budget of $10k for a car to go out and buy an electric car, when the cheapest new EV car is the leaf for $28k and has an expected battery life of 100k-150k miles

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
jmack548.50
      05-04-2022, 11:04 AM   #14
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
average age of cars on the road is 12years. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/28/cars...%209.6%20years.

that is older than most EVs last.

The move to EV can happen, but it wont happen with the current model of EV cars being priced higher than standard ICE vehicles and with the current lifespans of EV.

How are you going to tell a family with a budget of $10k for a car to go out and buy an electric car, when the cheapest new EV car is the leaf for $28k and has an expected battery life of 100k-150k miles
I get your point but in order to understand marketing and demographics, EV's needing to get into the market place are more focused on new purchasers, thus my point of the average amount of time a new vehicle is kept.

As for the lifespan, the warranties alone carry them past the 6 year avg. Regardless, the avg cost for a new ICE vehicle is around 40k so expecting an EV to be much less (on avg) probably won't happen
      05-04-2022, 11:07 AM   #15
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikado463 View Post
That becomes part of the problem, most people keep their cars for 6 years, but the average life expectancy of a new car is about 12 years. We are almost at the point where new vehicles will be into the life cycle when ICE cars get banned in NA. The other consideration is the cost of EV's. They are not cheap, so either there will be government incentives to buy them, enjoy paying for your neighbours EV through you taxes.

The used car market is also an issue, I don't really see a used car market for EV's, and frankly many many people don't buy new cars due to cost, so those used cars at 6 years of use have to go somewhere, and I don't think it will be the same for EV's.

Lots of words to say, I don't think the end of ICE is as close as many want or predict.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      05-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #16
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
That becomes part of the problem, most people keep their cars for 6 years, but the average life expectancy of a new car is about 12 years. We are almost at the point where new vehicles will be into the life cycle when ICE cars get banned in NA. The other consideration is the cost of EV's. They are not cheap, so either there will be government incentives to buy them, enjoy paying for your neighbours EV through you taxes.

The used car market is also an issue, I don't really see a used car market for EV's, and frankly many many people don't buy new cars due to cost, so those used cars at 6 years of use have to go somewhere, and I don't think it will be the same for EV's.

Lots of words to say, I don't think the end of ICE is as close as many want or predict.
EVs don't need to last. That's because EVs are a stepping stone to eliminating most private transportation. First it's EVs, then autonomous vehicles, then no more privately owned cars (that you can actually drive on the public roads), be they EV or ICE. I'm not saying this is actually going to work, but its the plan. It's not publicized, but those in the know can see the writing on the wall. The only way we're going to reach emission and green house gas targets is if we cut down on the things doing the polluting (everyone has started to realize that first world countries are the only ones that will have the ability to make these drastic changes - India, most of Africa, Mexico and South America do not have the capital or infrastructure to do it in time). Private vehicles have a big target on their back because OEMs and the politicians they have in their pockets can get rich off replacing current ICE offerings with EVs and still look "green". OEMs know that EVs are less costly to maintain, so how are they going to keep their profits when there's less maintenance appointments at the dealers? Subscriptions for features (heated seats, lane-keep assist, etc.). Once the last ICE cars are taken off the road (be it by outright bans or taxation/fees that make it cost prohibitive to drive them), OEMs will start diversifying (many already have - GM and Ford with their electric delivery vans for FedEx and Amazon) by supplying EVs for commercial use, all while the government will announce emission goals are still not being met. Cue AVs and mass ride sharing. "Your" car picks you up at your house and takes you the store. While you shop, it serves as an Uber for someone else, then it comes back and picks you up and takes you home. Rinse and repeat.
Will all of this actually happen? Who knows. Most on this forum will probably be dead by the time we get to the final phase, but regardless, this is the path most governments and OEMs are headed down. I just hope I never live to see it.
As someone on another thread pointed out, the majority of car buyers today do not care about the driving experience and treat vehicles only as a means to an end (transportation). Many of the future generation (read: customers) do not even care to own a car or have a license (for many, it's financially prohibitive - a whole 'nother discussion). This plan is made to cater to them and still make everyone (OEMs, politicians A.K.A lobbyists) money while staying within the restrictions governments are going to start rolling out in the next 5-10 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 02:36 PM   #17
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
While tens of millions of people live in heavy urban areas and don't need to own cars, millions of people live rural and rely heavily on cars. Electric Uber is not practical out in rural areas. There will be little recharge infrastructure because the population density doesn't make an economic case for it. I think more kids like cars than don't.
I agree, hopefully my comment didn't come off as supportive haha. I don't think it's realistic, but that doesn't mean it won't be pushed forward.
Appreciate 0