BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-11-2022, 01:34 PM   #67
Tawz123
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw e93

Yes I would say I work at giulia main dealer great cars very good power bad handling due to the double wishbones and sounds amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 01:35 PM   #68
Tawz123
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw e93

Ofc they drink alot and make sure all the control modules are up to date
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 06:38 PM   #69
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfo122 View Post
Added a Giulia Quadrifoglio to the stable this past weekend and couldn't be happier. While it doesn't have the simplicity, steering feel, or NA scream of the M's, the Alfa is incredibly engaging (more fun at street speeds than the M3), scary fast, and a way better DD (great ride, quieter than M3, w/ modern safety and tech). Lastly, maybe it's just the new car glow or the fact that it's my first non-black car, but the Alfa just feels more special and exotic. Fingers crossed all remains good on the reliability front...If so, I don't see myself moving on from it for a long time!
Save for the E39 M5, those are arguably two of the greatest sport sedans ever....casually sitting side-by-side.

Edit: I think you make a great point about how special and exotic these cars feel. They have such a uniquely Italian look and vibe, people are immediately intrigued when they see you driving it. BMWs are very common cars and IMO that takes away from some of the allure. BMW clearly agrees and made the G80 M3's design very distinctive for a reason.

Last edited by Germanauto; 04-11-2022 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 06:42 PM   #70
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
I hate to hijack this thread, but I have an opportunity to pick up a new QV at a bit under MSRP. Sifting through this thread though, it seems like now might not be the best time to pick up a new QV? Is that because of the facelift coming up? If so, what kind of impact might the facelift have on previous years?
It's unclear what the facelift will entail, and whether it will be in 2023 or 2024. Possibly some styling updates, Ux updates, digital gauge cluster.

Personally I prefer the beautiful analogue gauges housed in those round bezels. But the Ux definitely needs an update. Up to you how much that stuff matters.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #71
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
If it helps, I compared one to my G80.

I really liked it, but the owner explained that he "only" needed one new engine in 35k miles of ownership. Perhaps they've gotten better.

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...-quadrifoglio/
      04-11-2022, 10:05 PM   #72
Mr Friese
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

This thread has been a fascinating read. Very rare do you see opinions vary from "stay away at all costs" to "one of the best cars ever made"
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 10:53 PM   #73
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Late to the party but do it. Only car I'd consider swapping my 1 for.
Mr Friese183.50
      04-12-2022, 03:48 PM   #74
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Thanks for all the feedback folks, great stuff as always. It looks like it is coming down to either the Quad or an M4 MT. 11th hour decision! :/
      04-12-2022, 04:08 PM   #75
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

As in the current gen M4???? You gotta look at that bloody face every time you walk towards the car. F80 I understand but current gen, hard, hard pass. Head only a mother could love.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
ShocknAwe3200.00
      04-12-2022, 04:55 PM   #76
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

One last area to discuss are the brakes on the QV. At slow speeds and in stop and go traffic they can be tricky. It's the inconsistency in required pedal pressure that's at the heart of the issue. Its consistently inconsistent and impossible to come to a stop smoothly. And in some cases even after you've come to a stop the car will begin moving forward requiring additional pressure to stay put. What's really interesting is that it's seems to vary widely from car to car. I've gotten used to them but many find this to be a deal breaker. Just add that to Clarkson's "How Alfa is that!"
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2022, 05:13 PM   #77
blinkme323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
As in the current gen M4???? You gotta look at that bloody face every time you walk towards the car. F80 I understand but current gen, hard, hard pass. Head only a mother could love.
Yeah, only because I can get the M4 in a manual.

Literally my only hesitation on the quad is the refresh that's coming up. I've been burnt before buying cars right before a refresh and I know as soon as I pull the trigger they will officially announce it 😂
      04-12-2022, 06:02 PM   #78
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback folks, great stuff as always. It looks like it is coming down to either the Quad or an M4 MT. 11th hour decision! :/
Which one have you enjoyed driving more?

MT is certainly a strong point for the Bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 06:16 PM   #79
blinkme323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Which one have you enjoyed driving more?

MT is certainly a strong point for the Bimmer.
It's tough... I've driven BMWs for the last decade, so I have a natural affinity there, but the power plant in the Quad is just bonkers. I've also tested out the new Golf R MT, which I really liked along with the Model Y Performance.
      04-12-2022, 09:23 PM   #80
jfo122
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
One last area to discuss are the brakes on the QV. At slow speeds and in stop and go traffic they can be tricky. It's the inconsistency in required pedal pressure that's at the heart of the issue. Its consistently inconsistent and impossible to come to a stop smoothly. And in some cases even after you've come to a stop the car will begin moving forward requiring additional pressure to stay put. What's really interesting is that it's seems to vary widely from car to car. I've gotten used to them but many find this to be a deal breaker. Just add that to Clarkson's "How Alfa is that!"
I'd definitely second this. The brakes themselves are quite good in terms of stopping power - much, much better than the stock e90 M3 brakes, but no comparison to the pfc bbk I have on there now - but the feel is 'odd' and something I'm getting used to. I'm already noticing it less and less though (on day 3 of owning the car), but it's definitely a fair criticism of the car. Overall, I'm having a ton of fun in the Alfa and it's exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited by jfo122; 04-12-2022 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
translux478.00
      04-13-2022, 07:45 AM   #81
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:

Literally my only hesitation on the quad is the refresh that's coming up. I've been burnt before buying cars right before a refresh and I know as soon as I pull the trigger they will officially announce it 😂
WHat about a F80? There's a ton out there barely used, i cannot FATHOM how anyone can live with that maw, just fucking terrible. The F80 is a handsome vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 08:43 PM   #82
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

WHat about a F80? There's a ton out there barely used, i cannot FATHOM how anyone can live with that maw, just fucking terrible. The F80 is a handsome vehicle.
How do you really feel?
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 08:47 PM   #83
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'd definitely second this. The brakes themselves are quite good in terms of stopping power - much, much better than the stock e90 M3 brakes, but no comparison to the pfc bbk I have on there now - but the feel is 'odd' and something I'm getting used to. I'm already noticing it less and less though (on day 3 of owning the car), but it's definitely a fair criticism of the car. Overall, I'm having a ton of fun in the Alfa and it's exactly what I was looking for.
Mine got marginally better after some serious high speed bedding in. Supposedly there are some pads that help but IDK. I just learned to live with them and enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 10:44 PM   #84
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If it's just FOMO I'd say go for it. It's it's concern over depreciation the value of the QV drops like a rock glued to a lead weight that's bound to an anvil.
In early 2019 they could be had for $25-$30k discount with a factory lifetime warranty thrown in for good measure. Before the car apocalypse the best offers I got for the QV on trade ranged from we're not interested to $40k. It's a great car but it's got some serious shortcomings. It is after all an Italian car. And from my experiences they all rightfully deserve the baggage. Save for the newer Lamborghini's but we all know these are really German cars with fancy dress.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2022, 11:15 PM   #85
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

One last item I was reminded of today after a hour behind the wheel. For me the seats are awful. They don't provide nearly as much lateral support as the stock seats in G80 and they're uncomfortable. After about 30 min the middle of my back has some discomfort. After an hour its pretty bad. I will admit that I'm a bit larger than most but not that big.
Oh and I wouldn't recommend going through a car wash. Beyond water leaking into the passenger floor something electrical gets wet and causes all kinds of havoc. Like many of the gremlins it will sort it self out after awhile. Likely when everything drys off. And make sure you don't have an Italian battery. They don't produce enough voltage and cause all kinds of trouble. This was one of the few items that could be replicated and corrected. Oh and the alarm. You'll probably want to disable this as it has a mind of its own.
It really a shame that it's so poorly engineered and constructed. It's without question one of if not the best chassis I've ever driven. It's so light and fun, puts down the power and is so stable even over the worst roads. Actually it reminds me a lot of a McLaren 720S in the Luxury/Comfort trim.
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5356.00
      04-14-2022, 10:54 AM   #86
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That's because the QV uses a Brake By Wire system that Alfa calls, you may want to sit down for this one, "IBS."
Here's some info on it. I personally think it's a perfect name for a braking system where you don't know if the car will slow down or not.
Alfisti6452.50
Humdizzle6024.00
      04-14-2022, 12:26 PM   #87
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Quote:
Quote:
That's because the QV uses a Brake By Wire system that Alfa calls, you may want to sit down for this one, "IBS."
Here's some info on it. I personally think it's a perfect name for a braking system where you don't know if the car will slow down or not.
I forgot it was IBS!
I believe the G80 uses what I assume is the same Brembo brake by wire system the QV uses. It's also numb relative to my other cars but seems to be better calibrated.
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5356.00
      04-14-2022, 10:47 PM   #88
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One last item I was reminded of today after a hour behind the wheel. For me the seats are awful. They don't provide nearly as much lateral support as the stock seats in G80 and they're uncomfortable. After about 30 min the middle of my back has some discomfort. After an hour its pretty bad. I will admit that I'm a bit larger than most but not that big.
Oh and I wouldn't recommend going through a car wash. Beyond water leaking into the passenger floor something electrical gets wet and causes all kinds of havoc. Like many of the gremlins it will sort it self out after awhile. Likely when everything drys off. And make sure you don't have an Italian battery. They don't produce enough voltage and cause all kinds of trouble. This was one of the few items that could be replicated and corrected. Oh and the alarm. You'll probably want to disable this as it has a mind of its own.
It really a shame that it's so poorly engineered and constructed. It's without question one of if not the best chassis I've ever driven. It's so light and fun, puts down the power and is so stable even over the worst roads. Actually it reminds me a lot of a McLaren 720S in the Luxury/Comfort trim.
Seems like you had an early example. Inexcusable stuff, but most of that has been remedied by now.
Appreciate 0