BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-09-2022, 07:01 PM   #45
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Wait you get 10 year warranty on a new unit?

Why are we discussing this?
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2022, 07:50 PM   #46
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Wait you get 10 year warranty on a new unit?

Why are we discussing this?
Because Hyundai is not acknowledging oil consumption on affected engines as a manufacturer's defect. They're going at the angle that the owners are negligent for not being on top of checking the oil level of the engine.

If you all would read the article I linked to, this will all be clear.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 12:00 AM   #47
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Because Hyundai is not acknowledging oil consumption on affected engines as a manufacturer's defect. They're going at the angle that the owners are negligent for not being on top of checking the oil level of the engine.

If you all would read the article I linked to, this will all be clear.
Hyundai is not at fault. I've already stated it's user error. We ran the car without oil due to miscommunication during oil change long story short. That article is irrelevant and and it's not manufacturer defect. Engine did not burn a single drop of oil in the time we've had the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 03:03 AM   #48
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Haiii View Post
Dealer said the reason timing jumped is because these variable timing mechanisms are oil pressure driven. So no oil pressure = timing jumps. Is that a bunch of bogus?
In my book "jumping the timing" is when the timing chain skips a tooth on the cogs.
This is something completely different.

Variable timing mechanisms change timing by pumping oil in one chamber or another, therefore moving a piston that sits inside.
Driving with no or low oil pressure can only affect it so that it doesn't change the timing to the desired position.
However, like I wrote before (twice), some variable timing mechanisms have locking mechanisms inside to lock the timing in a certain position, for example to get a specific timing during startup. Maybe that is not functioning, or worst case, damaged. Look at my previous link. Have you read that?

So the first thing to figure out is why your car isn't starting. A compression test is the first test to do for that. If you have damaged valves or boring score, it would show. If you have compression, fuel and spark, and it doesnt start: it's timing.

Also a previous question: did the oil light come on when you drove?

I think a good independent garage could solve this issue way cheaper btw, but I'm not really familiar with US workshop rates.
Even if the timing chain did skip some teeth, to set that straight is less than a day work in my book. But also in that scenario you first have to check if you don't have valve damage, so again: compressiontest.
TBH I don't understand why the dealer didn't do the compression test in the first place. I mean he has the plugs out. From then it's just literally removing 1 fuse (fuel pump) and start the car 4 times with the meter in each plughole. How long can that take? surely shorter than 10 minutes! (or shorter than writing this post for that matter )
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-10-2022 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 07:09 AM   #49
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
He has said a dozen times it was his fault, I don't know why people keep disbelieving the OP. Clearly, someone fucked up.

To me, why rish spending 2 to 3K on a seriously questionable engine when you can drop 6 on one with some 10 FUCKING YEARS warranty on it. This is a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 07:19 AM   #50
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
He has said a dozen times it was his fault, I don't know why people keep disbelieving the OP. Clearly, someone fucked up.

To me, why rish spending 2 to 3K on a seriously questionable engine when you can drop 6 on one with some 10 FUCKING YEARS warranty on it. This is a no brainer.
Yeah, the warranty bit changes things and I'd just drop in a new one.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 07:36 AM   #51
Former-Mopar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MBW M4 Comp

Quote:
Did you look at the link I provided? If your car is in that list, you'd be a fool to spend money on any engine work before either contacting Hyundai corporate letting them know you're aware of the high oil consumption problems or contacting the attorneys heading up the class action lawsuit.
Buddy of mine got a new engine based on the article above! Now its his sons car. Worth looking into.
Appreciate 0