BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

11-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #8537
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
What defines unsustainable?
That's a billion-dollar question and beyond my pay grade. The fact that you asked, you probably have your own answer to your question. Each generation has to answer that question for themselves.

Although I don't know the answer, I do know the root cause of the excessive wealth gap but that's not what you're asking.

Here is one version to your answer lols.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I would counter the wealth gap is as small as it's ever been. There was no middle class until western society. But like a liberal or a woman give them an inch they want a mile. Solution is dont give them shit.
Basically he was saying, for example, during the middle ages, you had the feudalism system in which the poor probably had close to zero so if you divide anything by zero you got infinity. According to him, the middle class today at least you have something so dividing by something at least you get something less than infinity.

His words not mine.

Last edited by WestRace; 11-16-2019 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #8538
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Its sustainable, when are we gonna run out of stupid lazy people. Each according to his abilities. World needs ditch diggers too.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #8539
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Its sustainable, when are we gonna run out of stupid lazy people. Each according to his abilities. World needs ditch diggers too.
Damn! Damn good! Damn good timing!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #8540
wdb
dances with roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Former Marine here. Nothing wrong with taking a pic of some POS terrorist scum bag, you tagged and bagged.
Not a vet but I know a few and have seen those pics. I get it.

But the story I heard on at least one of the pardoned guys goes well beyond that. He was an LT leading a group and ordered them to open fire on unarmed civilians. Several of the guys intentionally missed. Nine (nine!) of them testified against him at his trial. He was convicted and sentenced. Trump pardoned him.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...-lorance-case/
Appreciate 2
jmg8928.00

11-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #8541
hubbahubba
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
That's a billion-dollar question and beyond my pay grade. The fact that you asked, you probably have your own answer to your question. Each generation has to answer that question for themselves.

Although I don't know the answer, I do know the root cause of the excessive wealth gap but that's not what you're asking.

Here is one version to your answer lols.

Basically he was saying, for example, during the middle ages, you had the feudalism system in which the poor probably had close to zero so if you divide anything by zero you got infinity. According to him, the middle class today at least you have something so dividing by something at least you get something less than infinity.

His words not mine.
Thanks, West. Actually, I have no clue what my answer would be to that as I do not think that is an objective thing, but subjective. If you are on the top of the scale, it probably looks just fine. If you are on the bottom, not so much. This is the problem. If we can not define it, how are we supposed to fix it? Further, I agree that there is a problem, but there is also a problem in the absolute fact that while some genuinely need help, others do not but will take it anyway to game the system. I really do not want my taxes upped for people such as those, ya know? I am interested to hear what you believe root cause is. If indeed you have it figured out we may be able to come up with a solution!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #8542
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Strange

Trump's health 'very good' after unscheduled physical exam https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50450349

In a statement, White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said the latest tests were prompted by a "free weekend" in the president's diary, and that Mr Trump remained healthy and energetic without complaints.

"Further speculation beyond the extensive and honest info I put out is wholly irresponsible and dangerous for the country," she added in a tweet.
      11-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #8543
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Trump's health 'very good' after unscheduled physical exam [/url]
Time for a few more burgers :-)
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #8544
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
I am interested to hear what you believe root cause is. If indeed you have it figured out we may be able to come up with a solution!
Well actually I may have to take it back. One may pretend to know the truth but in reality, one can only know part of the truth. To think about it, knowing only part of it is probably almost the same as not knowing at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #8545
pennsiveguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
What defines unsustainable?
At some point, the Gini Coefficient will reach a level where the people on the lower rungs of the ladder will no longer accept the inequality. They'll use whatever means available to even things out. Might be peaceful, might be violent. If the poor are so desperate that they're fighting for their very survival and have nothing to lose, it'll get ugly.

So some inequality is inevitable, and desirable for optimal output. A lot of inequality introduces volatility. That's why big corporations like liberal income redistribution policies. They're a way of keeping the masses placated and preventing the sort of turmoil that would interfere with the economic and political "hacks" they've put so much time and money into.
      11-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #8546
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Where are the Trump tweets supporting the Chinese students in Honk Kong??!!??
      11-17-2019, 10:17 PM   #8547
WestRace
Major
Rep

Hopefully it won't turn into another 1989 Tiananmen Square.

Quote:
Police warned they were ready to use live bullets if ďriotersĒ continued to used lethal weapons, amid a dramatic escalation of the unrest that has plunged the Asian financial hub into chaos for almost six months.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1XR0O2
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #8548
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

CDC estimates 5.3% decile of opioid deaths in the U.S. this year. Thats very good news in this war on American lives and evidence the Commander in Chiefs policy’s are working.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #8549
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
CDC estimates 5.3% decile of opioid deaths in the U.S. this year. Thats very good news in this war on American lives and evidence the Commander in Chiefs policy’s are working.
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the landmark lawsuits in several states which have driven many producers into, or to the brink of, bankruptcy. Bit of a wake-up call for the industry.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #8550
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
Rep
Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC

Quote:
CDC estimates 5.3% decile of opioid deaths in the U.S. this year. Thats very good news in this war on American lives and evidence the Commander in Chiefs policyís are working.
I am glad they are on the decline. There are a lot of factors that go into this and I don't care who takes credit for this as long as we continue to go in the correct direction. Win for Trump, sure. I would love to see more of this.

I would like to see rigorous long term drug treatment programs offered for low level offenders and those that want to clean up. Throw in mental health services and we might start to make a change in the homeless issues plaguing our cities.
Appreciate 3
      11-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #8551
pennsiveguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post
I am glad they are on the decline. There are a lot of factors that go into this and I don't care who takes credit for this as long as we continue to go in the correct direction. Win for Trump, sure. I would love to see more of this.

I would like to see rigorous long term drug treatment programs offered for low level offenders and those that want to clean up. Throw in mental health services and we might start to make a change in the homeless issues plaguing our cities.
That's really good news.

The real question we should be asking is, what can we do about the overwhelm, the isolation, and the despair that's driving so many people into substance abuse? The drug is just an implement.
      11-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #8552
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Did anyone else get a letter from Melania Trump asking for campaign donations?
      11-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #8553
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the landmark lawsuits in several states which have driven many producers into, or to the brink of, bankruptcy. Bit of a wake-up call for the industry.
While thatís true to a certain extent, the fact is people addicted to Vicodin and itís kind normally donít say ok Iíll stop now and lead clean and sober lives when their legal supply dries up, they just move to cheaper more easily obtainable illegal opiates to feed the monkey. Oxy was the #1 killer a couple years ago but now itís been surpassed by fentanyl by a lot and heroin secondly. Most fentanyl is illegally coming across our southern border. Not so easy to say hey doc, my knee hurts gimme some fentanyl and walk out scrip in hand.

Trump is working a hell of lot harder then the prior in impeding the flow of killer drugs. As someone who been to funeral of a friends son last year due to the drug Iím glad heís doing his best to stem the tide, unfortunately heís not getting much help from the other side of the aisle who try and stop him more then they do traffickers.
Hereís a wake up for Americas left, many tons of killer poison are sneaking across the border all the time and itís killing our youth and others, fentanyl kills more in just over a year then the number of Americans killed in the whole decade of the Vietnam War.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #8554
XutvJet
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT

A 5% decline is within the range of statistical noise and that reduction is only related to prescription opioids. Illegally made opioid deaths increased. Also, meth and cocaine deaths have risen substantially over the past couple of years. You can't focus on one drug at a time. FYI, China and Mexico are the primary sources of illegally made opioids and they are being smuggled across non-walled borders in Mexico. The majority are going through controlled ports.
      11-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #8555
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
While thatís true to a certain extent, the fact is people addicted to Vicodin and itís kind normally donít say ok Iíll stop now and lead clean and sober lives when their legal supply dries up, they just move to cheaper more easily obtainable illegal opiates to feed the monkey. Oxy was the #1 killer a couple years ago but now itís been surpassed by fentanyl by a lot and heroin secondly. Most fentanyl is illegally coming across our southern border. Not so easy to say hey doc, my knee hurts gimme some fentanyl and walk out scrip in hand.

Trump is working a hell of lot harder then the prior in impeding the flow of killer drugs. As someone who been to funeral of a friends son last year due to the drug Iím glad heís doing his best to stem the tide, unfortunately heís not getting much help from the other side of the aisle who try and stop him more then they do traffickers.
Hereís a wake up for Americas left, many tons of killer poison are sneaking across the border all the time and itís killing our youth and others, fentanyl kills more in just over a year then the number of Americans killed in the whole decade of the Vietnam War.
BTW, the most recent stats released by the CDC seems to be from 2017. I can't find your 5.3% drop anywhere.

I've also personally known two people who have died from opioid addiction, and a third who seems so too far gone to get back. Yes, people start at the Dr then follow the same sad trail that seems to always end with readily available H.

What exactly has Trump done to combat opioid addiction? Drugs are being driven in on tractor trailers through checkpoints that already exist. We need a smarter border, not a taller one.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #8556
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
A 5% decline is within the range of statistical noise and that reduction is only related to prescription opioids. Illegally made opioid deaths increased. Also, meth and cocaine deaths have risen substantially over the past couple of years. You can't focus on one drug at a time. FYI, China and Mexico are the primary sources of illegally made opioids and they are being smuggled across non-walled borders in Mexico. The majority are going through controlled ports.
Bingo.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #8557
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
Rep
Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
That's really good news.

The real question we should be asking is, what can we do about the overwhelm, the isolation, and the despair that's driving so many people into substance abuse? The drug is just an implement.
Most people go from legit prescriptions to addiction. Some are prescribed stimulants, others narcotic pain meds. Mess with brain chemistry and depression usually follows.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #8558
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
BTW, the most recent stats released by the CDC seems to be from 2017. I can't find your 5.3% drop anywhere.

I've also personally known two people who have died from opioid addiction, and a third who seems so too far gone to get back. Yes, people start at the Dr then follow the same sad trail that seems to always end with readily available H.

What exactly has Trump done to combat opioid addiction? Drugs are being driven in on tractor trailers through checkpoints that already exist. We need a smarter border, not a taller one.
Saw it on the news this morning and like I said it was a CDC estimate at this time. Likely since it’s not the end of the year yet.
Here’s just a quick one to help answer your first question, I’m sure you can research and find a bunch more. Stemming the flow is a huge part of improving the problem
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...opioid-crisis/

The left wants to do away with ICE and Border Patrol, have open borders. You defend those brilliant ideals? Yes drugs are being driven across the border through legal routes at checkpoints and guess what? If there’s less Border Patrol there more will getting through.
You seem to, no surprise, to be ignoring the many tunnels the cartels dig under the walls that get exposed once in a while and we see the amount of time and effort they go through to get tons of shit through to our citizens or videos of mules quickly climbing the old fences with bundles of drugs strapped to their backs you can easily find that on YouTube also.
They’re not bringing their laundry or even weed here on their backs but very expensive opiates, fentanyl from China among them, that’s where the money is.

Walls! Let’s talk walls. You bet smarter, dug deeper, multiple tiers tier and indeed taller and harder to monkey over. Walls in prisons aren’t just smart walls with sensors on them but built in the way which keeps them where they belong.

It’s plain common sense which the left refuses to discuss because they already admit they want open borders. All those things that help keep illegal aliens and drugs out hurt their agenda of flooding the land with future potential dem voters not caring who’s kids might get killed in the process. They’re expendable to get those needed votes, at all costs. Selling the bodies of our children to stay in power for themselves. Maybe if their kids died more often like the latest Kennedy kid died of a OD they might get it, no they won’t, they’re too power hungry to even care.
Appreciate 0