BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

08-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #45
dotmit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 325i | K46 S1000RR

Tissot Visiodate
      08-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #46
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

I know there are some seriously die-hard watch guys on this forum so this will probably get plenty of chuckles, but I just bought a handful of Swatch watches while at the Mall of America waiting for my daughter to finish her back to school shopping. I love watches, but am way too frugal to pay what some people spend on them. To me, a $300 - $400 watch is nose bleed territory. I can easily afford it, but I think there are plenty of good looking watches under that price range, and the big brand (marketing) names don't do much for me.

Since I was killing time I stopped in the Swatch store and looked around. I was plesantly surprised at some of the nice looking watches they had. The several I purchased have a black "rubbery" band, although I don't think the casual observer would notice that it's a rubber band. And it looks like a nice band. The faces are nice, I can easily set the time (unlike my Citizen watches where I have to go to their website and have a Masters degree in mechanical engineering to change the time), they feel great, are nice and light weight, don't have the mega "pimped-out" face and I really love the look of them.

Average cost per watch?...something like $130. Of course my daughter dropped $1,000 on new school clothes, so we have to save money somewhere!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #47
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinckled View Post
What sort of watches would you recommend for some high quality affordable watches?
"Respectable Affordable Watch" is just another way of saying "Tissot PRC 200". It is in $300-ish range. Is that affordable by your standards?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #48
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Here's another one that matches OPs specs:

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-H7055...aki+mechanical
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #49
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i, Miata, and a truck

Go to Watchbuys.com and look at the Sinn watches. Then pick whatever watch you like and can afford. But do it today...prices go up tomorrow.

Oh...I'm not kidding!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #50
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Great thread. Got me thinking about a leather strapped watch. I wear a tag f1 daily but wanted something a bit different, so I picked up a victorinox infantry with a green face: http://www.victorinox.com/us/categor...10/3017&m=add&

Like it very much!

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #51
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Budget:

Under $200- Who cares buy whatever you think looks cool. When it breaks (and it will) throw it away and buy another one.

$200-1000- There are respectable brands in this price range. You can get a good watch, but nothing that will appreciate in value.

$1000-2000- Arguably the worst price range. Not much benefit beyond a $500 Hamilton or similar automatic, but you're paying a premium without much justification.

$2000 and above- You may spend a lot of money, but if you buy right, many watches at this price have the potential to appreciate in value. You'll obviously get a good quality watch, but it's also a potential investment (again, assuming you buy right).

My advice: Since you're just out of college and looking to buy a nice "starter watch" look for a good used Baumet et Mercier (cheaper), Omega (middle tier), or Rolex (higher price range).

All of those brands have a strong used market so if you buy at a reasonable price, you can enjoy the watch for a few years and then sell it for as much (if not more) than you paid for.

My first automatic was a Baume et Mercier Capeland S (which I still have). I bought it in near new condition for $600 with the box and all documentation. I wore it almost every day for 2 years, and currently even in its condition I would have no trouble selling it for the same price.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #52
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Rolex
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #53
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Just got done looking at these watches posted earlier: http://www.watchprojects.com/essays/...cture-watches/

Beautiful watches! Virtually every one of them is something I would buy. Sure wish they had included prices on that web page.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #54
propkaPT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M, 1987 325is, 2020 V60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
And to just what garage sale do you recommend he go find an affordable one?

OP, I have no idea what affordable means to you, but I'm assuming it means $1000 give or take. I would recommend you avoid most watched priced between $1500 and $2000 because in that price range, very few are actually of note, but most are trying to be grander than they are, speaking loudly (marketing) and carrying a small stick (generic in movement, materials, manufacture, and pedigree). Some brands/watches I'd suggest you look at for a variety of reasons and in no particular order:
  • Hamilton Jazzmaster - A fine watch, but a bit pricier than what I suspect you are seeking. ($1600) (http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/)
  • Red8 - fun style and you can custom design the watch yourself. ($600-$900) These watches are very sporty looking, so while they are fine for business casual, they won't do for dressier situations, unless your personal style is just quirky that way. (http://www.red8world.com/)
  • Glashütte - Tangente - a watch from a serious watch maker and simple enough that it can be worn anywhere and be appropriate ($1200-$1400 or so). Elegant looking. (http://www.nomos-glashuette.com/en/watches/tangente/)
  • Vintage watches -- you may have to go this route if you want the big names in horology. Most will still run well over $1000, however, especially if you are buying from the big vintage retailers like Tourneau on whom you can rely that what you buy will be authentic and in good condition. You'll have to put some legwork into finding something of high quality and low price. The trick here is that, for the most part, you'll need to be somewhat watch savvy yourself so you don't get taken as you try to buy a grand watch at a miniscule price. And, of course, what's available varies constantly. Here's one you can reasonably expect to find without too much effort.
    • Seiko - Seiko 5! - has the characteristics of a "watch that matters," but being available for less than $100 (and more likely less than $75), nearly anyone can have what would can yet be called a "watch guy's watch." Its styling won't draw attention to itself, but those in the know will know. Nobody else will bother to mention it, yet they will recognize the brand. It's not made of gold or some exotic material -- it's steel -- so it can't be called a luxury watch, but as a timepiece of note, it ticks all the right boxes, including having an in-house, mechanical movement, and a pedigree beyond reproach, which is isn't something most folks commonly think of with Seiko.
  • Other vintage watch suggestions:
    • Heuer, but probably not Tag Heuer, unless, of course, you just see a used Tag that you like and just want it. Otherwise, Tag makes plenty of new watches that are affordable, and Lord knows Tag is popular among the masses.
    • Movado -- 1940s-1950s museum watch.
    • The 1950s and 1960s were great decades for watches. There're a lot to choose from this era. I suggest checking out some watch forums to get better sense of some good ways to direct your resources.
  • Reactor -- Military watch priced so any private can afford it. ($400) (http://www.reactorwatch.com/reactor_trident.html)
Well there you go. A small listing of notable watches at least one of which can fit into just anyone's budget. All are examples of good watches that watch people will appreciate, but the masses may or may not even know much about. Of the options suggested above, had I just graduated from college, I'd pick the Glashütte, or if I didn't want so staid a watch, and I intend to have more than one watch, Red8.

Lastly, you may want to check out some watch forums. Just as I wouldn't go to a watch forum and ask what German sport sedan is worth considering, I wouldn't come here to ask about a watch. You may find some good input that is offered with knowledge, objectivity and integrity, but you'll do better on a forum devoted to watches. Even though I know a little something about watches, that's a result of research into specific brands and items, having the means to choose brands long known for their quality, and being slightly remorseful upon learning I essentially wasted money on watches that fell into that $1500-$2500 category I mentioned above. What I have to offer is not the result of my having a broad general knowledge of the subject.

All the best and good luck.

great advice. Im also seeing that nothing in the 1-2k range other than a vintage piece has nothing of note.

Thanks for showing me the Glashütte company. Very cool watches
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #55
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M Sport Package

If you are willing to consider watches in the $2000 range, take a look at Mont Blanc. They have some very nice watches in a variety of colours, straps and options (automatic, battery). The brand provides name recognition and they are high quality time pieces. If you want "serious" watches, wait until you can consider the $4000 range (Panerai, Dubey & Schaldenbrand, Glashutte, Cartier, Blancpain).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #56
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo Kid View Post
If you are willing to consider watches in the $2000 range, take a look at Mont Blanc. They have some very nice watches in a variety of colours, straps and options (automatic, battery). The brand provides name recognition and they are high quality time pieces. If you want "serious" watches, wait until you can consider the $4000 range (Panerai, Dubey & Schaldenbrand, Glashutte, Cartier, Blancpain).
Your first recommendation was spot on. Then again, I’m a bit partial since there’s one on my wrist today:

I was with you all the way until you said Cartier. I’m personally not a big fan of the brand. The reason why: Up until a few years ago they were using cheap ETA movements. Some of their $3000+ timepieces use movements that are also found in $300 watches. Cartier watches are jewelry not timepieces (and yes there’s a difference) to me.

It seems that they’re finally making their own movements now, but I certainly wouldn’t buy a used Cartier unless it was made within the past 5 or so years.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #57
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
Your first recommendation was spot on. Then again, I’m a bit partial since there’s one on my wrist today:

I was with you all the way until you said Cartier. I’m personally not a big fan of the brand. The reason why: Up until a few years ago they were using cheap ETA movements. Some of their $3000+ timepieces use movements that are also found in $300 watches. Cartier watches are jewelry not timepieces (and yes there’s a difference) to me.

It seems that they’re finally making their own movements now, but I certainly wouldn’t buy a used Cartier unless it was made within the past 5 or so years.
I agree that Cartier is jewelry (not a timepiece) and that there is a difference. You're buying something that looks nice and has a pedigree (my Santos is nice but doesn't tell the best time). If I had the budget, there are other watches I would rather add to my collection such as Bovet, A Lange & Sohne, Patek Philipe. If I wanted other jewellry inspired watches, I would look at Faberge. Good hunting!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #58
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Tissot, Movado, Invicta make nice looking manly watches
      09-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #59
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Oris is another affordable watch I've had for about 10 years now. I also love my Hamilton and I have a nice Sinn. My favorite is my U-Boat but that was about $3k. My wife just bought me a new Brera Militare. It's a quartz movement but I like the look and feel. Nice daily beater for less than $700.

Brera Militare
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #60
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
Tissot, Movado, Invicta make nice looking manly watches
The second two recommendations tell me you know absolutely nothing about watches.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #61
alex.from.spec
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M1

omega speedmaster professional. Classic watch with a history, understated and it matches with everything.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #62
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
The second two recommendations tell me you know absolutely nothing about watches.
agreed. i have hamilton pilot and tissot luxury auto. both eta movements with sight back for under 1,000.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #63
HPF_E92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Rolex ! Retain value and looks awesome !
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #64
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF_E92 View Post
Rolex ! Retain value and looks awesome !
doubt most people would consider them affordable, but they do hold value because style is always the same.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #65
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinckled View Post
Awesome, thanks for the help everyone - I'll post pics once I make my decision.

(Looking for a classic, brown leather strap, dark face watch)
I'm thinking Hamilton, although a chrono might be out of your price range. Can you give us a number to work with?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #66
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep

Hey OP!! Just get the best Seiko you can and you'll be fine. It's a watch which will work for years, decent quality and will be appreciated by many (I daren't say most).
Appreciate 0