BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

07-11-2021, 02:04 PM   #1
Skskinner92
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 528i bmw

valve cover

ok so about a month ago I had someone change my valve cover a d since then my car has just not been right. when you first turn it on it idles rough and idles higher than it should. I tried getting the person to look at it and figure out where they went wrong but bad no such luck. anyways here in the past week it has got so much worse the car Jenks it idles so rough when. you start it up and the rims go up down up down for a couple of.mins before it finally starts to idle right. It has also started to die when I come to a stop not every time but most of the time. my bf has no idea what it is to fix it anyone have any ideas. oh also there is a weird rattle noise I guess you could say while this is happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #2
fastgoat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m550i xdrive

Could be a myriad of things causing this, but seems like there may be a vacuum leak. Did the individual who did the original work properly seal the valve cover? Perhaps check the gaskets…

Last edited by fastgoat; 07-11-2021 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:47 PM   #3
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skskinner92 View Post
ok so about a month ago I had someone change my valve cover a d since then my car has just not been right. when you first turn it on it idles rough and idles higher than it should. I tried getting the person to look at it and figure out where they went wrong but bad no such luck. anyways here in the past week it has got so much worse the car Jenks it idles so rough when. you start it up and the rims go up down up down for a couple of.mins before it finally starts to idle right. It has also started to die when I come to a stop not every time but most of the time. my bf has no idea what it is to fix it anyone have any ideas. oh also there is a weird rattle noise I guess you could say while this is happening.
You didn't say what kind of car you are talking about, but to me it sounds as if the eccentric shaft sensor was either not hooked back up or was damaged during the installation of the new valve cover.

Based on the tone of your post, though, I recommend taking your car to a mechanic.
Appreciate 0