BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

06-22-2021, 08:44 PM   #1
8081M
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M, E91 msport, E61 msport

$500 E61 msport - to fix or not to fix?

Picked up an e61, with 135k miles, factory msport, for the paltry sum of $500 - sight unseen. It needed an alternator, battery, and 2 rear tires to get it on the road.

I am a sucker for wagons. While I am not a fan of the whale penis look of the e61, it's still a wagon. I could sell it as is for a bit of profit, but unless the next owner turns wrenches and is an enthusiast, when the next thing goes wrong (and they get the estimate), they are not going to make all the necessary repairs, and it's going to end up in a junkyard.

The good:
  1. European delivery, factory msport e61!
  2. It took me 2 months (off and on) of trouble shooting to figure out why the driver seat would not move completely backward or forward (rear bolts were covered by the seat) - but that's fixed now.
  3. The previous owner mentioned it suffered the infamous plugged rear drains flood, which shorted/blew the rear airbag controller - so he bought the ISC suspension/conversion kit (but only installed the rear to get the car mobile). I now have the new, uninstalled fronts. OK this is kind of a "bad", because the factory rear bags are probably better, but at least I don't have to worry about the factory rear bags.
  4. The VCG, OFHG, windshield, and water pump/thermostat/expansion tank were replaced somewhat recently.
  5. It has factory, forged, M3 wheels, and while they are an aggressive offset for an xdrive, they fit (though I should probably pull the rears a smidge for peace of mind).
  6. I have some service records.
  7. Air conditioning works a treat.

Here are the major issues:
  1. It was a smokers car, but I have an ozone generator enroute, and will be deep cleaning the interior to include treating/extracting the carpets.
  2. It needs a complete front and rear suspension rebuild. Would probably reinstate the factory air ride in rear.
  3. It smokes a bit on and after start up, so likely needs injectors (currently on index 9) and/or new turbos (no current codes).
  4. Needs oil pan gasket done.
  5. Needs mechatronic/trans service done (probably never been serviced).
  6. Rubber surrounding the factory xenons is crumbling away, will either need to replace or have them rebuilt (these lights have a reputation for being a beech to open).
  7. Assuming it needs coils, plugs, coolant and vacuum lines.
  8. Needs front and rear brakes.
  9. Needs the complete trim around the rear hatch interior. Previous owner got tired of taking it off and on while troubleshooting problems and just tossed the baby out with the bathwater.
  10. Top rear hatch does not work, but the main one does (but hydraulics should probably be serviced).

I am planning on doing all the work myself, but am wondering if it would be worth it? I am guessing I could sell it and break even on the cost of parts, but probably for not much more given the mileage (provided there are no future catastrophic failures). The other issue is I have an e91 and 1m that need some loving, and the e61 would put those on the back burner. Anyway, just thought I’d throw this out here and see what you all have to say (if anything…the E60 board is kinda quiet).

P.S., Every time I see an e61 update from Mr. Patak @hoburger on the gram, I say f@ck it, I'm fixing this POS. Then reason sets in, and I start to doubt my sanity...

Pic for attention:
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 08:59 PM   #2
JayArras
Casual Fanatic
Rep
Drives: '07 530xi

As the E60/61 ages, retail prices go down, but these cars are not cheap to fix. If you're handy with a wrench and have the time, they can be a good project. But if other priorities beckon, it's just like buying something you don't really need.

Parting it out would probably be more profitable if making a buck is your goal, but that too is time intensive. Ultimately, it's up to you to determine where your priorities lie.

For what it's worth, this board is better for selling stuff than anything else. There are better places for exchanging E60 information.
      06-23-2021, 12:59 AM   #3
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post

For what it's worth, this board is better for selling stuff than anything else. There are better places for exchanging E60 information.
☝🏻

Tried that ozone generator on a smoker car once. (More like a hundred times on the same car), never really got it all out. That being the case, it would substantially lower the car's value even in perfect working order which isn't a ton to start. Probably not worth it money-wise IMHO.
Appreciate 1
8081M40.50
      06-23-2021, 01:42 PM   #4
8081M
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

Would appreciate someone dropping some knowledge on where would be better place to get some e61 love.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
JayArras
Casual Fanatic
Rep
Drives: '07 530xi

https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/e6...2004-2010.104/

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/fo...-2010-(E60-E61)
      06-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #6
8081M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Thanks, just registered!
Appreciate 0