BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #1
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Roofing questions

I'm getting a new roof (NE FL). I'm getting mixed messages about types of underlayment. Do any of you have any input on cons of getting "peel and stick" versus more traditional, non peel and stick? (Like the old tar paper except that nowadays it's a synthetic, plastic or tyvek-like material.)

Gracias!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Do you live in a typical Florida "community"? The past two times I have visited Florida, there have been several houses in the communities getting new roofs. The type of construction is generally consistent within a local area. I haven't noticed the underlayment in these examples, only that the outer material was tile, with grout filling in key places.

Who are you asking about underlayment? Homeowners or roofing companies?

Try visiting 2 different Home Depots and 2 different Lowe's in your area and ask at the pro desks what is best/most common.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
We're in NoFla, just a tad bit west of you, and did a new roof & skylights about 5 years ago. Used the peel & stick because the advantages far, far outweigh the issue of, maybe, should it ever be needed, removing it being a hassle 15-20 years down the road.

P&S underlayment is, from what I've seen, actually really great for laying over, so unless it doesn't do it's job there shouldn't be any reason to remove it. If you do need to, you're replacing plywood, making the process not really all that bad. Otherwise just install the new and move on.

After that we're probably 40 years down the road, and won't be using wood products any more.... (minor sarcasm, but ya never know...)
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2021, 04:50 PM   #4
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Also if you’re coastal, talk to your insurance company - you may find one or another type of roof has a significant discount (or premium) in your ins rates.

We’re between St. A and Daytona
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2021, 05:18 PM   #5
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
I'm getting a new roof (NE FL). I'm getting mixed messages about types of underlayment. Do any of you have any input on cons of getting "peel and stick" versus more traditional, non peel and stick? (Like the old tar paper except that nowadays it's a synthetic, plastic or tyvek-like material.)

Gracias!
I am a former roofer and a former Florida resident (just moved away in 2019). I replaced my roof in 2018. Using a 'peel and stick' underlayment is code in most jurisdictions now, hurricane Andrew changed everything. There are no cons, it is an awesome product and will save your house in the event you lose some shingles in a tropical event. I used GAF Weather Watch on my house. I am assuming you are using shingles.
Appreciate 4
2000cs3495.00
vreihen1615140.50
      04-29-2021, 08:41 PM   #6
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Thanks for the insights. I can't figure out how to multiquote.

Chassis, I've been asking roofers, which is what prompted the question here. P&S is an upcharge but rather than trying to push it, several advised against it. And mercifully, I'm not in a "community."

1and1, thanks for the comments. Absent any horror stories that pop up on the next few days, I'll be going the p&s route.

2000cs, good thought. Hopefully there's a material benefit. I was recently disappointed with the discount I got for newly installed hurricane-rated windows. Or maybe neither by themselves was worth much but taken together it'll be a nice savings.

Chihuahua, thanks for the inside know-how. Up here we've largely escaped the miami-dade codes (as far as I know) but like the windows I just had done, I like the idea of miami-dade code even if we don't get hurricanes like you guys do. The package I'm looking at and about to pull the trigger on is all GAF so that's nice to hear that's what a roofer chose for his own house.
Appreciate 3
2000cs3495.00
chassis6490.00
1and11855.00