BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #1
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Chip (IC) shortages impacting everything (article)

I read this article from the Post today and felt it was a very good insight as to what we have been seeing with the chip shortages. I was going to post this on the 3er forum but realized this is beyond that. The reason I wanted to provide this is because there have been a ton of people attempting to order new BMWs (not limited to) with certain options or features but are currently unable to do so because of a shortage of the Integrated Circuits (IC). As you will see in the article, this is widespread and impacting multiple industries.

It doesn't seem like this problem is going away anytime soon due to all of the stuff happening over the past couple of years. With COVID it just exacerbated everything. Just thought I'd share this informative piece. Please keep politics out of this. Thank you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...364_story.html
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

This is deeper than you know....I work at a domestic brand manufacturer and we have 100+ cars built and sitting in some motorworks city in the Midwest and can't get any of them due to lack of micro-processors.

There was an article that FIAT we swapping in analog speedo's verses the digital ones b/c they can't get chips.

Our parking lot (any all others around) look like we are going out of business b/c we have no inventory. Then go try to buy a used car and you're paying full retail or more b/c they are the only things around.
cRaZy TiMeS
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12792.50
      04-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Yeah, seriously - back in January I knew this was going to be an issue when we ordered our new Jeep. So I reached an understanding with the dealership (though I didn't get it in writing I later realized which annoyed me that I let that slip) that IF, for any reason at all, the Jeep didn't get delivered by mid April when our lease was up, that the dealership would step in and loan us a vehicle until the Jeep came in.

Am I ever glad I did that though - they have honoured this even though I don't have it in writing. We returned our lease first week of April and my wife has been touring around in a Dodge caravan absolutely free of charge for the past month which is awesome. I'm not even emailing the dealership to see an update on the Jeep, don't care. As long as we have the caravan, we're saving $700 per month, so doesn't matter to me when it comes in now lol.
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12792.50
King Rudi13154.00
      04-27-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Nice! Haha.
Appreciate 0