BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-25-2021, 11:07 PM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Taking a break from drinking

For all my adult life I've had an average of 1 drink per day. Sometimes 2. Sometimes none. Most days one drink of one kind or another (wine, beer, scotch).

A couple of months ago I decided to take a break from drinking and see what would happen. Would I miss it? Would I lose weight? Could I even stop?

After 2 months, I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. I lost 7 pounds so far and my eating habits are the same. I've absolutely not been on a diet. My stomach has gone down noticeably. And my biggest question whether I could stop or not? Yes. I did it with no problem. I was worried about having problems stopping because I was so addicted to smoking years ago that it was really, really hard to stop. One of the reasons I've always limited alcohol intake is because of my propensity to overdo with cigarettes.

That got me thinking. For those of you who consume alcohol in reasonably low amounts, did you ever try stopping? Can you turn it on and off easily?
Appreciate 4
RugbyBro7601.50
HFW0035684.50
vreihen1615256.00
      04-25-2021, 11:48 PM   #2
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
That got me thinking. For those of you who consume alcohol in reasonably low amounts, did you ever try stopping? Can you turn it on and off easily?
First of all, congrats! That's amazing you are at this point - quitting alcohol is not easy for many!

I probably drink 1-2 drinks a week - Many times I will go weeks without drinking and once in a blue moon I'll go out for a 10+ drink rager. I find I can turn it on and off very easily. It helps that I am hardwired to optimize my personal fitness (byproduct of an athletic youth & college athletics) and I can tell when I'm off balance after drinking. I enjoy having a nice drink as much as the next person, but I've never had an issue turning them down - I'm also the guy who is quite content to just hangout at a social and chat without getting blasted haha
sygazelle11369.50
Buug95917394.50
jjasonSU194.00
      04-25-2021, 11:49 PM   #3
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Way back when I used to drink quite a lot but usually only on the weekends, it would be nothing to drink a bottle of Tequila or Vodka in a night.

I donated a kidney to my MIL about twelve years ago and ever since then I can't/don't drink anywhere near what I used to. Perhaps three or four one Saturday night a month at home and if we go out I'll have a few, both would be rare.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a drink but I don't miss it. I can quite easily go a couple of months without a single drink.
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11369.50
Buug95917394.50
      04-26-2021, 12:26 AM   #4
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
First of all, congrats! That's amazing you are at this point - quitting alcohol is not easy for many!

I probably drink 1-2 drinks a week - Many times I will go weeks without drinking and once in a blue moon I'll go out for a 10+ drink rager. I find I can turn it on and off very easily. It helps that I am hardwired to optimize my personal fitness (byproduct of an athletic youth & college athletics) and I can tell when I'm off balance after drinking. I enjoy having a nice drink as much as the next person, but I've never had an issue turning them down - I'm also the guy who is quite content to just hangout at a social and chat without getting blasted haha
Came in to post, would have just repeated this in my own words.
Appreciate 3
RugbyBro7601.50
Buug95917394.50
sygazelle11369.50
      04-26-2021, 02:02 AM   #5
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Quote:
I congratulate you on your new found revelation as well. As fo rme, I don't drink that much to begin with so stopping is basically my life. I drink maybe once or twice a month if that. Birthday's, Christmas & New Years are the only days I drink more than one drink in a night. I buy a lot of liquor for my collection but it takes me forever to drink a bottle of anything. I still have like a shot & a half of gin from a bottle I bought in college. That was in the 90's
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11369.50
      04-26-2021, 05:31 AM   #6
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

But low amounts of alcohol are good for you!
Seriously, it's much better to use too little than to use too much.
I quit hard alcohol when I was 15yrs old, and only drank a beer a night until I got old, but now I even drink the hard stuff again, occasionally.
Just keep that drug under control, whatever that may mean to you & yours!

Murf
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11369.50
      04-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #7
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I am at a point where I struggle with this. By the way congratulations on stopping. I don't drink during the week. I used to have wine at night with dinner but stopped that just for no reason, wasn't even a conscious decision to do so.
When lockdown started, my wife and I would drink pretty heavy on the weekends and then it would be just water all week. Now that the world has opened up (for us) we still drink more than we used to in the past. I haver put on about 15 pounds I would say and would like to dial back my drinking but have not made the commitment to do so yet.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11369.50
      04-26-2021, 07:13 AM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I'll go through a fifth of some whiskey or a 6-pack over a weekend (Fri-Sun) and not drink during the week. And every other month or so, I go several weeks or a month without drinking at all. So it's on/off for me. I'd rather just drink beer, but that packs on weight for me whereas whiskey does not.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11369.50
      04-26-2021, 07:26 AM   #9
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I've given up alcohol for as long as 8 weeks before. But that was when I was younger, not married, and going to bars 1-2 nights every weekend. Back then it made a difference.

But I don't do that anymore. Got older, married, life happened, and just don't have the opportunity. I don't miss that lifestyle, and I also drink much less as a result.

I like to have a beer when grilling outside, but it usually stops at one. I'm almost exclusively a social drinker, so when I don't have anyone over or I don't go anywhere, I don't reach for the booze for the most part. Once every 2-3 weeks, I'll have a drink with my wife when we watch a movie/TV show. So I don't really see the point of cold turkey quitting at this stage of my life.

Overall, alcohol isn't as appealing to me as it used to be. Still tastes good and the buzz is fun, but I enjoy getting up at 6:30 on weekends and being productive. I get more satisfaction out of a full day of washing the fleet of cars than getting loaded the night before. Going for a drive in a spotless car gives me a bigger high than boozing up.
M5Rick60017.50
sygazelle11369.50
RugbyBro7601.50
jjasonSU194.00
      04-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #10
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Bunch of sad teatotalers here...

Yeah, I too wondered much the same as the OP, and I was having probably 12 -14 drinks a week or so. So I gave up drinking (like cold turkey, not a sip) for a month just out of curiosity to see whether I could, and whether it meant anything to me.

I honestly found it pretty easy to do so, I can't say I wouldn't have enjoyed a drink or two during the month when I was having a nice dinner or something, but it didn't really impact me either. The biggest struggle initially was just remembering that I wasn't drinking anymore, once I remembered, there was no internal struggle as to whether I should or shouldn't have the drink. After a week or so, I didn't really have to remember because it was just normal course that I wasn't having anything.

But I went back to having 12 or so drinks a week after that since in my view, it didn't seem to affect me one way or another, and I enjoy it. But I do need to lose some weight, so I might give it up again for a period of time, or at least significantly cut back...we'll see, not sure yet.
Appreciate 5
Buug95917394.50
M5Rick60017.50
sygazelle11369.50
Littlebear3509.50
Hawkeye2069.50
      04-26-2021, 09:12 AM   #11
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1st of all congrats man.

I am a social drinker. I basically won't touch the stuff unless I have my girl, a friend with me, or I'm in a new city trying to meet people. I will drink roughly any night a friend want's to for the most part, granted there are also times when I decline because of prior plans, an important work meeting the next morning, a new video game dropped, having to get up early for a car meet, etc.

So on a typical Friday and Saturday I am out till 2-3AM at a bar or at a friends back porch just shooting the $hit. Either solo or with the gf. I don't particularly drink for the effects of alcohol, its mainly for the togetherness that comes with it. Movie Drinking Games, Drunk Bingo, Low risk bet shots, trying new cocktails etc.

But back on topic, I thought maybe I was addicted to drinking and wanted to see if I could stop and one day I cold turkey didn't drink for about 2-3 months while still going out with my friends. At that point I found out it wasn't the alcohol, but the conversations, stories, and being with people that i was thrived for. (I'm an extrovert). So with that being said, I don't think there will ever be a time where I will be sober because I personally love the environment. (Used to work service industry as server, bar-back, and bartender).

Demographics:
35 y/o male
Engineer (8-5)
Tally, Florida
Gamer/Car Guy/Soccer Player
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11369.50
      04-26-2021, 09:24 AM   #12
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I drink regularly, also don't have a problem stopping for periods of time. Been off for about 7 days now prior to that I was on for about 14days hence the hiatus haha. Funny thing is I typically lose weight while drinking, conversely gain weight while sober. Gorged myself over the weekend, feel worse now then I would being hungover lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 12:25 PM   #13
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
For all my adult life I've had an average of 1 drink per day. Sometimes 2. Sometimes none. Most days one drink of one kind or another (wine, beer, scotch).

A couple of months ago I decided to take a break from drinking and see what would happen. Would I miss it? Would I lose weight? Could I even stop?

After 2 months, I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. I lost 7 pounds so far and my eating habits are the same. I've absolutely not been on a diet. My stomach has gone down noticeably. And my biggest question whether I could stop or not? Yes. I did it with no problem. I was worried about having problems stopping because I was so addicted to smoking years ago that it was really, really hard to stop. One of the reasons I've always limited alcohol intake is because of my propensity to overdo with cigarettes.

I have a couple of glasses of wine almost everyday. Every now and then, I take a break for a week or two.

As to smoking, I picked up the habit while I was in the US Army. I smoked unfiltered Camels for the last 6 months I was stationed in Germany and for the entire 12 months I was in Vietnam. I quit cold turkey the day I separated from the Army and never looked back. I clearly remember dropping my cigarettes and a pipe in a waste container at San Francisco Airport. And that was that, 51 years ago.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #14
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

It's amazing what one can do when they get past the 'can I do it', & just decide to do it.

I was a vegetarian for 3 yrs, for Gds sake!
In HS I did a water fast for a week, for no reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #15
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

I enjoy red wine and craft beers too much, but last year we stopped for 6 months, and wasnt really hard, but I do enjoy beer grilling and wine with dinner.

We go in and out of phases.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #16
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I have a couple of glasses of wine almost everyday. Every now and then, I take a break for a week or two.

As to smoking, I picked up the habit while I was in the US Army. I smoked unfiltered Camels for the last 6 months I was stationed in Germany and for the entire 12 months I was in Vietnam. I quit cold turkey the day I separated from the Army and never looked back. I clearly remember dropping my cigarettes and a pipe in a waste container at San Francisco Airport. And that was that, 51 years ago.
First off, thank you for your service.

Unfiltered Camels was hard core! I was up to 3 packs a day when I quit. I found myself lighting my next cigarette off the one I was just finishing. I woke up one morning and realized I had to stop. My propensity to overdo is why I'm careful with alcohol. I don't want to have to give it up completely. I'm grateful I have the ability to do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 01:35 PM   #17
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

I've all but stopped drinking. I just dont enjoy it anymore. I have 1 drink now, any drink, whether its beer, wine, cider, or hard alcohol and I feel like shit the entire next day. It's just not worth it anymore. I've replaced alcohol with coffee and chocolate. I cant stop!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #18
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

It's odd how it can affect people in the same family differently. My brother and sister both had to quit last year for health reasons. Neither one was "addicted" per se. They didn't go through DTs or any withdrawal and both have been clean for months. But they were both binge drinkers. Once they started, they didn't stop until they passed out or were close to it. Both of them could drink themselves to passing out and be fine the next day. Yet if I have more than three beers or whiskeys, I won't be falling down drunk, but I'll feel awful the next day. So I don't exceed those limits.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #19
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I've all but stopped drinking. I just dont enjoy it anymore. I have 1 drink now, any drink, whether its beer, wine, cider, or hard alcohol and I feel like shit the entire next day. It's just not worth it anymore. I've replaced alcohol with coffee and chocolate. I cant stop!
Funny you should say that. I usually had a drink after dinner. Now instead, I have a cup of decaf coffee and a piece of chocolate. Whatever works!
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11462.50
      04-26-2021, 04:26 PM   #20
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
If I go to lose weight - alcohol is the 1st item I cut. I can drop a good 10lbs or so over a month when I do. I dropped 20lbs from the end of January through May during the start of the pandemic. Started traveling again the end of May - gain about 15 back over this past year.
      04-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #21
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
I only drink when out and even though I have a nice bar, not at home alone unless I have a REALLY bad day.

Because of what I do for a living, my limit is usually always 2 drinks.

When I was training hard to box and learn MMA from about 2006 to 2011, I probably only had about 3 or 4 drinks during the entire time interval and ate no fast food or anything possibly bad for you. The first time I ate french fries I actually threw them up.

I enjoy a glass of wine and a gin and tonic now and again. Bourbon on special occasions but I just don't enjoy alcohol as much as I did in the past.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11369.50
      04-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #22
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I can easily not consume alcohol and turn it back on, and vice versa. Case in point: started buying a bunch of whiskey when pandemic hits and consumed it on a regular basis. Then Summer came and I phased it out and started drinking some beer. Then I stopped beer. There were periods where I didn’t drink at all. Started getting back into wine more. It really is dependent on my mood and not so much of “i must drink everyday” or not drink everyday thing.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11369.50