BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-23-2021, 05:21 PM   #23
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm beyond stoked to see Joe T as Sub Zero. He's doing us Indonesians proud

Also he's signed on for 4 movies LFGGG
      04-23-2021, 06:45 PM   #24
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Today.... "FINISH HIM!!!!!!!!"
That’s what she said.

Will probably watch it on Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:36 PM   #25
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Just finished watching this on HBO Max. I didn't set the bar high mentally (I'm sure you all get it) but, in the end, didn't think it was too bad. I actually think it could've been a little bit longer to drag out the fight scenes more.

It's not a highly or overly stylized movie but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd watch the next one w/o the feeling of obligation and hope due to nostalgia (as I did w/ the Transformers movies).
      04-23-2021, 10:37 PM   #26
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Nostalgia kicking big time. Thank you for posting.
      04-23-2021, 11:09 PM   #27
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I thought Kano was cast fairly well and laughed when he did his signature heart extraction and said "Kano wins."
Appreciate 1
kanovic456.00
      04-24-2021, 01:19 AM   #28
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

It was entertaining and better than expected.
Appreciate 2
shimmy232350.00
mc-m3213.00
      04-24-2021, 02:26 AM   #29
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Fun campy movie, looking forward to sequels! I like the way they did fatalities in this movie - over the top, slightly comedic, and very true to the games. I was afraid for a hot sec that they were gonna end up as SAW style torture traps

Not gonna lie though, I thought the fights were a little underwhelming... knowing Joe T I was expecting The Raid or Night Comes For Us level fight scenes (highly recommend if you like fight choreography). I feel like he was obviously on another level in terms of fight choreography and they had to slow him down to match the rest of the cast’s abilities
      04-24-2021, 02:27 AM   #30
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
I thought Kano was cast fairly well and laughed when he did his signature heart extraction and said "Kano wins."
They HAVE to bring him back (probably as a revenant), he was fantastic
      04-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #31
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
They HAVE to bring him back (probably as a revenant), he was fantastic
In the game, his 'laser eye' was augmented. Getting his biological laser eye...'treated to' as it was in the movie opens the door for that (maybe?)?

I was hoping for a little more Scorpion action, though. My wifey wasn't too familiar w/ Mortal Kombat before watching the movie. She now understands where I got the way I sometimes say "get over here" to our dogs while playing.
      04-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #32
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not gonna lie though, I thought the fights were a little underwhelming... knowing Joe T I was expecting The Raid or Night Comes For Us level fight scenes (highly recommend if you like fight choreography). I feel like he was obviously on another level in terms of fight choreography and they had to slow him down to match the rest of the cast's abilities
I something about the director having more of a background in commercials vs movies. IMDB only lists 1 other movie to his credit so perhaps there was some learning curve in effect not to mention whatever cost/schedule was allotted. I would imagine the fight sequences to only get better. I love The Raid movies. Wasn't there supposed to be a 3rd?

Edit....from Variety (online):
"Though “Mortal Kombat” is McQuoid’s feature directorial debut, the Australian filmmaker cut his teeth shooting commercials for the likes of Apple, HBO, Netflix, Volkswagen, Mercedes and Samsung. He’s no stranger to the video game world either, having made cinematic shorts for Xbox, PlayStation and Activision for games like “Halo 3” and “Call of Duty.” "
      04-24-2021, 02:26 PM   #33
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

The fight scenes were kind of off. I thought they were good a lot of times, but then there would be one motion or whatnot that just looked like it was done by someone unskilled. It would be just a tad too slow and cumbersome, throwing off the immersion suddenly.
Appreciate 3
RugbyBro7601.50
kanovic456.00
Xx__xs201.00
      04-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #34
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
In the game, his 'laser eye' was augmented. Getting his biological laser eye...'treated to' as it was in the movie opens the door for that (maybe?)?

I was hoping for a little more Scorpion action, though. My wifey wasn't too familiar w/ Mortal Kombat before watching the movie. She now understands where I got the way I sometimes say "get over here" to our dogs while playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I something about the director having more of a background in commercials vs movies. IMDB only lists 1 other movie to his credit so perhaps there was some learning curve in effect not to mention whatever cost/schedule was allotted. I would imagine the fight sequences to only get better. I love The Raid movies. Wasn't there supposed to be a 3rd?

Edit....from Variety (online):
"Though “Mortal Kombat” is McQuoid’s feature directorial debut, the Australian filmmaker cut his teeth shooting commercials for the likes of Apple, HBO, Netflix, Volkswagen, Mercedes and Samsung. He’s no stranger to the video game world either, having made cinematic shorts for Xbox, PlayStation and Activision for games like “Halo 3” and “Call of Duty.” "
Oh yah, I'm a major MK nerd so I'm already thinking about a lot of possibilities in the next movie to introduce new characters. Some of my predictions for the sequel, in addition to the living members at the end:

Kano: resurrected as revenant, possibly gains robotic eye due to losing his arcana eye
Mileena: resurrected as revenant
Kung Lao: ressurected as revenant, allied with Outworld
Johnny Cage: brought in w/ new marker as hinted by MK
Kuai Liang: descendent of Bi-Han, gains new marker after events of MK
Shao Khan: Brought in as the primary antagonist, Thanos style - relegates Shang Tsung to a secondary role
Kitana: Brought in thru Shao Khan, but allies with Earthrealm
Noob Saibot: Joe on for 4 movies so this one is obvious - I think they will make Noob way more relevant than he is in the game since Joe carried this movies fights and they built the universe around him
Cole Young: relegated to sideline role, ultimately forgotten about
Scorpion: I kind of hope they recast this somehow - I love Hiroyuki but he's too old, and not imposing enough IMO. Not a lot of imposing Asian actors in Hollywood at the moment

Yeah I never heard of the director before, overall I think he did alright - just thought the fights could have been a bit more intense/stylized. Maybe bring in Gareth Evans for the next one - if they can get Iko Uwais somehow (possibly as Kuai Liang), it would be insane chemistry with Joe. That would make the next one a low-key Raid reunion, but that's not a bad thing lol
      04-24-2021, 03:29 PM   #35
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

Quote:
Fun campy movie, looking forward to sequels! I like the way they did fatalities in this movie - over the top, slightly comedic, and very true to the games. I was afraid for a hot sec that they were gonna end up as SAW style torture traps

Not gonna lie though, I thought the fights were a little underwhelming... knowing Joe T I was expecting The Raid or Night Comes For Us level fight scenes (highly recommend if you like fight choreography). I feel like he was obviously on another level in terms of fight choreography and they had to slow him down to match the rest of the cast’s abilities
They actually had a behind the scenes I watched and said they made him slow down because he was going way to fast lol.. I liked the money but felt it was rushed a little. They could have done a better build up for the characters imo
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      04-24-2021, 03:50 PM   #36
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanovic View Post
They actually had a behind the scenes I watched and said they made him slow down because he was going way to fast lol.. I liked the money but felt it was rushed a little. They could have done a better build up for the characters imo
Yeah I figured that was it, but all in all not bad. Also, the dude who played Kung Lao did a great job - I read he was a martial artist by trade.

I was expecting something better than this based on the way they marketed the movie as being next level in fight scenes. There's a better fight at the end of the movie, but I don't want to post and spoil that for those who want to see it lol

Also this classic scene (actually Taslim's first movie) - this is what he could bring as Noob if he has better choreography - starts at 2:25

Last edited by RugbyBro; 04-24-2021 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 09:13 PM   #37
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

I just managed to finish it after falling asleep halfway through last night. It wasn't that it was boring; it's just when that time hits, I'm gone.

Anyway, I found it a lot better than the original. I was stationed down in Orlando when I got to see the original in the theaters. I loved the soundtrack at the time.

I felt this was a more true-to-canon representation of Mortal Kombat as a whole and appreciated some of the nicer touches. Probably my favorite part is the fight between Jax and Reiko, when Jax smashes his hands together to finish off Reiko... "yea these motherfuckers work!"
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 06:32 AM   #38
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

this movie sucked. all i enjoyed were the finishers
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #39
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
There was..... back in 1994;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_(1994_film)

They were actually going to make a newer one, but idk what happened with that, probably covid
with JC Van Damme, wasnt he Guile
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2021, 12:31 PM   #40
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Started watching this Sunday night. Not because I wanted to, I just kinda figured why not?

From what I watched of it, I enjoyed the character development. I've seen better fight scenes between my children when they were 4 & 5 years old. All in all, what I watched was enjoyable enough to type this.....but no more. I'll eventually finish it (intentional pun) but only when there is nothing on tv that interests me, but honestly; I'd probably watch another re-run of Most Expensivest before I turn this back on.
Appreciate 0