BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-29-2021, 07:18 PM   #133
lexamckenzie
Rep
Drives: Gray Honda Civiv Hatchback

It's a good salary, but the tax is indeed a bummer.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983890.00
      07-29-2021, 07:23 PM   #134
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Feeling great today. Got 2 cars out
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11446.00
chassis6373.50
      07-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #135
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
You're buddy is getting screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
^This.

Our previous neighbors just moved to Boston (Quincy) and he took a job as a senior software engineer at Amazon. He has about 8 years experience and is making about $180K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Your buddy should look for greener pastures. My brother who dicked his way through college is making $150k base at Amazon. He's not even in the software side. Of course it took a couple years of mediocre salaries at small companies to get there, but he made it.
$95k after tax. His salary is about $140k. Also gets stocks. They just went public, he is dreaming to bank millions on this
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      07-29-2021, 07:32 PM   #136
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
Good on you, you sound like an excellent manager and advocate for your team. They are lucky to have you.

Curious how you deal with comp for the "lifers" in your team. You know, the folks who have been there 20, 25, years. They do an excellent job, but lets face it every role has a maximum comp beyond which it makes no sense to pay regardless of knowledge and tenure. In the field I'm in, engineering, I see that frequently with young and bright engineers who eventually top out and have to make a choice: Stay technical or go into management. The fact is, no one is going to pay an ME $500k a year, no matter how good they are or how well they know the business. At some point they top out. And at some point it makes more sense to just let them leave and bring in a new employee who commands a lower salary.

At some point you may rise up to an executive level with SG&A responsibility. Thats the point where you really start to see that every role has, unfortunately, compensation limits no matter how great the employee is.
I work for a big company that provides many opportunities for career paths in either technical or leadership roles. I was a Principal Engineer and found that I had pretty much hit my peak in that role. I then transitioned to a manager role. I find I now have more to contribute through leadership experience. I'm in the same "level", but with more opportunity to achieve the next level than I would have had I stayed purely technical. Each level has a salary range that let's people see raises for many years before topping out. The easiest way to get that next level is to take a new position that is open at that level. Some people are content to stay in ther comfort zone, while those that want to get to the executive levels have that opportunity.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      07-29-2021, 07:35 PM   #137
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
Feeling great today. Got 2 cars out
I think the questions you gotta ask yourself are:

1) Do you enjoy what you do?
2) Are you proud of what you do?
3) Can you see yourself doing this for the next 30 to 40 years?
4) Is this a job or a career?

Dont be that car salesman who wakes up at 40 and tries to re-invent himself. I think you got lured into this by fast, easy, money. And there's nothing wrong with that provided the answers above are all "yes." But if you think there might be a "no" in there, especially for #3, start making a plan B now. Not saying you need to drop what you're doing but maybe consider doing this full time for a couple years. Save up some cash then start taking some classes. Maybe some business or finance classes. I think you've got 5 years max in the car business before you have pigeon-holed yourself into a corner you cant get out of. A guy with 5 years of car sales experience and a fresh degree can pivot into a white collar job, particularly if you can say "Oh yeah, I was just working my self through school." A guy with 10, 15, 20 years of car sales experience and a fresh degree is going to just keep hitting walls as he tries to escape. The stigma is too great. White-collar corporate America views car salesman as kinda sleazy. Most white collar corporate businesses don't want a car sales guy on their sales team because the pitch and the approach is different; they worry you'll piss off customers by appearing pushy and dishonest. I'm not saying you are any of those things but understand that your job is going to get you profiled and the longer you are in it the worse it will be.
Appreciate 2
Mosaud19983890.00
King Rudi13152.00
      07-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #138
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
$95k after tax. His salary is about $140k. Also gets stocks. They just went public, he is dreaming to bank millions on this
Got it. Missed that was take-home. Yeah he's doin' just fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:52 PM   #139
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Ps. My wife is a lead planner, I think going about 7-8 years for this company. Asked for 75k raise, they gave her 74.....

I told her to find another job, but she likes it because it's close and management team is alright.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983890.00
      07-29-2021, 07:56 PM   #140
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:

Dont be that car salesman who wakes up at 40 and tries to re-invent himself. I think you got lured into this by fast, easy, money. And there's nothing wrong with that provided the answers above are all "yes." But if you think there might be a "no" in there, especially for #3, start making a plan B now. Not saying you need to drop what you're doing but maybe consider doing this full time for a couple years. Save up some cash then start taking some classes. Maybe some business or finance classes. I think you've got 5 years max in the car business before you have pigeon-holed yourself into a corner you cant get out of. A guy with 5 years of car sales experience and a fresh degree can pivot into a white collar job, particularly if you can say "Oh yeah, I was just working my self through school." A guy with 10, 15, 20 years of car sales experience and a fresh degree is going to just keep hitting walls as he tries to escape. The stigma is too great. White-collar corporate America views car salesman as kinda sleazy. Most white collar corporate businesses don't want a car sales guy on their sales team because the pitch and the approach is different; they worry you'll piss off customers by appearing pushy and dishonest. I'm not saying you are any of those things but understand that your job is going to get you profiled and the longer you are in it the worse it will be.
I think by that age I'll be a GM. I'm trying to build my way into finance right now. I wanna build my way up to the GM position before I turn 30

Learning financing from the finance manager when it's not busy.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      07-29-2021, 08:09 PM   #141
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think by that age I'll be a GM. I'm trying to build my way into finance right now. I wanna build my way up to the GM position before I turn 30

Good for you! But the same stigma applies. Just go into this eyes open. If I'm looking at the resume of a guy who spent 5 to 7 years selling cars then advanced to a GM position at a dealership, I'm thinking all you know is the dealership business. I'm not sure I'd look twice at that resume.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983890.00
      07-29-2021, 08:25 PM   #142
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
I got an associates degree from My community College this year.

The GM at My job makes around $164k/year

I want to move out to Texas but that won't be until I don't save enough
That seems incredibly low for a GM at a dealership.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983890.00
      07-29-2021, 08:26 PM   #143
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good for you! But the same stigma applies. Just go into this eyes open. If I'm looking at the resume of a guy who spent 5 to 7 years selling cars then advanced to a GM position at a dealership, I'm thinking all you know is the dealership business. I'm not sure I'd look twice at that resume.
I agree with you on this one. Most corporate jobs, in areas like business development, contracts negotiation, sales and so forth, require the employee to be effective at building relationships. I'm sure car salesmen are taught this to a degree, but their focus is definitely not that, but rather to get a target in and out of the door. Likely, they'll never see their customers ever again, so they take a shark approach. Last time I bought a car with a friend, they were pushing useless things like security packages, extended warranties, and other things with very little value proposition to my buddy, it just felt scummy. They're doing their jobs, I get it. That stuff doesn't fly in the corporate world…well maybe in a few positions and industries.
Appreciate 3
Mosaud19983890.00
DETRoadster11446.00
King Rudi13152.00
      07-30-2021, 02:49 AM   #144
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

That's really great for a salary, but it's not your salary as you're not guaranteed to make that amount since it fluctuates based on performance bonuses and incentives. Base income is your salary. Similar to a waiter's base salary and working for tips, except your extras are being taxed.

If you're listing your income for a loan or something like that, then all the bonuses you pulled in on your paycheck up to that point including base pay count as gross taxable income… for that year..
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Mosaud19983890.00
      07-30-2021, 07:07 AM   #145
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

It's interesting you made the sleazy car salesman analogy. The two past companies I worked for pushed us into this being sleazy car salesman. I may be as bold to say sleazy used car salesman. The later more than the former. I've been highly technical my entire career. And going into sales was a big leap for me as I didn't want to be what you're saying. But both companies and more so the later didn't value that from any of their sales engineers. We are first and foremost sales people. Our training consisted of being Powerpoint jockeys. There was more emphasis on us being in Salesforce to manage the sales pipeline versus focusing on the technical knowledge of the products/solutions were were tasked to sell. And we were put into all sorts of sales related training to teach us how to "talk" to customers.

I was successful because I got connected to an AE that knew what I am and leveraged that to his advantage. He took all the sales related crap off my plate and let me be me. A technical trusted advisor for all of our customers. My customers related to me a lot more because I approached them from the technical side solely and then built a sales strategy/approach after figuring out the problem and solution. It also helped that they can tell I was one of them as I used to sit on the opposite side of the table when I was a Federal contractor.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983890.00
      07-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #146
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGoGoMoto View Post
That's really great for a salary, but it's not your salary as you're not guaranteed to make that amount since it fluctuates based on performance bonuses and incentives. Base income is your salary. Similar to a waiter's base salary and working for tips, except your extras are being taxed.

If you're listing your income for a loan or something like that, then all the bonuses you pulled in on your paycheck up to that point including base pay count as gross taxable income… for that year..
I'm not really on salary. It's more commission. My YTD right now has of today is $19,877. Including bonuses (I've been hitting bonus since I started working here 2.5 months ago) and spiffs.

The YTD isn't going to go down. It'll just continue to rise. July is usually a slow month for car sales since folks are out on vacation. \

I was out for a week with on 1.5 car out. Came back and in two weeks sold 11.5 cars and hit the first bonus of 12 cars.

That's an extra $250 on top of my commission check and spiff.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 11:56 AM   #147
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
I'm not really on salary. It's more commission. My YTD right now has of today is $19,877. Including bonuses (I've been hitting bonus since I started working here 2.5 months ago) and spiffs.

The YTD isn't going to go down. It'll just continue to rise. July is usually a slow month for car sales since folks are out on vacation. \

I was out for a week with on 1.5 car out. Came back and in two weeks sold 11.5 cars and hit the first bonus of 12 cars.

That's an extra $250 on top of my commission check and spiff.
Car sales are about to slow down. be careful.

Used car prices have gotten to a point where people are just priced out of the market, and new cars are going to be hit with even more shortages as manufacturers have recently stopped production until the chip supply opens up.

June car sales were down to 1.3 from a steady 1.5 for the previous 3 months.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983890.00
      07-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #148
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Car sales are about to slow down. be careful.

Used car prices have gotten to a point where people are just priced out of the market, and new cars are going to be hit with even more shortages as manufacturers have recently stopped production until the chip supply opens up.

June car sales were down to 1.3 from a steady 1.5 for the previous 3 months.
I hear you on that.

We had a meeting today and apparently ford and other manufacturers are going to start sending cars without chips to dealerships.

The dealers service department will put the chips in.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #149
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I hear you on that.

We had a meeting today and apparently ford and other manufacturers are going to start sending cars without chips to dealerships.

just give me a heads up once ford f150's supply starts ramping up again. I need a new truck for work

Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983890.00
      07-30-2021, 12:10 PM   #150
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
I hear you on that.

That a scary thought. There is more to installing the "chips" than popping the hood an plugging it in. We're talking about chips that are on circuit boards that are soldered in by robotic placement tools in an electronics assembly plant. I don't see dealerships being up to that task, and I fear for the reliability of cars that get this done by a dealer.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983890.00
      07-30-2021, 12:13 PM   #151
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
That a scary thought. There is more to installing the "chips" than popping the hood an plugging it in. We're talking about chips that are on circuit boards that are soldered in by robotic placement tools in an electronics assembly plant. I don't see dealerships being up to that task, and I fear for the reliability of cars that get this done by a dealer.
Yup, that's what we were talking about.

Chevy already started doing that.

I went to the Chevy dealership across the street and they marked up there Silverados, Traverse, Tahoes and Suburbans $15k above sticker

We hardly have our new cars priced above sticker. Only ones that are above sticker are the Mach 1s, F-150 Limited we have and a Roush Supercharged Mustang.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #152
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
what ive seen is they arent installing just the chip into the car, they are installing the modules that include the chips. much easier install.

Appreciate 2
dscabra4944.50
Mosaud19983890.00
      07-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #153
Finn Germai-Yaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

What is the net amount after taxes, health insurance, and retirement?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 03:00 PM   #154
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Yes