BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-28-2021, 01:49 PM   #1
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Bipedal robot that can run a 5k

This is pretty cool.

https://www.engadget.com/watch-cassi...093045955.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 12:19 AM   #2
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

The advancements in robots is awesome and scary all at once.

Awesome because of all the possibilities it opens up, like people being able to talk again.

Scary because of how they could be used for things like power and war.

We just had a convo yesterday about robotic advancements and how its surprising we don't have exo-suits and such (we do have some simple designs).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
....We just had a convo yesterday about robotic advancements and how its surprising we don't have exo-suits and such (we do have some simple designs).
We don't have cars to buy due to reliance on others to produce the micro-chips we need. We certainly won't have exo-suits. Nor does anyone (select few excluded) have the money, space or need to buy them. Remember, we were going to have flying cars by now.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #4
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Well I predict the likes of Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson getting an exo-suit before everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 03:22 AM   #5
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
We don't have cars to buy due to reliance on others to produce the micro-chips we need. We certainly won't have exo-suits. Nor does anyone (select few excluded) have the money, space or need to buy them. Remember, we were going to have flying cars by now.
We don't have microchips because manufacturing plants are behind because of COVID and a few other impacts on production, not because we don't know how to produce them. We have the tech to make exo-suits (I don't mean Ironman suits). There has been testing for various forms of exo-suits for things like assisted lifting, assisted walking, etc. We have the tech for sensors to sense micro-movement and have it become electronically assisted. Cost does come into play though. Electronically assisted suits could be beneficial for manual labor, but the cost still outweighs the increase in productivity. But everything is always expensive at first. Cars were once thought to be out of reach of most folks, now look at em. TV's, computers, cell phones, once all "too expensive".

We also have the ability to somewhat control prosthetics through our nervous system. I think it was 2019 or 2020 that they were able to get someone to "feel" through a prosthetic. If they ever figure out how to truly tap into our nervous system then I'm sure suits will become a big thing in the medical field. A lot of people will walk again. But, on the flip side, that could spark some scary military advancements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Well I predict the likes of Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson getting an exo-suit before everyone else.
I could see Branson doing this with his lifestyle but he is getting old, not sure about Elon. Maybe if Elon had an injury that prevented him from walking.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 04:34 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Reminds me of Robocop.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2021, 06:41 AM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

What I always wonder, is why the obsession with bipedal.

I mean a bipedal setup is imho pretty much not the best at virtually any task.

Humans are bipedal because of our descendance, falling into the group of mamalia. These have all 4 extremities (ok, maybe not whales and dolpins although I don't know if there is a rudimentary place), where most animals use all 4 of these for walking, humans have adapted to walk on 2 extremities because that leaves 2 other extremities to do other things (why we have hands). Apparantly growing extra extremities by means of evolution is way more difficult than adapting the extremities already there.
But a robot doesn't have those limitations.
To make a robot, it doesn't matter if it has 2 legs (and maybe 2 arms), or 4 legs and 4 arms or whatever the combination you choose.

So to me a bipedal robot is something designed to appeal to us on an emotional basis (and maybe therefore get easier funding?) than that it's actually better at the task at hand.
So I can't think of any other real purpose for bipedal than to appeal on human emotions. So my prediction is that in the far future when walking robots are a common use, the bipedal ones will be sex robots
That of course makes it a very lucrative business and might be the ultimate underlying reason they get funding now
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
What I always wonder, is why the obsession with bipedal.

I mean a bipedal setup is imho pretty much not the best at virtually any task.

Humans are bipedal because of our descendance, falling into the group of mamalia. These have all 4 extremities (ok, maybe not whales and dolpins although I don't know if there is a rudimentary place), where most animals use all 4 of these for walking, humans have adapted to walk on 2 extremities because that leaves 2 other extremities to do other things (why we have hands). Apparantly growing extra extremities by means of evolution is way more difficult than adapting the extremities already there.
But a robot doesn't have those limitations.
To make a robot, it doesn't matter if it has 2 legs (and maybe 2 arms), or 4 legs and 4 arms or whatever the combination you choose.

So to me a bipedal robot is something designed to appeal to us on an emotional basis (and maybe therefore get easier funding?) than that it's actually better at the task at hand.
So I can't think of any other real purpose for bipedal than to appeal on human emotions. So my prediction is that in the far future when walking robots are a common use, the bipedal ones will be sex robots
That of course makes it a very lucrative business and might be the ultimate underlying reason they get funding now
Hence... invention of the wheel.
Appreciate 1
GuidoK10625.00
      08-16-2021, 06:02 AM   #9
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

One day, he'll run 20k and get lost..
He'll be bock…
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2021, 03:34 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I'm certainly in no position to judge anyones physical abilities... but that struck me more like a speed walk/prance than a run.

Plus we have rockets that go into fucking space and come back on their own... not super amused by some prancing robo legs.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #11
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I'm certainly in no position to judge anyones physical abilities... but that struck me more like a speed walk/prance than a run.

Plus we have rockets that go into fucking space and come back on their own... not super amused by some prancing robo legs.
Haha, yeah I hear you. I for one will definitely not be amused when these bastards take over and become our enemies like in Terminator aka Skynet.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #12
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
This technology has been in work for some time. My daughter is a Neuro Psychologist and worked on the cap used to make this demonstration happen:

Appreciate 2
TiMSport12792.50
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      08-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #13
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

They will realize,

We won't be able to build a robot that is like a human, till we build a robot that can build a robot to do it..
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12792.50