BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #111
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
I have no idea what my credit score is. Is there some reason I need to be concerned about it if I don't intend to take out a loan? I haven't had a loan since 1989 or any debt since then other than credit cards which are paid in full every month.
Your credit is probably fine. The credit cards can give you a credit score so you have some idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #112
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Looool. Well if you can consistently get 40% gains on the market every year, enjoy your tens of millions of dollars in middle age.

Everyone else who thinks they can do this, but is wrong, is going to lose all their shit in the next economic slowdown
I'm at 75% return on investment so far. I like to gamble.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #113
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
When I did a balance transfer there was typically a $10 fee so it made it not worth it unless it's a large amount and the interest rate is much better on the other card. Doesn't make sense if you're paying it off every month.
If you have fees then it doesnt make sense. But there are so many cards out there that offer good rates with no fees. I get those offers all the time.

At the time we used this strategy, my wife (girlfriend at the time) owed over $17k+ in debt. ( Which is huge for a college kid ). I was getting credit card offers for balance transfers for 0% for 6mos...w/ no fees. I had pretty good credit at the time because my parents house was under my name and I was part of thier loan since I was 18. I get credit card offers like that all the time.

So we moved the money around between 2-3 cards. She Paid the max she can afford every month. Eventually paid it completely off in a year or so. As your credit gets better, so do the rates... Ironically, you will get plenty of offers like this when you dont need it. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 06:36 PM   #114
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Well done but being up 75% over almost 4 years is not a 40% annual return...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 07:23 PM   #115
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Indeed. OP is doing well, but we’ve all had the wind at our backs the past 4 years. I think index funds have returned like, what...50% or so over the same period?

I’m not doubting you, OP, but in my strong opinion, you ‘gamble’ with money you already have, not money you’re borrowing through HELOC or wherever. You lose that money and you’re now struggling to pay off that loan from your other cash flow...or you’re losing your house.

This happened to countless people during the last downturn of the late ‘10s. Economy slows, those investments start to lose money. This compounds when the same people lost their jobs or got underemployed, so now they REALLY can’t pay off these HELOCs.

I wouldn’t discourage you from investing, and your general thinking of making your money work for you is great...just proceed with caution. Leveraged investing is one of the riskiest things you can do.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      05-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #116
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Quote:
Indeed. OP is doing well, but we’ve all had the wind at our backs the past 4 years. I think index funds have returned like, what...50% or so over the same period?

I’m not doubting you, OP, but in my strong opinion, you ‘gamble’ with money you already have, not money you’re borrowing through HELOC or wherever. You lose that money and you’re now struggling to pay off that loan from your other cash flow...or you’re losing your house.

This happened to countless people during the last downturn of the late ‘10s. Economy slows, those investments start to lose money. This compounds when the same people lost their jobs or got underemployed, so now they REALLY can’t pay off these HELOCs.

I wouldn’t discourage you from investing, and your general thinking of making your money work for you is great...just proceed with caution. Leveraged investing is one of the riskiest things you can do.
I'n not actually using HELOC money to invest, though I've entertained the idea. At one point I was up over 100 percent and am slowly making my way back to that. I probably won't use HELOC money because it's less profitable and higher risk especially with a variable rate. I am re-investing dividends and shit like that but no I'm not getting stuck with a huge loan if I lose money. I did use HELOC money to upgrade my roof and partially to finance my car. In the process of refi to get the better introductory rate and then maybe I'll do a fixed rate after that.
Appreciate 1
Darth One6612.50
      05-06-2019, 07:09 AM   #117
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
X2. Think this is a little more than 14% annual returns.

At 18% annual returns you double your money in 4 years.

At 7% you double your money in 10 years. All before taxes.

No chance I would take out any loan to use the money to invest in the stock market (to open a business is a different thing). Make a realistic 8-10% and pay taxes on it, ending up with 7-8% (with considerable risk of doing much worse) and a loan that I took out at 6-7%? With my house on the line if something really bad happens.
      05-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #118
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Quote:
X2. Think this is a little more than 14% annual returns.

At 18% annual returns you double your money in 4 years.

At 7% you double your money in 10 years. All before taxes.

No chance I would take out any loan to use the money to invest in the stock market (to open a business is a different thing). Make a realistic 8-10% and pay taxes on it, ending up with 7-8% (with considerable risk of doing much worse) and a loan that I took out at 6-7%? With my house on the line if something really bad happens.
Not sure where you're getting those numbers from, maybe you're just dividing the number by years. The graph shows the percentage over time and it was negative in the early years but going up after that. Below are the numbers for 1 month, YTD etc. it is higher than that. 3 Yr is over 105%.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #119
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
What type of investment is this?

How much money did you put into it?

"Gambling" is a terrible investment strategy. It's fun to play around a bit if you've got some extra money, but taking big investment risks usually leads to failure in 90+% of the cases. For most, solid stocks/funds/bonds and time in the market is the way a secure investment strategy. When you get a solid nest egg (typically $1M for most), then you can play around a bit with some of it on some riskier stuff.
      05-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #120
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
What type of investment is this?

How much money did you put into it?
I brought a bunch of Apple stock. Let's just say it's a significant amount.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #121
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure where you're getting those numbers from, maybe you're just dividing the number by years. The graph shows the percentage over time and it was negative in the early years but going up after that. Below are the numbers for 1 month, YTD etc. it is higher than that. 3 Yr is over 105%.
My numbers are from here - https://www.bankrate.com/calculators...alculator.aspx

Normally people use average rate of return per year over ROI because it is difficult to compare ROI's. If my investment went up 173% over 4 years and your investment went up 240% over 8 years it is difficult to tell who's performed better. If my investment averaged 14% over 4 years and your investment averaged 16% over 6 years it is simpler.

It is also sometimes misleading to pick certain time periods that did extremely well and talk just about those if it virtually impossible to reliably buy on the bottom and sell at the top.
      05-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #122
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My numbers are from here - https://www.bankrate.com/calculators...alculator.aspx

Normally people use average rate of return per year over ROI because it is difficult to compare ROI's. If my investment went up 173% over 4 years and your investment went up 240% over 8 years it is difficult to tell who's performed better. If my investment averaged 14% over 4 years and your investment averaged 16% over 6 years it is simpler.

It is also sometimes misleading to pick certain time periods that did extremely well and talk just about those if it virtually impossible to reliably buy on the bottom and sell at the top.
I just buy and hold it will go up over time. If I sold today I did pretty well but would have done better if I sold a few months ago. It will likely blow past the previous all time high within the next couple months the way things are trending, but like you said hard to predict exactly when. Earnings were reported last week and the price spiked in after hours trading and was up the next morning. Made several thousand dollars as a result. Things have leveled off a bit since. So there are some indicators when things will go up but not an exact science and I'm not betting on that. A dividend is going to be paid later this month which I will likely reinvest in the stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #123
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Thanks for the compliment! Regarding the talk about liquid? Are you asking what soda I bought with the calzone? I am not quite sure where you are from that you call it liquid, haha. Is this some new slang lingo?

Not sure where I said I have money. I said people admire that I know money. Hence- this man knows his money.
If giving up free money = knowing money, then I don't know money.

Quote:
and as you can see- the store doesnt even take credit cards - look at at the sign

And? A 25-year old TV episode proves what? That some small businesses don't take cards? Good for them. I won't patronize their business. I've had that happen exactly once in the last 15-16 years.

We recently went to a little hole in the wall mexican place last year, on the door it said "Cash only. No cards, no checks." We turned around and left.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #124
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the compliment! Regarding the talk about liquid? Are you asking what soda I bought with the calzone? I am not quite sure where you are from that you call it liquid, haha. Is this some new slang lingo?

Not sure where I said I have money. I said people admire that I know money. Hence- this man knows his money.
If giving up free money = knowing money, then I don't know money.

Quote:
and as you can see- the store doesnt even take credit cards - look at at the sign

And? A 25-year old TV episode proves what? That some small businesses don't take cards? Good for them. I won't patronize their business. I've had that happen exactly once in the last 15-16 years.

We recently went to a little hole in the wall mexican place last year, on the door it said "Cash only. No cards, no checks." We turned around and left.
If the hole in the wall place is really good and really cheap I'd consider it but not as a regular customer. Most small business not run by anyone over 60 will accept cards these days.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #125
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If I want to go somewhere and they only take cash I bring cash. Not seeing it as a big deal.
      05-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #126
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
If I want to go somewhere and they only take cash I bring cash. Not seeing it as a big deal.
We didn't know they only took cash until we parked and walked up to see the sign on the door. At that point, I already have to leave to go to an ATM, so I'm just going to go somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #127
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
So BofA was threatening to cancel my credit card if I didn't use it, which would have lowered my credit score. Today was the last day to use it without getting screwed even though I did nothing wrong. With no physical card and thus no security code I couldn't use the card but a stroke of genius told me to add it to Apple Pay. Now credit score is safe. Pretty lame that I would be punished if I didn't charge anything to the card. Seems counterintuitive ya think?
Call BS. You can't add it to Apple Pay without the security code that you say you didn't have.

Just adding it to Apple Pay won't stop them from canceling it, you still have to use it.

It is not counter intuitive. Anyone can open a lot of cards and stick them in a drawer and not use them, which ties up resources from the issuing bank. Someone that can use a card and keep in good standing is showing they are actively responsible, which is important for someone opening a line of credit they very likely intend to use.

Are you more worried about the average age of credit or the available credit with that card closing? There are ways to deal with each one.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #128
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

[QUOTE=Alvinized52;24745811]
3) keep monthly balances under 30% of credit limits.
[QUOTE]

You mean each card less than 30% or in total?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #129
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Quote:
So BofA was threatening to cancel my credit card if I didn't use it, which would have lowered my credit score. Today was the last day to use it without getting screwed even though I did nothing wrong. With no physical card and thus no security code I couldn't use the card but a stroke of genius told me to add it to Apple Pay. Now credit score is safe. Pretty lame that I would be punished if I didn't charge anything to the card. Seems counterintuitive ya think?
Call BS. You can't add it to Apple Pay without the security code that you say you didn't have.

Just adding it to Apple Pay won't stop them from canceling it, you still have to use it.

It is not counter intuitive. Anyone can open a lot of cards and stick them in a drawer and not use them, which ties up resources from the issuing bank. Someone that can use a card and keep in good standing is showing they are actively responsible, which is important for someone opening a line of credit they very likely intend to use.

Are you more worried about the average age of credit or the available credit with that card closing? There are ways to deal with each one.
I thought so too but it let me add the card from the BofA app to Apple Pay no card number or code required. No BS. After adding to Apple Pay I used it as I mentioned in the earlier post.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 01:22 AM   #130
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
[QUOTE=LOW4LYF;24761601][QUOTE=Alvinized52;24745811]
[QUOTE]

You mean each card less than 30% or in total?[/QUOTE

Each!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 07:04 AM   #131
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

[QUOTE=Alvinized52;24764219][QUOTE=LOW4LYF;24761601][QUOTE=Alvinized52;24745811]
Quote:

You mean each card less than 30% or in total?[/QUOTE

Each!
My credit score doesn't seem to have changed?

I consolidated everything to 1 card (0% interest transfer), so that card is up above 35%.........but my total utilization is only 11%.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #132
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
[QUOTE=OkieSnuffBox;24764690][QUOTE=Alvinized52;24764219][QUOTE=LOW4LYF;24761601]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post

My credit score doesn't seem to have changed?

I consolidated everything to 1 card (0% interest transfer), so that card is up above 35%.........but my total utilization is only 11%.
It could be you do not have long enough credit history yet. Do you have any big loans like student loans, mortgages, etc...??
Appreciate 0