BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

10-22-2021, 02:22 PM   #111
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Merc clever strategy, assuming merc ICE can run jet mode reliably for two races.

Bottas ICE ran Sochi and Turkey, so he will run a new ICE for US and Mexico in full jet mode.

Hammy PU changed in Turkey, so US is the second race in full jet mode. Hammy will take a new ICE for Mexico, and run it Brazil.

Bottas will take a new ICE in Brazil and run it for Qatar

Hammy will take a new ICE in Qatar/SA and run it for UAE

Bottas takes another ICE for SA and runs it for UAE.

Keeps Max off P1 and out of the top points barring a DNF

It’s amazing the ICE does not factor into the budget cap.
      10-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #112
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Merc clever strategy, assuming merc ICE can run jet mode reliably for two races.

Bottas ICE ran Sochi and Turkey, so he will run a new ICE for US and Mexico in full jet mode.

Hammy PU changed in Turkey, so US is the second race in full jet mode. Hammy will take a new ICE for Mexico, and run it Brazil.

It's amazing the ICE does not factor into the budget cap.
Don't call Merc clever! It's all Hammy remember?
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
      10-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #113
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:

It’s amazing the ICE does not factor into the budget cap.
The Mercedes BlitzKrieg will run in full Warp-Speed , but it won't work for them .

It's for sure that Bottas got access now to the full power mappings .
BUT ...Checo has showned us something in Turkey ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      10-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #114
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

1) About halfway through practice 2 they gave us an on board on the front of Lewis’ car where the tip of the top flap of the front wing was in front of a white letter on the base of the front wing, first time I really noticed how they depressed as the car picks up speed. Really cool to see it go up and down through the braking/accelerating.

2) AFAIK there’s a certain number of dry tires each driver is allocated for each race and they can pick and choose as they like(not sure how accurate this statement is lol). I’m curious as to why they choose so many softs when they mostly use mediums and hards during the race, especially those at the top. As I see it the main importance of the softs are during qualifying, especially at a track like this with above average tire wear and overheating. They continually comment how the softs overheat at the end of a fast lap. Wouldn’t they want more mediums/hards to get more data on race sims?
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #115
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
It's what Marko has worked out and Checo is needed like never before to prevent the MIB two from rearing their dirty trick snake heads.
FP-2 : "MAX vs HAM Incident" !

During FP2 , HAM and MAX came side by side over the start/finish line .
Once again HAM was playing mindf@ck games by slowing down in front of MAX.

And so ...It came to a dragrace and it finished by a middle finger !

Ain't no good !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 4
E92inNC1704.50
M5Rick58897.50
      10-22-2021, 04:47 PM   #116
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post

Ain't no good !
I like it, mind games and getting under your opponent’s skin are all a part of sports. Rattle them and they play out of character or make mistakes. These last few races are gonna be fantastic, bring on the mind games, or as well call it over here, sportsmanship
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #117
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:

Ain't no good !
Shame Max didn't sort him like he did to s f Ocon, that would be fun with Hams scared face..'you can't do that to me man I'm an icon'
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #118
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
The Mercedes BlitzKrieg will run in full Warp-Speed , but it won't work for them .

It's for sure that Bottas got access now to the full power mappings .
BUT ...Checo has showned us something in Turkey ...
Can't believe the PU doesn't take in the budget cap, no doubt another BS rule line wangled into the Mercafia way of things.
Appreciate 2
      10-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #119
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Red Bull Racing brings us, "The Bendy Wing". ILLEGAL.

Mercedes AMG Petronas Racing brings us, "The Squatty Stern". LEGAL.

Karen Horner and Darth Marko currently having coronaries.

James Allison earlier this season. "We won't reveal where we've spent our tokens but it will become apparent when you see it."

We see it.

( )
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 3
Steeler2422.00
F87source7177.50
Bongoxxx804.00
      10-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #120
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Red Bull Racing brings us, "The Bendy Wing". ILLEGAL.

Mercedes AMG Petronas Racing brings us, "The Squatty Stern". LEGAL.

Karen Horner and Darth Marko currently having coronaries.

James Allison earlier this season. "We won't reveal where we've spent our tokens but it will become apparent when you see it."

We see it.

( )
If you watched fp2 during the interview horner said they weren't worried about mercs suspension because they didn't think it was illegal.

And technically it's not illegal, because f1 cars are allowed to have suspension. This means if you smartly tune the damper settings it's progressive until it hits a certain load - the down force you would only see under high speeds that only occur during the straights, at which point the damper completely gives out and bottoms out allowing the rear to squat and stall the diffuser dropping off all the drag characteristics a high rake car would have. So essentially it's just how the damper is tuned not actually active suspension because nothing is active. This is actually insanely hard to do (tuning the dampers alone is hard as hell), and alot of suspension geometry needs to be taken into account when the car squats. So that's probably where they spent their development tokens - so smart... Not going to be easy to copy because the squat F's up suspension geometry alot, and it must be taken into consideration. I'm not sure if you can even implement it properly without alot of suspension changes and that needs a token. But we shall see, it's also gonna take alot of development time so aka sacrificing next year's car so let's see how many teams are gonna copy.

So what Mercedes is doing is in essense it's the reverse of what a street car spring does (if you have a good spring setup - I had this style of spring and damper on my frs so when it was lowered it would still have suspension compliance but it wouldn't compress enough to cause rub) where the street springs start super soft and get firmer as you go through it's travel. And this is stupid hard to achieve, especially if you have to calculate the exact loads that are needed.

Overall this is an engineers wet dream, like wow this is insanely clever and absolutely amazing. Me personally I'm geeking the heck out over this design. Like holy crap it's awesome, almost as awesome as das. So simple yet so ingenious.
Steeler2422.00
Bubbles2752.00
MKSixer34171.50
Bongoxxx804.00
      10-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #121
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
If you watched fp2 during the interview horner said they weren't worried about mercs suspension because they didn't think it was illegal.

And technically it's not illegal, because f1 cars are allowed to have suspension. This means if you smartly tune the damper settings it's progressive until it hits a certain load - the down force you would only see under high speeds that only occur during the straights, at which point the damper completely gives out and bottoms out allowing the rear to squat and stall the diffuser dropping off all the drag characteristics a high rake car would have. So essentially it's just how the damper is tuned not actually active suspension because nothing is active. This is actually insanely hard to do (tuning the dampers alone is hard as hell), and alot of suspension geometry needs to be taken into account when the car squats. So that's probably where they spent their development tokens - so smart... Not going to be easy to copy because the squat F's up suspension geometry alot, and it must be taken into consideration. I'm not sure if you can even implement it properly without alot of suspension changes and that needs a token. But we shall see, it's also gonna take alot of development time so aka sacrificing next year's car so let's see how many teams are gonna copy.

So what Mercedes is doing is in essense it's the reverse of what a street car spring does (if you have a good spring setup - I had this style of spring and damper on my frs so when it was lowered it would still have suspension compliance but it wouldn't compress enough to cause rub) where the street springs start super soft and get firmer as you go through it's travel. And this is stupid hard to achieve, especially if you have to calculate the exact loads that are needed.

Overall this is an engineers wet dream, like wow this is insanely clever and absolutely amazing. Me personally I'm geeking the heck out over this design. Like holy crap it's awesome, almost as awesome as das. So simple yet so ingenious.
Interesting how merc is using variable rate heave springs and matching preload to aero load on the straights. It explains why they have been running such large rear wings for the last few races. I have no doubt Newey would have identified this pretty quickly, his absence certainly had an impact on RBR. I’m curious how weather/elevation dependent this is. High speed corners would negate some of the advantage and they probably have to max the PU and adjust gearing but it’s working so far.

Merc got the math correct on this, I can see other teams attempting to emulate this with spectacular failure.

Last edited by Bubbles; 10-22-2021 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-22-2021, 09:13 PM   #122
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Interesting how merc is using variable rate heave springs and matching preload to aero load on the straights. It explains why they have been running such large rear wings for the last few races. I have no doubt Newey would have identified this pretty quickly, his absence certainly had an impact on RBR. I’m curious how weather/elevation dependent this is. High speed corners would negate some of the advantage and they probably have to max the PU and adjust gearing but it’s working so far.

Merc got the math correct on this, I can see other teams attempting to emulate this with spectacular failure.
Yeah it's a pretty interesting concept.

And yeah if it's done wrong you could loose so much down force on corerning elading to a major crash. Also you have to factor in suspension upsets like bump, what happens if you hit a bump while under a high amount of down force will the suspension completely compress?

I'm sure newey is also working on it, but the question comes down to how the rb16b's already twitchy rear end will adapt to this. Will alot of suspension work need to be done? Idk but im looking forward to it.
MKSixer34171.50
      10-22-2021, 11:11 PM   #123
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Where was max today? Dork got spanked by his team mate.

Oh sorry. Can I not bad mouth the second coming of Jesus here ?

Either way. Go lando !!!!
Steeler2422.00
MKSixer34171.50
      10-22-2021, 11:19 PM   #124
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Where was max today? Dork got spanked by his team mate.

Oh sorry. Can I not bad mouth the second coming of Jesus here ?

Either way. Go lando !!!!
Lando kinda died to me when he told his engineer to shut up while deciding to stay out in slicks in the rain.
Ricciardo and Hamilton a million times.
Want an underdog, it might be Russell's time next year.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      10-22-2021, 11:20 PM   #125
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Lando kinda died to me when he told his engineer to shut up while deciding to stay out in slicks in the rain.
Nah man it's stroll 22, stroll 23, stroll 24 etc lol

But in all honesty I wish the best for George.
________4157.00
MKSixer34171.50
      10-22-2021, 11:23 PM   #126
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Nah man it's stroll 22, stroll 23, stroll 24 etc lol

But in all honesty I wish the best for George.
Well, I meant underdog, not lap dog, or just dog…

In that case, I see your Stroll and I raise you my Mazepin.

Game, Check, Mate.
Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      10-23-2021, 03:29 AM   #127
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

Ain't no good !
Mercs trick rear spring/damper set up won't work if their PU starts cracking, they'll be using more PU's than we have hot dinners. My guess is they have to turn boost down a bit more to get through 2 races at least and using Bot as the guinea pig is a sign that they rolling the dice too much.
On a side note it's hilarious seing hammy walking around with his 'helper' woman nearly everywhere carrying his toiletries and essentials so he keeps his short arms free, then again there are snowflakes and there are prize snowflakes with their own assistants.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2021, 07:35 AM   #128
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

"That wasn’t the end to Verstappen’s vexation as he also decided to forgo his short run in FP2 amid traffic, retreating to the pits in dissatisfaction. He said: “In FP2 on the soft tyre, I didn’t put in the lap – but overall, I mean, it’s not easy out there."

suck it up buttercup, if it was easy everyone be doing it.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 07:39 AM   #129
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

"Stupid idiot"

Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
      10-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #130
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
"Stupid idiot"

Yes my friend, now I understand what Max was referring to..the previous corner where Ham forced Max off the track, this wasn't shown in the F1 clip that I saw and the commentators were asleep at that.
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #131
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Shame Max didn't sort him like he did to s f Ocon, that would be fun with Hams scared face..'you can't do that to me man I'm an icon'
During FP-2 ,Ocon (the piece of 5H1T) was complaining that he had something annoying hanging between his legs !
His pretty (sexy) GF should help him with that ...

Good Lord !

Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
      10-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #132
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Even during FP-2 , HAM is going (*deliberately) too wide ...Aka : "HAM's dirty tricks" !

#SilverstoneCopseTurn !
Attached Images

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 10-23-2021 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 3
M5Rick58897.50