BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #12321
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
Ickdeep's Avatar
United_States
4691
Rep
3,799
Posts

Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
2015 BMW X5  [5.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [5.00]
Rollers! Shot on a canon t3i with a 18-55mm lens (bought it like 6 years ago) and still does well
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 3
Itsed651383.00
Terry989328.50

      08-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #12322
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Itsed65's Avatar
1383
Rep
3,288
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

Explored today. Another "macro" using the 200-600

Backyard Bumblebee by lennycarl08, on Flickr
Appreciate 5
Ickdeep4691.00
Terry989328.50
M_Six4132.50
bosstones483.00

      08-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #12323
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1204
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
Explored today. Another "macro" using the 200-600
Wow!

Congrats on the Explore.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 03:44 PM   #12324
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1204
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
Explored today. Another "macro" using the 200-600
...
There's a guy, over on DPReview, saying that AF, on the a9, isn't as fast or reliable as the 100-400mm GM OSS. What do you think?

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #12325
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Itsed65's Avatar
1383
Rep
3,288
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
There's a guy, over on DPReview, saying that AF, on the a9, isn't as fast or reliable as the 100-400mm GM OSS. What do you think?

Dave
I haven't had a chance to really test it yet on BIF or anything, but it seems perfectly zippy to me. Now keep in mind I always had the 1.4 on my 100-400. I won't really know until the end of September or October when the raptors start migrating back this way to really get a food feel. Claims like that are usually subjective and largely use based anyway. How it works on a football field is useless to me and how it tracks a hawk is worthless to a sports guy.

What I can say is it picks up hummingbirds and bees pretty well
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #12326
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1204
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
I haven't had a chance to really test it yet on BIF or anything, but it seems perfectly zippy to me. Now keep in mind I always had the 1.4 on my 100-400. I won't really know until the end of September or October when the raptors start migrating back this way to really get a food feel. Claims like that are usually subjective and largely use based anyway. How it works on a football field is useless to me and how it tracks a hawk is worthless to a sports guy.

What I can say is it picks up hummingbirds and bees pretty well
Thanks for the info. I'm not buying it, seeing as how I have the 600/f4, but I recommend the 100-400mm to a lot of people.

Did you see the new 6600. I wish they'd upgrade the EVF. With my 6400, I have trouble tracking birds, when using the 6400 vs. my a9.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #12327
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Itsed65's Avatar
1383
Rep
3,288
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm not buying it, seeing as how I have the 600/f4, but I recommend the 100-400mm to a lot of people.

Did you see the new 6600. I wish they'd upgrade the EVF. With my 6400, I have trouble tracking birds, when using the 6400 vs. my A9.
I wouldn't hesitate in the least to recommend it for people wanting the reach. It is a relative bargain, and for Sony there is no 3rd party 150-600 like for the other brands, and I think it beats the Tamron or Sigma alternatives for Canikon hands down. There are some stunning images over on Fred Miranda from it.

Yeah I was really hoping form something better than a mild upgrade to the 6400. The bigger battery is nice and all, but I was hoping for a different form factor, with a front dial and joystick along with a center mounted viewfinder at least. IBIS for what I shoot isn't really a big deal. I saw nothing that will make me cancel my order for the 7RIV. I am interested to see how the crop mode works on that with the 200-600 mounted. I know it won't be at A9 level, but could still have some killer reach for perched birds and slower moving wildlife. I think we may have seen the last really high performance croppers with the D500 and 7D2. None of the companies seem to think that is a market worth pursuing.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 07:26 PM   #12328
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Itsed65's Avatar
1383
Rep
3,288
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

A direct 1400 pix crop from A9 with the 200-600+1.4TC. 840mm ISO 500 f9@1/1250

Owl Profile by lennycarl08, on Flickr
Appreciate 4
      08-28-2019, 08:20 PM   #12329
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1204
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
A direct 1400 pix crop from A9 with the 200-600+1.4TC. 840mm ISO 500 f9@1/1250
Nice shot!

Molting?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 08:25 PM   #12330
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1204
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
...

Yeah I was really hoping form something better than a mild upgrade to the 6400. The bigger battery is nice and all, but I was hoping for a different form factor, with a front dial and joystick along with a center mounted viewfinder at least. IBIS for what I shoot isn't really a big deal. I saw nothing that will make me cancel my order for the 7RIV. I am interested to see how the crop mode works on that with the 200-600 mounted. I know it won't be at A9 level, but could still have some killer reach for perched birds and slower moving wildlife. I think we may have seen the last really high performance croppers with the D500 and 7D2. None of the companies seem to think that is a market worth pursuing.
It IS a hell of a bargain for someone that wants into mirrorless interchangeable.

I was shooting this morning with a Canon friend. We've got matching rigs, but Sony vs. Canon, instead of the same brand. His EF 600/f4 III was nice, but balance was further forward than the Sony and the hood is unnecessarily large. He's bemoaning the unlikely 7D3 and fingers crossed that there's a pro mirrorless, with new sensor and performance to match the 1DX replacement. If that doesn't happen this winter, he's moving to Sony.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 09:04 PM   #12331
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Itsed65's Avatar
1383
Rep
3,288
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Nice shot!

Molting?
Juvenile I believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #12332
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Itsed65's Avatar
1383
Rep
3,288
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
It IS a hell of a bargain for someone that wants into mirrorless interchangeable.

I was shooting this morning with a Canon friend. We've got matching rigs, but Sony vs. Canon, instead of the same brand. His EF 600/f4 III was nice, but balance was further forward than the Sony and the hood is unnecessarily large. He's bemoaning the unlikely 7D3 and fingers crossed that there's a pro mirrorless, with new sensor and performance to match the 1DX replacement. If that doesn't happen this winter, he's moving to Sony.

Dave
If someone is starting, it is a good deal, I just have never liked the form factor of the 6XXX series. I never used the hoods on my Canon big whites as they were just too unwieldy, especially in a car. I got a nice threaded rubber hood for my 200-600 that brings its size down as well. I am still holding my Canon 500 in the hopes they can bring something worthwhile to the table in the mirror-less form, but I am am losing hope. Getting 840mm from the new lens, even at f9 is pretty cool though.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #12333
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1204
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
If someone is starting, it is a good deal, I just have never liked the form factor of the 6XXX series. I never used the hoods on my Canon big whites as they were just too unwieldy, especially in a car. I got a nice threaded rubber hood for my 200-600 that brings its size down as well. I am still holding my Canon 500 in the hopes they can bring something worthwhile to the table in the mirror-less form, but I am am losing hope. Getting 840mm from the new lens, even at f9 is pretty cool though.

I think that the RX-10 is actually the best "first step" for wildlife and bird. Only go into the bigger stuff, once you're taking hundreds or thousands of pictures per month and you run into situations where the RX-10 doesn't cut it for you.

My buddy has the EF 600mm f/4L IS III. Talk about a lens hood!!! That thing is crazy-big, on an already large lens.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 11:37 PM   #12334
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Itsed65's Avatar
1383
Rep
3,288
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I think that the RX-10 is actually the best "first step" for wildlife and bird. Only go into the bigger stuff, once you're taking hundreds or thousands of pictures per month and you run into situations where the RX-10 doesn't cut it for you.

My buddy has the EF 600mm f/4L IS III. Talk about a lens hood!!! That thing is crazy-big, on an already large lens.
The RX10 is really the best kept secret for a lot of folks! It punches way above its weight, especially if you only publish to the web!
Appreciate 1
dcstep1204.00

      08-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #12335
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1204
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
The RX10 is really the best kept secret for a lot of folks! It punches way above its weight, especially if you only publish to the web!
EXACTLY, which is how most people use their images.

61-mp on the a7IV!!!! You only need it if you print 72". Besides me and you, what crazy people do that??

Okay, being able to do a huge crop and still have 20-mp left is the other good reason. Who does that? Us wildlife photographers!

Why do wildlife photographers buy $13,000 lenses? So you can crop 70% and still have this level of detail:

Family Fishing Trip by David Stephens, on Flickr

Love my 600/f4!
__________________
Appreciate 3
Itsed651383.00
eagle_bmw104.00
Terry989328.50

      08-30-2019, 09:20 PM   #12336
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Itsed65's Avatar
1383
Rep
3,288
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)


Hummingbird 8 by lennycarl08, on Flickr
Appreciate 4
bosstones483.00
Terry989328.50
M_Six4132.50

      08-31-2019, 10:32 PM   #12337
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1204
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Small Bumble-bee On Lavender by David Stephens, on Flickr

Using the 100-400mm, with FE 1.4x teleconverter, on a7RIII, with Kenko 25mm extension tubes, allowing focus to 18" at 560mm. This is around a 50% crop, resulting in around 8-times life size, when viewed at 1024p on a 27" monitor.
__________________
Appreciate 3
bosstones483.00
Terry989328.50
M_Six4132.50

      08-31-2019, 10:33 PM   #12338
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1204
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Japanese Beetle On Lavender by David Stephens, on Flickr
__________________
Appreciate 2
Terry989328.50
Ickdeep4691.00

      09-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #12339
bosstones
Major
483
Rep
1,325
Posts

Drives: o_0
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Suburbia

iTrader: (0)

Not as good as others' close-ups, but here a Monarch on one of our alliums.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 4
Itsed651383.00
Terry989328.50
Ickdeep4691.00

      09-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #12340
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Itsed65's Avatar
1383
Rep
3,288
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

Almost Harvest Time
Zin before it is Zin

Almost Harvest Time by lennycarl08, on Flickr
Appreciate 4
Terry989328.50
Ickdeep4691.00
P1et6572.50

      09-01-2019, 10:41 PM   #12341
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1204
Rep
7,403
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Another bee. This time I used f/16, instead of f/8, and got much more DOF. Of course, I needed to move ISO up to 6400, but DxO PRIME NR cleans up the noise very well:

Another Honey Bee by David Stephens, on Flickr

Even at that small aperture, I think that the DOF is less than 1/4-inch.
__________________
Appreciate 2
Terry989328.50
Ickdeep4691.00

      09-02-2019, 11:04 PM   #12342
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Itsed65's Avatar
1383
Rep
3,288
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

This is what I got the 200-600 for

Gray Ghost 5 by lennycarl08, on Flickr
Appreciate 4
Terry989328.50
M_Six4132.50
Ickdeep4691.00
xander_g761.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST