BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #1
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

were you ever surprised to get something back that was lost?

I was at the gym and as luck would have it, rushed home to see the hockey game. Too many things in my pocket, headphones, wallet, keys, blah blah blah, and I have the key tags on a separate keychain, with a tag for another gym that definitely charges for replacement, stupidly with a fob for work. Yep, get home, can't find it. So to retrace, I go to the original parking space, then need to park, wait 3 hours for this lady to back out, it's like she went even more slowly knowing I was waiting for the space.

Walk along the front, lobby, back to daycare (I walked all over inside the play area), finally to the front desk.

"Any chance someone turned in a keychain with tags?"

"Yep. Name?"

She goes into one of those plastic rubbermaid file boxes and hands me the keychain.

"Oh, and by the way, we don't have pictures of Liam and Elsa in our system, so next time you're here we need to take their pictures."

"Ok, sure, thanks!"

I'm thinking what did my wife do, add the au pair and her brother as our kids? lol

I suppose the tags are not really worth anything, but the inconvenience they saved me was sweet. I believe in humanity again!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

My virginity.

Just kidding. I have had a phone fall from my pocket and returned to me once found, which was more than I had been hoping for.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Had my wallet turned into the gas station where I dropped it without a single thing taken out of it.

Just a couple of months ago I was bombing down the highway and flipped the sun visor down, my vehicle registration card goes flying out the window at 70mph. I went back to look for it but it was gone. Two weeks later it shows up in my mailbox with a post mark on it. Someone found it and mailed it back to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

We're really stretching it with these OT topics...
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
party pooper
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
party pooper
I came in here thinking it would be a long lost family heirloom that he found 30 years at a garage sale in Wisconsin. But he forgot his keys at the gym and went back to get them. Fuksake...
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
:
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

I found some quarters and a lighter in the dryer yesterday when I was doing some laundry.

Had it not been for those precious quarters, I would have had to use my card for a $1.23 cup of coffee this morning.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

I had a gopro camera fall off a friends car while we were filming some stupid vids. It was my camera but he was using some sort of cheap ebay suction mount and a car behind us some how managed to see it fall off, picked it up and followed us to a pizza joint down the road. Got to the pizza place and my buddy goes out to pull the camera off the mount and boom... not there! After a moment of hysteria we see a car pull up right behind us.

The guy was just like "hey! this fell off your car!" and handed back a beat to hell gopro. The case was absolutely wrecked but the camera was fine. Probably pure luck and I offered to buy the guy a pie but he kindly declined then left. Many thanks to him though.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
party pooper
Reminds me of a Cheech and Chong flick where a girl breaks her nail.

Some people act so jacked up on the internet, but I bet the are made to be humble in real life.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
I had a gopro camera fall off a friends car while we were filming some stupid vids. It was my camera but he was using some sort of cheap ebay suction mount and a car behind us some how managed to see it fall off, picked it up and followed us to a pizza joint down the road. Got to the pizza place and my buddy goes out to pull the camera off the mount and boom... not there! After a moment of hysteria we see a car pull up right behind us.

The guy was just like "hey! this fell off your car!" and handed back a beat to hell gopro. The case was absolutely wrecked but the camera was fine. Probably pure luck and I offered to buy the guy a pie but he kindly declined then left. Many thanks to him though.
haha I just thought of something, with that SI swimsuit model that I was dating (the one whose pics are in my attic), we once stopped I think it's in Whitehall, NY, on the way to VT where she lived. She had a coin purse that had about $10 in quarters that she a) left on the roof b) did not zip up, and they went flying when I turned left.

We were 25 and 23 respectively, and needless to say, $10 was a lot of money to us (and now we drive 50k cars, go figure)

It was like a game of frogger trying to get as many quarters as we could...
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #12
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

My license plate broke at the screw tabs and flew off my motorcycle at 6am on my way to work. Some guy yelled at me saying "BRO, YUR PLATE JUST FLEW OFF!". So I turned around to go find it.

If only I could find that plate...., out there all alone. Registering this new one is an extra $200. Damn.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

My wallet fell out of my pocket at one of the freshman lecture halls in college. I expected never to see my wallet again. A fellow student found me by my ID in the wallet and returned it to me with everything intact.

I recently had my cell phone stolen in Chicago while attending a company conference. The dirtbag sold my phone less than 24 hours after I had found it missing on Craig's List. At the same time, the dirtbag was selling my phone, I was in a Sprint store getting a new S6 because I was resigned to never seeing my phone again. Well a week later, I get a call from a Sprint store in Illinois saying they have my phone. The person who bought my phone thought he was buying a legitimate phone as he checked with Sprint prior to buying it. Apparently, this scumbag knew it would take some time for my lost/stolen report to fully show up on Sprint's systems. The guy at the Sprint store confiscated the phone as asked me if I wanted it back. I told him of course and he shipped it back to me. The phone was wiped and the micro SD card along with the case I had on it were also missing.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

OK, I have a good one for everyone. I will try and keep it short because it gets complicated.

So a few years ago I bought some new 19's for my Audi. Usually I keep the car in my garage, but my garage was being worked on so I had to leave the car outside. It was in the driveway with the passenger side about 6in from a fence. One week after I put them on the car, I come out to my car to leave for work at 6:30 am. It was late October so it was dark out and the nose was sticking out just past the edge of the driveway. As I got closer I looked and thought that the car seemed really low, I didn't think much of it, but as I turned into the driveway to my surprise the wheels were gone and the car was on blocks. I was in shock. By no means do I live in the best area, but I certainly never thought this might happen. I literally slapped and pinched myself because I thought it might be a dream. What really shocked me was the fact that the car was parked so close to the fence and they got the 8.5in wide wheels off when the car was 6in from the fence. And it was still 6in from the fence on the blocks.
As I had to leave for work, I took my other car and had wife call the police. When I got home from work I put my OEM wheels back on and figured I would never see them again. A few months later I picked up another set of wheels and just chalked it up to whatever.
So here is where the story really gets interesting. I run a body shop as some of you may know, so I was at a local BMW dealer picking up some parts and I happen to drive down an isle in the parking lot that normally I wouldn't but the other lane was blocked. As I make the turn I see an B6 S4 with the same rims that were stolen from me. Now I didn't think that they were mine I just wanted to check them out. As I pull closer I see that the tires are the exact same make, model and size as the ones I had on my rims. Still not that uncommon. Until I looked that the valve stems. Normally most people would not give a second thought to them, but I bought very specific ones that were different from most I have seen and these wheels had them. The finally, in the one week that I had the wheels on the car, I parked the car in a parking garage in NYC and the valet put a small curb mark on one of the wheels. And there was that exact same curb mark on the wheel of this car as well. So at this point I am freaking out because I am basically 100% sure that these are my wheel, how freaking crazy. I have a friend that is a local police officer so I called him and gave him the low down on the situation. I gave him the plates off the car and he ran them, needless to say that the owner of this car is quite familiar with the penal system. So my friend asked me if I was sure that they were my wheels and if I wanted him to go arrest the guy. Just to make sure before I upended this guys day, I went back down to where I saw the car and made sure. Yup they were definitely mine. So I called my friend again to confirm. He then notified the detective who called me to go over everything and asked if I would come down to the station to answer some more questions. I agreed and then I got a call from my friend saying that he went down there arrested the owner. Crazy.
So after work I go to the station and I see the detective. His car was already there and was impounded. Right off the bat the detective tells me that the guy admitted to buying the wheels "off the back of a truck." So he was arrested for possession of stolen goods. I told them that I had receipts for everything but they didn't even want them, they said that my story was solid enough and the guy had a few priors and admitting to buying them illegally was enough for them. Then the detective told me that I should be able to get the wheels back after everything makes it through the system, but that it could take a few months. I told him it wasn't an issue. All the detectives kept coming up to me and saying that they have never heard such a crazy story and that they never get these guys, so that was pretty cool.
A few months go by and I get a call from the detective telling me where and when I can go pick up my wheels. So I went and got them. At this point I had no real use for them, so I sold them to a guy on the Audi forum for a great deal.

Appreciate 1
      10-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #15
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

My sense of humor. Found it after the divorce.
Appreciate 3
      10-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #16
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin View Post
My virginity.

Just kidding. I have had a phone fall from my pocket and returned to me once found, which was more than I had been hoping for.
Erroneous!! Everyone knows you're still a virgin.
      10-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #17
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Erroneous!! Everyone knows you're still a virgin.
Only because I got it back!! I didn't even have to pay that much money to get someone to take it, either - I'm that desirable.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #18
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

In college, my roommate came home and said he found a wallet in the parking lot at school. So we go through this wallet, which had basically nothing in it. From his student ID, we looked him up on the university directory and were able to get in contact with his mother. After an awkward conversation with her, we got the owner to call us. Gave him our address and he showed up to collect it. The guy was really thankful. I'm sure he never expected to see it again.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #19
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin View Post
Only because I got it back!! I didn't even have to pay that much money to get someone to take it, either - I'm that desirable.
Can confirm, only cost her $5 and a pile of bacon. 10/10, would do business again.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Lost my ti85 during my freshman year. University police called me on my last year of school and said my folder containing school ID +papers +calculator was in the lost and found locker. They were cleaning out lost and found lockers to make more room.

For 2 years, I thought it was totally lost. If they called me on my first day, it would have been so much better.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #21
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I was surprised when I DIDN'T get something back. Up at the cabin, in the snow. We are headed to town and I put my insulin kit, basically a black shaving kit, on top of the car.
LA LA La La La, get to the bottom of the hill 20 minutes later for lunch, I need to check my blood and take a shot. Oh SHITE!!!! Drove al the way back up the mountain, looking on the side of the rode. Got out the ATV and drove the 2 miles to the exit of the cabin area. A freaking black shaving kit should be totally visible on white snow, even if it had been run over.
The hospital stay that induced was a major pain, as well as getting my Dr. to call in a new prescription at the local pharmacy.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #22
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
haha I just thought of something, with that SI swimsuit model that I was dating (the one whose pics are in my attic), we once stopped I think it's in Whitehall, NY, on the way to VT where she lived. She had a coin purse that had about $10 in quarters that she a) left on the roof b) did not zip up, and they went flying when I turned left.

We were 25 and 23 respectively, and needless to say, $10 was a lot of money to us (and now we drive 50k cars, go figure)

It was like a game of frogger trying to get as many quarters as we could...
If only you could find the pictures of your imaginary swimsuit model girlfriend...
Appreciate 0