BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: Which A/V Receiver
Yamaha RX-A840 6 27.27%
Marantz SR5010 4 18.18%
Denon AVR-X2200W 9 40.91%
Other 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

10-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #23
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_marinelli View Post
welp I ended up going with none of the above. Bestbuy had the Yamaha A1050 on sale so ended up going that route. Right now it will be a bit overkill with my set up but hopefully next year after our baby is born and we get past all those bills, I will get some proper surround sound speakers.
Well done.
      10-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #24
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
welp I ended up going with none of the above. Bestbuy had the Yamaha A1050 on sale so ended up going that route. Right now it will be a bit overkill with my set up but hopefully next year after our baby is born and we get past all those bills, I will get some proper surround sound speakers.
well fuck. no denon buddies. i'm not sure how i feel now.
      10-16-2015, 11:56 PM   #25
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

I'm late to chiming in..but what I was going to say is I think it is more important the speakers you use. All of the receivers mentioned are good quality but the matching of speakers makes the most importance in the sound.
      10-17-2015, 05:36 AM   #26
j_marinelli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I'm late to chiming in..but what I was going to say is I think it is more important the speakers you use. All of the receivers mentioned are good quality but the matching of speakers makes the most importance in the sound.
I agree 100%

Right now its over kill. I have a definitive technology sound bar and sub. I plan on making the jump to a 5 speaker set up next year. Im sure I will start a thread on that in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #27
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
      10-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #28
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I had a mid to low end Yamaha that burned up after about 3 years. Probably just a fluke as I have a yamaha soundbar and its been a rock.

I replaced it with a mid to high end Denon and it has been pretty good. Every once in a while i have to double power cycle it to get the HDMI out to work.

If I were in the market today I would buy either brand. I would base my decision more on sound quality to me, features, and my price range. Both are quality brands.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #29
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
I agree 100%

Right now its over kill. I have a definitive technology sound bar and sub. I plan on making the jump to a 5 speaker set up next year. Im sure I will start a thread on that in the future.
I have a definitive tech. sub as well. Great unit. Before I had a Klipsh but it went out and then an Onkyo which was mediocre. Until you make that jump to at least left and right speakers you really wont get the true audio performance. Nowadays, small speakers of high quality really put out great sound.
      10-17-2015, 11:11 PM   #30
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
I agree 100%

While speaker choice is obviously important, I've read many times in the past that the combination of particular power and speaker is very crucial to a critical ear. Not just because I happen to have a Denon/Def Tech setup, but I have heard before that Denon and Def Tech are a very good combination. My Denon receiver is great. It's been around for a while now, but it's still up to date enough that it makes no sense to replace it until these companies step up their game with true GUI home network integration.

With that said I know you've made your choice and there is little doubt you'll have anything but praise for that unit. I just took another look and it's very very nice. You definitely need to get a proper 5.1 system set up with that receiver. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #31
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
While speaker choice is obviously important, I've read many times in the past that the combination of particular power and speaker is very crucial to a critical ear. Not just because I happen to have a Denon/Def Tech setup, but I have heard before that Denon and Def Tech are a very good combination. My Denon receiver is great. It's been around for a while now, but it's still up to date enough that it makes no sense to replace it until these companies step up their game with true GUI home network integration.

With that said I know you've made your choice and there is little doubt you'll have anything but praise for that unit. I just took another look and it's very very nice. You definitely need to get a proper 5.1 system set up with that receiver. Good luck!
The reason why speaker and receiver selection is important is many times due to the amplification in the receiver. Some speakers are very hard loads to drive because of the impedance dips in the speaker over certain frequency ranges. Because of the impedance dips which can drop below 4 Ohms, the amp in a receiver will have to supply more current than it is designed to do. I have not seen receiver amps that can drive loads lower than 4 Ohms and certainly most receiver amps won't be able to drive loads lower than 6. That's why many audio enthusiasts go for separates.

An example of a speaker which was notorious for being an amp killer even many dedicated separate amps was Apogee speakers. These things dropped down to 2 Ohms and brought even the mightiest amp to its knees. Only amps like those from Krell had the ability to drive those speakers especially when you can short the output of the amp and do no harm to it.
Appreciate 0