BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #45
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

what kind of facts did people think they were getting when asking for advice on a visiting city on a car forum
      10-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #46
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
That's the ONLY place I ever went where a legit business (rather high end place) ripped off my credit card info.

The reason I know, is that on business, I use a certain card for dining, a business card for everything else. It was a short trip and so I used the card at only one restaurant. Next thing you know I am getting a call stating they declined a charge in some strange country, did I make that charge....
Off Topic:
I once had charge card info stolen as well. Never figured out how it happened. Just noticed charges for classified ads in a Chicago suburb's newspaper. I travel non-stop almost, however, so there's no telling when (beyond the month in which it happened, and even that's just a guess) or where the info was stolen. The card issuer took care of it, sent me a new card and that was the last I heard a thing about it.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #47
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Miami sucks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #48
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Miami sucks.
what's your favorite city?
      10-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #49
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Miami sucks.
I dunno...I loved it when I was there. Not talking about the city itself, but the weather, water, beaches, people, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #50
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Biggest shock is the sticker price of everything, not to mention the stupid, stupid, stupid US obsession with tipping for everything which is compounded by the compulsory 18% gratuity and then the guilting for "additional tip". What a fucking scam, just pay them a proper wage ffs.
So maybe this explains why the hotel housekeeping staff didn't take the tip I left on the bed for them when I last visited Canada... Lol.

Is there no tipping in Canada? What about restaurants?
      10-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #51
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
what kind of facts did people think they were getting when asking for advice on a visiting city on a car forum
Feedback was excellent TBH, thread was useful to me as the OP.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #52
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
So maybe this explains why the hotel housekeeping staff didn't take the tip I left on the bed for them when I last visited Canada... Lol.

You tip at restaurants, bars, haircuts and a few other places but that's about it. In the US, fuck me, I literally had to cash out $1 bills, CONSTANTLY tipping.

I am Australian too, and our (correct) opinion on tipping is that it is ridiculous and we loathe it with a passion. Just pay the man ffs, why am I supposed to an instant performance review of your staff?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #53
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Feedback was excellent TBH, thread was useful to me as the OP.
there was terrible information if you paid $700 a night at SLS, that is insane, you could have rented a house for the weekend for that much
      10-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #54
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You tip at restaurants, bars, haircuts and a few other places but that's about it. In the US, fuck me, I literally had to cash out $1 bills, CONSTANTLY tipping.

I am Australian too, and our (correct) opinion on tipping is that it is ridiculous and we loathe it with a passion. Just pay the man ffs, why am I supposed to an instant performance review of your staff?
Well, restaurant staff could be paid more but then those ridiculous prices you noted would be even higher. Other than restaurants, bars and valet parking where were you tipping?
      10-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #55
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
there was terrible information if you paid $700 a night at SLS, that is insane, you could have rented a house for the weekend for that much
i didn't stay there and that's in CDN dollars with ocean facing balcony. I also do all-in, not north American speak where people quote prices excluding taxes, fees and other BS.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #56
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well, restaurant staff could be paid more but then those ridiculous prices you noted would be even higher. Other than restaurants, bars and valet parking where were you tipping?
Guy that repaired the door in our room, guy that sets up the umbrellas (why can't i do this myself??), towel guy, bus tour guy, bags guy ..... IT NEVER ENDS. Plus the 18% forced tip and guilting on further tipping at restaurants.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #57
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Guy that repaired the door in our room, guy that sets up the umbrellas (why can't i do this myself??), towel guy, bus tour guy, bags guy ..... IT NEVER ENDS. Plus the 18% forced tip and guilting on further tipping at restaurants.
They got you pretty good... I'd tip the bag guy out of that list but that's probably it. Definitely never tipped a repairman in a hotel. Also, if they add 18% to my bill for tip, they get 18% and no more unless someone did some really exceptional. If there is space for additional tip I typically draw a line through it.
      10-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #58
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

But that's my point, why am i guessing, why do i have to go through this?? Just charge me what it costs and be done with it. It's utterly pointless.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #59
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

That 18% shit is a miami beach thing. You don't get that at 99% of places in south florida outside of miami beach. Maybe it's because of all the tourist not tipping I dunno.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 04:40 PM   #60
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps
That 18% shit is a miami beach thing. You don't get that at 99% of places in south florida outside of miami beach. Maybe it's because of all the tourist not tipping I dunno.
Agreed. I've seen it for large parties elsewhere but that's about it.
      10-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #61
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
When I first moved here back in summer 2013 we went to all the tourist area's. Then after getting to know our area (Kendall near Dadeland Mall), meeting new friends, etc... we began to go out to local bars, restaurants and things of the like. We only go to South Beach area to go biking around South Point Park which has great scenic views, however, other than that we stay away from all tourist areas. For the beach we'll hit up Las Olas in Ft Lauderdale as its more family friendly IMHO and less crowded than South Beach.

As for the hotels, yeah on South Beach they can be pricey as I pay lots of them for our clients to stay and my eye pops out when I see breakfast rates at $55/per person.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #62
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I've been in South Florida since 1986 and go to Miami Beach once / year (maybe) - for the Miami International Auto Show (which is coming up). I don't recall the last time I was there for anything else. South Beach was nice to be around in my early 20's but not so much in my late 40s. I get why people visit and that's exactly why it's so expensive. People line up to pay it. Personally, as a local, there are plenty of other places I'd rather be but what was OP going to do? His wife wanted to go to South Beach. So he did what he had to do.
      10-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #63
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
As for the hotels, yeah on South Beach they can be pricey as I pay lots of them for our clients to stay and my eye pops out when I see breakfast rates at $55/per person.
But it ain't $55. In typical north american style, and i have no fucking idea why, you piece out the cost of things and only list a portion of it. I know you're used to it but it's fucking asinine. That $55 is really $55 plus tax and tip, so closer to what, $70 at least.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 12:45 AM   #64
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
But it ain't $55. In typical north american style, and i have no fucking idea why, you piece out the cost of things and only list a portion of it. I know you're used to it but it's fucking asinine. That $55 is really $55 plus tax and tip, so closer to what, $70 at least.
Off Topic:
In U.S. there are two types of tax that can apply to goods: sales taxes and excise taxes. The former are, in many states, legally required not to be included in the price tags in order to make it obvious to consumers that they are paying a sales tax. The remainder of states, the businesses in them have no vested interest in including sales tax (assuming it's levied) because doing so would only make the goods appear to be priced higher when what affects the total price being higher is the sales tax.

The latter are almost always included in the price of the item. Many people don't realize they are even paying the excise tax. Excise taxes are a meaningful share of the price of items such as gasoline, alcohol and tobacco products. One type of excise tax that isn't included in the price of an item is the titling tax on vehicle purchases.

To consumers the two types of tax may seem like the they are the same things, particularly if they (1) are rate-based, (2) share a rate and (3) the rate is publicized; however, they are not. Excise taxes don't have to be rate based at all; they can be a fixed (for a given time period) sum (a fee, if you will) levied against every good of a given class. Also, they are levied against owners, producers and sellers whereas sales taxes are levied against consumers.

Take the excise tax on cars bought/sold in Maryland, for example. The burden of paying it falls on the title owner, who, in most cases, is also the buyer, but it doesn't have to be. (I bought my kids' cars, but they are the title holders. It would technically be their burden to pay the titling tax; however, I would also pay it on their behalf if I lived in MD.) It looks like a sales tax because it's set at 6% of the "book value" (which, for used cars, isn't what accountants define as "book value") or 6% of the "purchase price," and 6% is also MD's sales tax rate, but the reality is that there is no sales tax on cars in MD. In D.C., however, the excise tax on cars is based on vehicle weight rather than selling price. Even for D.C., however, if one reads the tax code, one sees that the tax is levied against the issuance of the title, not the sale or gifting of the vehicle, thus making the tax an excise, not sales, tax.

When does the difference matter? It matters when individuals and businesses calculate their income taxes and the related deductions. Some jurisdictions may allow income deductions for excise taxes paid (rarely -- sometimes property (excise) taxes can be deducted), others for sales taxes paid, others for neither, and others for both.

So, while understanding the differences is generally in the purview of accountants and legislators, the differences are important. Governments generally like excise taxes because they aren't as apparent to consumers and because they are generally less avoidable. Consumers generally don't like any form of tax, but if they are going to have to pay them, they generally prefer to be aware of them and their extent.

Of course, some consumers would prefer that the tax be shown in the "sticker price" of an item, often just to avoid having to "do the math." Doing that, while nice in theory, would present something of a problem for sellers who are willing to negotiate on the prices of the goods they sell and given the way point of sale systems and accounting systems work in U.S. may for some businesses require reconfiguring/reprogramming their software routines. The fact is that folks will find something to gripe about no matter which way the "system" works re: showing or not showing the taxes being paid as part of any given transaction.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #65
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
what's your favorite city?
Tokyo.
Appreciate 0