BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

09-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

An uncommon Panerai

I'm not among the Paneristi, but I like some Panerai watches, mostly the vintage ones. One of the vintage, novelty Panerai that I think is pretty cool is the Egiziano (Egyptian). I think it's nifty because one it's not a cushion design and because it was made for the Egyptian Navy, thus making it true to Panerai form, a legitimate military watch.

Another unit in the series of the watch above recently sold earlier this summer at Christie's (http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/w...jectid=5911244)

According to Christie's:
Following a request of Commander Fawzi of the Egyptian Navy who attended the Commando School of the Italian Navy, Panerai developed the legendary reference GPF 2/56, its internal code derived from the number of its project, and its year. Guido Panerai e Figlio designed and produced this new watch, and Captain Fawzi went to Florence several times during the design phase to agree details of their specific needs for the watch with the technical team. The present watch is of the first GPF 2/56s as it has a Radiomir dial with Radiomir written under 12 o'clock and Panerai above 6 o'clock. The later examples have Luminor dials with the relevant writing on them.

Nicknamed the Egiziano (Italian for Egyptian) this model is the largest of all Panerai wristwatches ever made with an impressive diameter of 58 mm. It furthermore features a revolving bezel graduated for 5 minutes, the inclusion at the specific request of the Egyptian navy. Most notably it was fitted with the well-known Angelus 8-days movement which already found use in a small number of reference 6152. Interestingly, the movement is stamped 12.55, the date for which the movement was made, December, 1955. Panerai used Angelus movements from 1956 onwards. Other features include a single screw between the lugs and the satin finishing on the case.

Regrettably, no documentation survived in regards to the precise number of Egiziano produced. Scholarship however stipulates that no more than 50 watches were supplied to the Egyptian Forces and that few other examples were made as prototypes.
As you can see from the photos below, it is a big watch.

For folks who are into contemporary re-releases of vintage pieces, Panerai did about five years ago offer one. I suspect one may be available from a seller having a Chrono24 or Antiquorum listing.

All the best.

P.S.
I can't explain the tarnishing on the hands of the watches shown in the wrist pics. Panerai crafted the hands on the vintage models from gold. Also, as a non-Paneristi, I made no effort to confirm the variations shown in bezel screws. I think the watch is cool, but I don't want one, so digging to that level of detail for a vintage watch I don't want isn't something I'll do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Great post Tony. Gorgeous watch!

The face reminds me of my PAM 590, but it's a lot fancier.
Attached Images