BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

06-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #1
nasu
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 335is Cabrio

Battery Drain - All Fuses Out , still drain

Hi guys,

2010 535xi, all fuses out from the rear and front panel, relays, wire harness plugs and still draining .140 to .280mA where it should be below .50mA.

What else should I do ? My last parts to remove and test would be:
1. DME computer harnesses
2. Starter
3. Alternator

Interesting enough when I pull the positive thick wire from the battery that goes into the rear fuse panel everything goes to 0.00 draw. Is that right ? what does it really mean ?
Where does the other positive wire go ? There is another red wire from the rear fuse panel that goes to the front I believe but I didn't see a way to disconnect it, even after removing that plastic white cover..some of weird screw...

Please help as I am not very familiar with going this car and my first power drain and it`s very bad .. I been delaying this it for too long.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
nasu
Private
Rep

Removed the DME and it's still the same thing.
Disconnected the positive cable from the front jump start terminal which I believe goes to either the starter or the alternator but again it doesn't seem to do anything.

At this point I expect the Power Distribution module in the rear with all the fuses.. how can I test to confirm ? Remove all the fuses from the rear , connectors I guess right ? There is a red cable in there with some special cover ..how do I remove that and where does it go ?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
nasu
Private
Rep

Any idea guys ? I also checked and disconnect all the front (passenger glove box fuses, forgot to mentioned in the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Vs3PhujwQ
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
nasu
Private
Rep

I did remove the positive cable from the front jump post ( starter part )which also cuts power from the alternator and it's still 250 mA draw
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:07 PM   #5
nasu
Private
Rep

Thanks everyone, it's fixed. Someone tapped into that red power wire and found it , remove it , unfortunately I started from the front and removed the chair and a lot of other things. I measured resistance with ground and it was high about 7.5 ohms, way to high. Thanks everyone for helping out with this, feels so great even tho I spend 20 + hours I saved big bucks and learned a lot. Sorry for my "french" I was very pissed off to find it there...

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 12:30 AM   #6
M1969
Registered
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d e61 2006

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasu View Post
Thanks everyone, it's fixed. Someone tapped into that red power wire and found it , remove it , unfortunately I started from the front and removed the chair and a lot of other things. I measured resistance with ground and it was high about 7.5 ohms, way to high. Thanks everyone for helping out with this, feels so great even tho I spend 20 + hours I saved big bucks and learned a lot. Sorry for my "french" I was very pissed off to find it there...

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #7
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasu View Post

That's why screwing with BMW electrical systems is always a bad idea! Never worth the headaches it can cause.
Appreciate 0