BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #23
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djDori_C View Post
Like above poster said, proximity to and from is an important factor as well, could wash out the difference in that 7k. You know the old job, and you're happy there... Seems like a no brainer to me.
Don't wanna sound cliche but "the grass isn't always greener on the other side"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
$7k "loss" to work in an area that is more comfortable with better management and more opportunity for advancement?

Assuming the $7k is a <10% loss then of course, I would leave in a heart beat. (given they were similarly distanced from my place of residence and provided similar benefits packages)
The commute is just about the same distance for both, but my current job involves multiple congested highways, which is annoying in itself. Also, I'm lucky to work from home once every month or so here, whereas, I'd be guaranteed at least one work from home day per week at my old spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Friese View Post
The only thing I might be worried about is the fact that you are changing jobs in such a short time. Maybe some of the HR / recruiter people on here can speak further on that though.

Outside of that, I would say go for it.
This was one of my main worries too, but I have some friends in the recruiting industry who said that as long as I don't make a habit of hopping around, I should be fine. I welcome others opinions on this too though.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 08:12 AM   #24
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
This was one of my main worries too, but I have some friends in the recruiting industry who said that as long as I don't make a habit of hopping around, I should be fine. I welcome others opinions on this too though.
It only matters if you plan on getting a new job in the near future. If you plan on going back and staying with your old employer, then the hopping back and forth won't matter.
      12-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #25
Pig_in_Soup
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Quality of life is a big factor in a persons career. I work for a major state university in IT. I could certainly make more if I worked in corporate, but my wife (who's a professor and works at the same university) and I decided it was worth the trade off in income to work in an environment that we enjoy and is supportive, that has excellent benefits and generous time off and flex schedules.

Work environment is a huge factor in QoL. I've worked in places where your contribution wasn't valued and there was no support from your immediate management. There's a huge amount of latent stress built into that type of thing. The department I'm in now is the complete opposite and the feeling of not always having a target on your back is a huge plus across the board.

Last edited by Pig_in_Soup; 12-08-2015 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #26
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I spent the first half of my career in consumer electronics, retail sales and service. Same firm for 23 years. Multi-roll; electronics technician and sales.

Next, I spent the last half of my career at a university as a technician. I guess I got lucky, but the crew I worked with were great. We got along well, shared information and talents, cross-trained and generally had a good time. I'd take this over an increase in pay at a job I disliked. Any day. My health, including mental health, trumps money.

I've been happily retired for 4 years and I still keep in touch with my former co-workers. I think that says it all.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #27
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Great stuff here gents, this has really helped a lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #28
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Great stuff here gents, this has really helped a lot.
      12-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #29
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

Quote:
The only thing I might be worried about is the fact that you are changing jobs in such a short time. Maybe some of the HR / recruiter people on here can speak further on that though.

Outside of that, I would say go for it.
I wouldn't worry too much about this. You've shown that you were committed longer term at this job, moved and weren't a good fit, then moved back. I don't think you'd have any trouble talking through that in a future interview.
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2015, 10:58 PM   #30
Rich150001
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Your employers owns your job, but you own your career. I'd say stick with your gut and go with your previous job, since that is what you think is best for you.

Me personally, I would not chase the money (to an extent), but rather, choose the job of which I most enjoy while also keeping an open mind for any better opportunities that may be out there.
      12-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #31
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about this. You've shown that you were committed longer term at this job, moved and weren't a good fit, then moved back. I don't think you'd have any trouble talking through that in a future interview.
Thanks, I was kind of hoping that would be the case there.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #32
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
in CT that's more like 6.5k
In Canada it's like $4.5K
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #33
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

I didn't read the entire thread, but here is my humble opinion...
If the only reason you left your old job is money, I don't see an issue with going back.

Be honest with yourself tho, remember the days coming up to your resignation, were you happy with the company? ~ you get the picture...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 04:43 PM   #34
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

who knows. former job laid people off because they could not afford most.
there are some companies who calls laborers back, when economy picks up.
      12-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #35
Mr Friese
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdre View Post
If the only reason you left your old job is money, I don't see an issue with going back.

Be honest with yourself tho, remember the days coming up to your resignation, were you happy with the company? ~ you get the picture...
Agreed - Go back, you'll be happier.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #36
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdre View Post

Quote:
Agreed - Go back, you'll be happier.
Yeah that was pretty much my sole reason, I had my 2nd child on the way, so the potential increase was just way too much to pass up. Had they countered back then with the offer they made me now, then I would have just stayed.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #37
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
I would much rather work at a job I liked for less money than a job that paid really well but did not challenge me, or I hated going to.

Money is nice, but not everything. Sounds like your opportunity is the ideal situation, it sounds like you are not groveling for your old job back, but have been offered in incentive to return.

Go for it!

B.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #38
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that was pretty much my sole reason, I had my 2nd child on the way, so the potential increase was just way too much to pass up. Had they countered back then with the offer they made me now, then I would have just stayed.
You and i were in similar situation. The difference between us is that you have a wife and kid(s).

In my case, i went after the money and didn't care about stress and boredom. If i had a family like you then i'll definitely go for happier less stress environment.
      12-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #39
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
I wold take 60% paycut for:
Less hours
Short (5minutes) commute.
No bullshits.
Time to browse Internet like people here during work hours.

20 minutes were most time I've ever had time to browse Internet during 12hr perday at work when. I had a job.
I guess I did something right in my past life.
lets see; I work in IT btw
Short commute
good pay
no bs
awesome hours
boss is laid back and miles away
no one looking over my shoulder
pretty much run my own shop
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #40
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
I would much rather work at a job I liked for less money than a job that paid really well but did not challenge me, or I hated going to.

Money is nice, but not everything. Sounds like your opportunity is the ideal situation, it sounds like you are not groveling for your old job back, but have been offered in incentive to return.

Go for it!

B.
This is true but not necessarily true for younger people (35yrs or less). In my opinion, i would like to think that my younger years are the time to rake in as much money as i can. When i get older, i'd like to stop caring so much about money and enjoying the work i do.
      12-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #41
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

people do this in my industry all the time. It's called "advancing horizontally". Basically they go across the street to work for the competitor for a year or two, then come back here making more money than they did before.

If you like your old place of work better and you get more money than you did before (even if it's less than the "new" job), go for it. $7k a year isn't really all that much.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #42
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
My old job, small private company of about 70 employees. I was a Software engineer working on medical devices.
Did the company you used to work for get acquired by dell, by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #43
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Did the company you used to work for get acquired by dell, by any chance?
Not that i know of. I left there in the first week of September. It was still owned by the private owner and his dad.
      12-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #44
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is
Sorry, just to expand a bit:

-Working in the IT field, in my 30's, married with two kids.

-Previous company was in the software industry, current company is medical (I've also realized that IT in a non-IT company is far different..)

-Salary hovering in the 90k range

-Old company is HUGE with pretty much infinite means to advance, while current company is limited in that regard (at least in IT).
There are a ton of variables at play. But based on what I know and what I have experienced in my career in IT here is what I say...

I have found working for an IT company doing IT work was a million times better than working for a nonIT company doing IT. The number one reason why is because at a nonIT company IT is looked at as a cost center.

The nonIT company I worked for was an excellent company overall. They make the 'best places to work list'. I was there 12 years. No complaints.

I just absolutely love where I am now. Doing tech at one of the top tech companies in the world is immensely rewarding.

If you enjoyed what you did at your old place, and you feel there is still room for you to grow your skills there then go back. However, don't loose sight of even better opportunities that may exist above and beyond both places. Never sell yourself short. And absolutely do not do it with salary being the paramount reason. $7-15k in this field is nothing.

Best of luck! Being in IT is great as there are a great many options out there!