BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-19-2022, 01:06 PM   #1
PilotTris
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D Sport

Moving to the UK from Channel Islands

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here and I have tried to gain information from other sources on this question and struggling to find a clear answer, so here I am and what a nice place this is, to share all things BMW!

I have a really nice BMW 118D Sport Automatic, Diesel, 5-Door car which I’ve had for 3 years now and although I am originally from the UK, I moved to reside in Guernsey in the Channel Islands over 5 years ago. I had an old 1 series that I sold here and then bought my current car second-hand over here in Guernsey. It is still registered and number plated in Guernsey, but, I am looking to move away from the island in the near future and go back to the UK. I would ideally like to take my car along with me to the UK to then sell, as I feel I will get a better price for this in the UK than here in Guernsey.

I have read and seen that to do this you need to register and tell customs, and also possibly pay VAT/Duty on the vehicle? Is this correct? I believe I would then need to register and tax the vehicle, but unfortunately I don't really know where to start. I thankfully am not moving quite yet but I would hope in the next 6-12 months I will be and therefore would like to understand the process prior to moving so that it is simple and straight forward. Ideally I would also like to do it before I move too so it's one less thing to worry about.

Could someone please give me a step by step guide as to the various things I need to look out for on this, to ensure everything is done properly. I don’t really want to start speaking directly with the DVLA just yet, or I’m just going to open a can of worms. For now, I’d just like to get an idea and rough costings of what is involved to take my car from Guernsey to the UK permanently.

This would be really appreciated and apologies for the detailed post for my first post! Here's the car:

Thanks,
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7833.00
M3 boi3211.00
      09-20-2022, 06:27 AM   #2
PilotTris
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D Sport

Is anyone able to help at all please? Apologies to bump this topic...
Appreciate 0