BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-27-2022, 11:28 PM   #23
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Welcome to the 21st century!

With reports of restaurant/bar employees recording card numbers and using them online and ATM/gas pump magnetic stripe skimmers being placed over legitimate devices to steal your card info, going to an NFC-type point-of-sale payment system seems like a more secure option.

FWIW, I have traveled up and down the east coast twice in the past year paying for almost everything using my Apple Watch and ApplePay. If you have an Apple device and your bank supports it, I'd trust it more than a dedicated banking app as a payment method.....
This
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 06:38 AM   #24
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Short short version: If you're using an iPhone, you're fine.

Short version: Adding a credit card to Apple Wallet to use with Apple Pay is actually safer than using your real cc.

Slightly longer version: As someone else pointed out, there is a concern of how banking apps handle the encryption of traffic, but that's really a 'trust the manufacturer of the app' thing.
Which brings me to Point #2: using a 'defi' or some app outside your financial institution just because it offers linking of your financial accounts for some expected convenience opens you up to risk - of how well they manage their security, and privacy.
Case in point - Paypal offering to quickly verify your banking account if you use their linked service to verify your banking info by asking you to send your login information through their portal setup - rather than just provide routing number, account number. Yeah no, that's not happening.

Just stick to your financial institution app and you're good to go.
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      09-28-2022, 09:43 PM   #25
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
To expand on my above, yes, CCs are pretty much protected and you won't get left holding the bag if you got scammed, but I dunno about you guys, when it happened to me (a handful of times over the years), it was a real PITA, as I had to wait for a new card, figure out if my pre-pays were affected/redo authorizations, can't accumulate pts on that card, etc. So much freaking hassle, so if I can avoid another area of exploitation, I'd do it.

Also, about the above post, aren't our phones more vulnerable than our computers since there are less effective AVs available for the former? I dunno. Anyway, this is still an *additional* pt of attack even if the phone's security is stronger. Maybe an IT expert can chime in.
I use one card for recurring payments and another for everything else. Haven’t had an issue with a compromised card for recurring payments (yet). The one for everything else was compromised last Friday, likely on our ride to NC. Second time this year my “everything else” card was compromised. I called in Saturday and had a new card by Tuesday at our vacation location. I’d prefer not to have dealt with it at all, but all things considered it was only a minor inconvenience.