BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #353
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Edger too close to paint!!!
Rmtt8206.00
UncleWede17872.50
      05-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #354
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
thanks took some time to get it looking good
Don't need any fancy edgers
This is what I use
I confess...I need fancy edgers cause i'm too tired doing manual work lol
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #355
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Edger too close to paint!!!
Its loner from dealer I don't care lol
      05-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #356
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
here are the Autumn Blaze maples I bought last Fall

and here they are blooming!

if anyone knows what kind of tree/shrub this is I have no clue

Sand Cherry

also this one as it attracts lots of bees and butterflys!

here are my lilacs. not sure what variety these are?

Miss Kim is the variety

Marigolds are doing well in the containers we bought last week

these are pretty cool. I forgot what they are called but they almost look fake. very fluffy to the touch Celosia is the name.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 3
      05-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #357
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Hope this helps.
Yes! thank you kindly
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #358
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

A week after miloganite and ironite. Fresh mow today. I didn't notice a huge difference in a week.
Attached Images

05-21-2019, 11:39 PM   #359
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
A week after miloganite and ironite. Fresh now today. I didn't notice a huge difference in a week.
I actually put down Milorganite a couple of weeks ago on a few trouble spots in the front. Didn't notice much after reading so much praise from reviews. But I decided to put down much more since it's guaranteed not to burn. Plus I read where for best results you have to use a lot! So I put it down again heavily right after a soaking rain this past weekend. I'm gonna give it 2 weeks. I took before shots and will post up then....
it is supposed to be like Steroids for the yard including flowers and trees.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 05-22-2019 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      05-21-2019, 11:40 PM   #360
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My yard this year with all rain we been having
These are results not bad
Looks fantastic hermano! Like golf turf!
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2019, 06:34 AM   #361
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

So maybe one of you experts can give me some advice.

I live in the Northern part of South Carolina about 5 minutes away from the NC foothills...specifically Zone 7B on the USDA guide for planting zones.

Grass is basically a cool season tall fescue. Front yard looks great, but all areas of it are exposed to sun and it gets watered.

Back yard is another issue. We have a couple of pretty large Oaks that shade one side of the yard pretty much all the time. On the un-shaded side the grass looks fine. Where the shade is, that is the part I'm having trouble with.

Taking the trees down isn't an option as they provide a nice buffer for all the houses they built behind me and did not leave a barrier of trees between this street like they did on our other streets. Plus the trees provide shade for our 2 Elk Hounds...although they prefer to be in the sun most of the time.

Any suggestions of anything I could get planted and established in that area? I'm not opposed to anything as long as it's green and just gives the ground some cover as we will probably be moving within a year or so anyway because of them developing the street behind us that was once wooded.

Not looking for anything fancy...just something to fill in the areas that are missing so the yard looks a little more normal even if we aren't planning on being here for that much longer.

Thanks!
      05-22-2019, 06:59 AM   #362
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sounds like you may need a more shade tolerant type of grass in the backyard, although I thought fescue was fairly shade tolerant. Is the backyard getting water and any fertilizer?

Have you ever had a certified arborist trim the oaks? We have 2 Live Oaks in our front yard and have an arborist come in every 3-5 years or so to make sure the canopy isn't growing too low or into the house, to remove problematic limbs and to open up the center of the tree for air circulation. It's expensive but the trees are doing really well. It seems most people let them just grow without a lot a thoughtful pruning but they can get thick bunches of branches and leaves that worry me if a hurricane blows through. (Otherwise they hold up really well in a storm as the leaves just blow off.). Just wondering what others do. Maybe thinning them out a bit can let enough light through for the lawn but still provide a nice shade cover?
Rmtt8206.00
      05-22-2019, 06:59 AM   #363
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Everything starting to come in nicely. Have some more I want to do in front but maybe next season
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
roastbeef11571.50
TXSTYLE13653.00
      05-22-2019, 07:29 AM   #364
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
A week after miloganite and ironite. Fresh now today. I didn't notice a huge difference in a week.
Milo is slow releasing so it takes quite awhile to notice but Milo in the lawn community is very good cause it's somewhat organic with it's new formula. Problem is there's such a shortage of it most lawn enthusiasts are looking for different alternatives. I usually put that down early Spring, Memorial Day and 4th of July. This year I decided to go with CarbonX because of its special ingredients I'll post some pictures this afternoon of how dark green the lawn is
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11571.50
TXSTYLE13653.00
      05-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #365
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Sounds like you may need a more shade tolerant type of grass in the backyard, although I thought fescue was fairly shade tolerant. Is the backyard getting water and any fertilizer?

Have you ever had a certified arborist trim the oaks? We have 2 Live Oaks in our front yard and have an arborist come in every 3-5 years or so to make sure the canopy isn't growing too low or into the house, to remove problematic limbs and to open up the center of the tree for air circulation. It's expensive but the trees are doing really well. It seems most people let them just grow without a lot a thoughtful pruning but they can get thick bunches of branches and leaves that worry me if a hurricane blows through. (Otherwise they hold up really well in a storm as the leaves just blow off.). Just wondering what others do. Maybe thinning them out a bit can let enough light through for the lawn but still provide a nice shade cover?

Yeah...we have irrigation and I fertilize it whenever I do the front yard. The arborist suggestion may be the ticket as I do notice the canopy is probably a little lower than it should be. I'm sure they could thin things out while still retaining some shade and the illusion of a boundary between us and the house behind us.
      05-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #366
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Very nice!

Nice sidewalk, too.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #367
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Quote:
Very nice!

Nice sidewalk, too.
Thanks
      05-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #368
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Yeah...we have irrigation and I fertilize it whenever I do the front yard. The arborist suggestion may be the ticket as I do notice the canopy is probably a little lower than it should be. I'm sure they could thin things out while still retaining some shade and the illusion of a boundary between us and the house behind us.
I recommend trying to find someone with an expertise in the type of oak you have. An arborist is far more knowledgeable than a generic tree trimming service. The right person will be able to clean up the tree. However, I think it is typically done in the winter / before spring growth, at least in South Florida, so it may require some waiting for the right time.
Rmtt8206.00
      05-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #369
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Milo is slow releasing so it takes quite awhile to notice but Milo in the lawn community is very good cause it's somewhat organic with it's new formula. Problem is there's such a shortage of it most lawn enthusiasts are looking for different alternatives. I usually put that down early Spring, Memorial Day and 4th of July. This year I decided to go with CarbonX because of its special ingredients I'll post some pictures this afternoon of how dark green the lawn is
I noticed the scarcity of Milo too! Carbon X ehhh.... Tell me more?
      05-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #370
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I might have a 25lb bag of Milo sitting in storage, since water is now a thing of the past. Bidding starts at?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #371
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

FINALLY got the mulch down in the upper/entrance garden after it raining every single weekend. It's nice to not have weedy mud anymore.
Attached Images

05-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #372
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I noticed the scarcity of Milo too! Carbon X ehhh.... Tell me more?

so I replaced my Fertilizer (Milorganite) with the new CarbonX. at least to me I notice a shade darker with the CarbonX than the Milo. even my neighbor said my lawn looks darker this year.

here's what the grass looked like last year using Milorganite

and here's with the new CarbonX

Here's the bags of CarbonX I ordered from "The Lawn Care Nut" here's a link for more info
https://thelawncarenut.com/collectio...oducts/carbonx
Appreciate 3
wrickem2101.00
      05-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #373
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
So maybe one of you experts can give me some advice.

I live in the Northern part of South Carolina about 5 minutes away from the NC foothills...specifically Zone 7B on the USDA guide for planting zones.

Grass is basically a cool season tall fescue. Front yard looks great, but all areas of it are exposed to sun and it gets watered.

Back yard is another issue. We have a couple of pretty large Oaks that shade one side of the yard pretty much all the time. On the un-shaded side the grass looks fine. Where the shade is, that is the part I'm having trouble with.

Taking the trees down isn't an option as they provide a nice buffer for all the houses they built behind me and did not leave a barrier of trees between this street like they did on our other streets. Plus the trees provide shade for our 2 Elk Hounds...although they prefer to be in the sun most of the time.

Any suggestions of anything I could get planted and established in that area? I'm not opposed to anything as long as it's green and just gives the ground some cover as we will probably be moving within a year or so anyway because of them developing the street behind us that was once wooded.

Not looking for anything fancy...just something to fill in the areas that are missing so the yard looks a little more normal even if we aren't planning on being here for that much longer.

Thanks!
so from being very familiar to your situation since I watch so many videos on lawn care lol it's noted that it's pretty hard to get grass to grow in shaded areas especially under trees. without the sunlight the grass won't grow since it can't get photosynthesis. But there are some varieties of tall fescue for shaded areas which you could probably give it a try.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      05-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #374
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I’m sooo jealous over the property some of you guys have. I’m on a 60 X 100 lot which is pretty nice for my area. Most detached houses here are 40 X 100 or smaller where zoning allows. Being in a NYC borough lots of houses are attached (semis) on one side and those can be really small. Lot size was a big factor for me along with location. We moved in a year ago and haven’t done anything outside yet. Inside renovations came first. Need to figure how to put trees along fence line. Pool is too close to property line. Worried about roots breaking into pool.
Appreciate 0