BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-31-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1429
Rep
4,115
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Tile and grout sealant ?

Which product (who makes) the best sealant for bathroom grout and tile ?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
Mr Tonka's Avatar
United_States
5844
Rep
2,299
Posts

Drives: Something Italian
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweatypeninsula

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Which product (who makes) the best sealant for bathroom grout and tile ?
Aqua mix is good stuff.

But remember this is similar to waxing a car. It wears off and you will have to continually re-seal it to get continued protection.
__________________
"There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat"
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic59612_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
978
Rep
6,261
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
We used Mapei.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 2
Mr Tonka5844.00
Aatish3326.00

      01-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Needbmwpartzz's Avatar
765
Rep
2,791
Posts

Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kitchener/Waterloo

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
We used Mapei.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka5844.00

      01-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
David70
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
773
Rep
1,941
Posts

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Aqua mix is good stuff.

But remember this is similar to waxing a car. It wears off and you will have to continually re-seal it to get continued protection.
Agree on both using Aqua Mix and having to continue to redo it occasionally, for our shower area I do it every couple of years.

For porcelain tile the sealer won't make much of any difference and you can stick to the grout.
__________________
2006 Z4M Coupe - Stromung exhaust, ZHP knob, stubby antenna, clutch delay delete
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka5844.00

      01-31-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
IndotagSwizz
Major
IndotagSwizz's Avatar
400
Rep
1,092
Posts

Drives: F30 320i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Try 511 impregnator sealer, I own a Marble & Granite shop and have worked on all kinds of styles of tiles and stones, in my opinion nothing comes close, this is an impregnator sealer meaning its very thin and penetrates the surface by getting inside instead of being a surface sealer, this means you will not have to constantly re-seal because it will not wear out, good luck
__________________
Appreciate 2
Mr Tonka5844.00

      01-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
Mr Tonka's Avatar
United_States
5844
Rep
2,299
Posts

Drives: Something Italian
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweatypeninsula

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Agree on both using Aqua Mix and having to continue to redo it occasionally, for our shower area I do it every couple of years.

For porcelain tile the sealer won't make much of any difference and you can stick to the grout.
Correct, it is useless to seal any glazed floor tile.

If the tile is unglazed porcelain or ceramic, a sealer will do some work. But an impregnator as mentioned above is best for tile applications.

I've heard from suppliers that it's best to just use a grout sealer for sanded grout because it's so porous. The impregnator is much smaller on a molecular level which allows it to impregnate even granite. Because the grout is so porous and impregnators are such a fine liquid, it doesn't seal the grout enough to keep the dirt out.

Best way to keep standard grout looking clean is to not mop the floor. Mopping just pushes the dirt around on the floors and guess where the dirty water settles, the low spots. Guess where the low spots are, the grout lines.

Best performance, upgrade your grout to a urethane based grout. Urethane is non-porous and won't allow dirt to get in the grout. Or you can just put down normal sanded grout and paint it with epoxy grout paint. The application of epoxy grout paint and grout sealer is the same, but the epoxy paint application will last much, much longer.

-Resident BP flooring store owner, 25yrs in. lol


Edit: Mapei makes good products as well.
__________________
"There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat"
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic59612_1.gif
Appreciate 2
RickFLM43716.00
wrickem1136.00

      01-31-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1429
Rep
4,115
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Wow, thanks all for the great info.

This is for verticle shower walls and will only do the grout itself, my tiles are smooth and seem impenetrable.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
Patrick719
Lieutenant
Patrick719's Avatar
United_States
188
Rep
455
Posts

Drives: you crazy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to Patrick719
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
Try 511 impregnator sealer, I own a Marble & Granite shop and have worked on all kinds of styles of tiles and stones, in my opinion nothing comes close, this is an impregnator sealer meaning its very thin and penetrates the surface by getting inside instead of being a surface sealer, this means you will not have to constantly re-seal because it will not wear out, good luck
+1 I use this to clean/protect my granite counters and to seal the grout on my tile floors.
__________________
2013 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige - stage II
2009 Mercedes C300 - the wife's whip
2010 Range Rover Sport Autobiography - sold
2008 335xi Coupe - sold
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #10
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
Mr Tonka's Avatar
United_States
5844
Rep
2,299
Posts

Drives: Something Italian
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweatypeninsula

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Wow, thanks all for the great info.

This is for verticle shower walls and will only do the grout itself, my tiles are smooth and seem impenetrable.
Pretty much like this?



If so, i'm assuming you're using unsanded grout. If not, you need to. Any grout sealer will do fine. You have little to worry about with that application.

Best practice for a shower like that is to leave it open so it can air out as best as possible after each use. If i don't leave my shower door open after each shower, the mildew will creep in quick. Pain in the ass to get rid of. But as long as i keep the door open, it dries out too quickly for the mildew to catch hold.
__________________
"There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat"
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic59612_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 04:18 PM   #11
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1429
Rep
4,115
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Pretty much like this?



If so, i'm assuming you're using unsanded grout. If not, you need to. Any grout sealer will do fine. You have little to worry about with that application.

Best practice for a shower like that is to leave it open so it can air out as best as possible after each use. If i don't leave my shower door open after each shower, the mildew will creep in quick. Pain in the ass to get rid of. But as long as i keep the door open, it dries out too quickly for the mildew to catch hold.

Actually I used sanded grout - I just did the bottom perimeter between the bottom tile and shower pan - the gap was more then 1/8 inch.

You might be able to see what I'm describing in this picture below
Attached Images
 

Last edited by ScottSinger; 01-31-2017 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:10 PM   #12
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
Mr Tonka's Avatar
United_States
5844
Rep
2,299
Posts

Drives: Something Italian
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweatypeninsula

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Actually I used sanded grout - I just did the bottom perimeter between the bottom tile and shower pan - the gap was more then 1/8 inch.

You might be able to see what I'm describing in this picture below
So the walls are prefabbed panels butting up to a prefabbed shower pan and you just filled in the gap between them, where they butt together?
__________________
"There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat"
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic59612_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:15 PM   #13
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
5421
Rep
9,323
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

get a self-sealing grout. 100% worth it.
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike

Last edited by roastbeef; 02-01-2017 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:56 AM   #14
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1429
Rep
4,115
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
So the walls are prefabbed panels butting up to a prefabbed shower pan and you just filled in the gap between them, where they butt together?
No the walls are real tile grouted have the orange Schluter system for moisture barrier behind the tile - just that with usage the acrylic pan settled a little leaving a cracking or gap in a few places of the grout. So I cleaned with a grout knife just the juncture on the three walls and shower pan - tonight will be 72 hours since completed the grout and want to add the sealant.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:59 AM   #15
EL Jeffe 5
Major
EL Jeffe 5's Avatar
United_States
471
Rep
1,008
Posts

Drives: CBR1000RR
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Iowa

iTrader: (0)

Regardless of sealant you use you have to clean and seal every year
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #16
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
Mr Tonka's Avatar
United_States
5844
Rep
2,299
Posts

Drives: Something Italian
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweatypeninsula

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
No the walls are real tile grouted have the orange Schluter system for moisture barrier behind the tile - just that with usage the acrylic pan settled a little leaving a cracking or gap in a few places of the grout. So I cleaned with a grout knife just the juncture on the three walls and shower pan - tonight will be 72 hours since completed the grout and want to add the sealant.
Ok, any of the mentioned sealers will do fine for that application. I'm sure Aqua Mix and Mapei both have youtube channels should you want some more in-depth instruction on how to apply.

__________________
"There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice. -Charles de Secondat"
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic59612_1.gif
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #17
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1429
Rep
4,115
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Thanks all, will seal it this evening.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST