BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #155
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1
I get you on the above post. What you need to realize is Florida is just as much a melting pot of cultures as a NYC. The east coast is predominantly northeasterners from west palm south. The west coast mostly Midwesterners tampa south. Greater miami is mostly hispanic. The northern areas are mostly southerners. Jax to me is lije a part of Georgia, not florida. You just need to find where you fit in and pretty much there's an area for you. Jax would be as different from miami as say San Diego is from Sacramento or NYC from Rochester. Even more so than those examples.
Don't forget the Canadians and their seasonal migration down I75 into Orlando/Tampa.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #156
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
I get you on the above post. What you need to realize is Florida is just as much a melting pot of cultures as a NYC. The east coast is predominantly northeasterners from west palm south. The west coast mostly Midwesterners tampa south. Greater miami is mostly hispanic. The northern areas are mostly southerners. Jax to me is lije a part of Georgia, not florida. You just need to find where you fit in and pretty much there's an area for you. Jax would be as different from miami as say San Diego is from Sacramento or NYC from Rochester. Even more so than those examples.
Not even close. While there are alot of some cultures, definitely not a 'melting pot'.

To prove me point look at the cuisine/food scene. It sucks compared to where I come from, Toronto which is very similar in terms of world class cuisine from all over the world like NYC, you name it you can find it and it will be good food.

You can't even find good Chinese food in FL, much less anything from other parts of Asia. Pretty much only good North America and Latin food here. Everything else is mediocre to crap.

Maybe my standards are too high.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #157
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Not even close. While there are alot of some cultures, definitely not a 'melting pot'.

To prove me point look at the cuisine/food scene. It sucks compared to where I come from, Toronto which is very similar in terms of world class cuisine from all over the world like NYC, you name it you can find it and it will be good food.

You can't even find good Chinese food in FL, much less anything from other parts of Asia. Pretty much only good North America and Latin food here. Everything else is mediocre to crap.

Just the wrong part. I come from nyc. Toronto is also a big city. You can find good anything in orlando and miami. Just gotta know where. Fish, beef, and latino are the best here. But there's still decent chinese, Italian, and mexican if you know where to go. The reason both of those cities have good most food is they're both big tourist destinations. Lots of quality restaurants and many are reasonably priced.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #158
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post

Your standards are not too high. I have the same gripe. I came from D.C. where good food is a given. Down here good food is an anomaly and hard, if not impossible, to find.
      01-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #159
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Your standards are not too high. I have the same gripe. I came from D.C. where good food is a given. Down here good food is an anomaly and hard, if not impossible, to find.
I've been to DC, Boston and recently spent a few weeks in CA. Can't say I had anything that was significantly better than what I could find locally. CA had more Indian restaurants than what we have here, however there are still some very good ones that were on par to what I had in CA. Same goes for Asian which I would of thought CA would have had much better options.

Now I'm talking your normal stuff, ramen, fried rice, noodles type stuff. If you mean like super high end fancy places or authentic chicken beaks and pig testicles then I dunno, you may be right.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #160
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Same goes for Asian which I would of thought CA would have had much better options.
Which area of CA?

Plus, people's definition of good is always different. I prefer small hole in the walls that specialize in a dish or two. Chef inspired restaurants are also at the top of my list. Places that are innovative so that if I want X to eat, I have to go to that restaurant.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      01-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #161
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Which area of CA?

Plus, people's definition of good is always different. I prefer small hole in the walls that specialize in a dish or two. Chef inspired restaurants are also at the top of my list. Places that are innovative so that if I want X to eat, I have to go to that restaurant.
Mainly Sacramento and San Fransisco. I like hole in the wall places too. I have have my specific restaurant for each dish. Drive my gf nuts because I ALWAYS have the same dish at each place. I love ramen, so I was looking forward to some good ramen over there and while I had good ramen, I found it no better than what I can get here (at my ramen place). Of course there is also super shitty ramen here also depending on where you go.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00