BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Arrow From Munich, Germany ► Rimini, Italy

i have a wedding in rimini but would like to visit an old friend in munich before.

this will be my first time visiting europe and i am excited and nervous on planning my travels.

i have experience living and driving in asia in addition to usa but this is a whole new experience...

option 1:
i was originally thinking about flying to munich, meeting my friend for a few days, and rent a car and drive down to rimini.

my only concern is since its my first time in europe, would i be comfortable driving on first visit.

-if i rent a car from hertz or sixt for example, am i insured from god forbid accidents?
-what happens to any traffic violations i get over seas?
-will my car and luggage safe?
-will i be safe traveling alone (im thinking hostel )
-will my ny driving style be accepted there

option 2:
fly to munich and take a train to rimini. this might be easier means of travel while still being able to see whats out there along the way. transferring trains should be self explanatory and im assuming they have english subs everywhere.

option 3:
fly to munich and take another flight to rimini. this would be the safest and easiest means of travel for a first time visitor like myself.
      04-14-2015, 06:01 AM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Option 1 for sure. Might as well experience the autobahn. When renting a car there's usually a third party insurance included. If anything your own insurance/credit card will cover it.

People over there drive very well and you shouldn't have any problems. Not sure what your driving style is like but just remember to pass on the left and stay right if you're going slow. Not all sections are unlimited so be sure to follow the speed limits; there is also no turning right on red in the city (doesn't matter if you've stopped).

You will be fine in terms of safety, and so will your luggage. Use common sense and you'll have fun. Europe in general is a safe place. I went to Oktoberfest last year by myself and never felt threatened at all. If anything I made a bunch of friends there.

When are you going btw?
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #3
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Option 1, if not that, Option 2. See some of the country while you are there that way, much better.

I rented a car in Amsterdam and drove to Stuttgart, then Luxembourg, then to Paris, and back through Brussels on my way back to Amsterdam. It was amazing to see the scenery via car, that you wouldn't appreciate on a plane, and on a train you cannot stop if you see something interesting. For example, in Stuttgart I saw a sign stating that mineral baths were ahead...so I found the place and went in. It was an experience for sure...guess its a German thing that everyone has to be naked if you go into the sauna (both sexes). Didn't know that, but figured it out real quick.

And the autobahn is amazing. Topped out at 230 km/h if it was flat, made it up to 245 km/h going downhill. No, your NYC driving style is not acceptable, try to actually respect the rules of the road and you'll be fine. Always stay right.

I never once felt threatened or unsafe, and I spent a night or two sleeping in the backseat of my car. Hostels were fine too, but you do have to watch your stuff...find one with lockers at least (and have a lock).

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22
Option 1 for sure. Might as well experience the autobahn. When renting a car there's usually a third party insurance included. If anything your own insurance/credit card will cover it.

People over there drive very well and you shouldn't have any problems. Not sure what your driving style is like but just remember to pass on the left and stay right if you're going slow. Not all sections are unlimited so be sure to follow the speed limits; there is also no turning right on red in the city (doesn't matter if you've stopped).

You will be fine in terms of safety, and so will your luggage. Use common sense and you'll have fun. Europe in general is a safe place. I went to Oktoberfest last year by myself and never felt threatened at all. If anything I made a bunch of friends there.

When are you going btw?
This.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Always interesting to see how Americans talk about going to Europe. Definitely described to this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Always interesting to see how Americans talk about going to Europe. Definitely described to this thread.
I felt the same way. Especially with the addition of "been to Asia before"...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

You have two real driving options, depending on time of the year, the eastern route through Austria puts you through the Brenner Pass which can be a nightmare, especially in the winter. If you take the longer, western route, you'll pass by Lake Como and Milan. Aside from the minor annoyance of Swiss border stops, which you won't have going through Austria, I'd choose the longer, more scenic route. Just be aware that petrol is much more expensive in Switzerland, so fill up on both sides if possible. The Swiss also love enforcing their speed limits, which can be easy to forget when you come blowing in off the southern Autobahns.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

When doing your monetary conversion of the price of gas, also don't forget it's listed for a litre, not a gallon! So after doing the conversion, then multiply by 4! I forgot that when I went to Denmark years back. Gas was about $1.50 in Cali at the time. The gas in Copenhagen was listed at about 7.70K, and conversion was about 7K=$1. "That's still about $1/gallon, what are you all complaining about?" Then my girlfriend did the l/gal conversion for me
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

You're on vacation, stop trying to convert shit. Never pay attention to the fact that a turkey sammich in Zurich is $30.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Hey, beer comes in 30-packs, gotta have enough money to buy her dad another one.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You're on vacation, stop trying to convert shit. Never pay attention to the fact that a turkey sammich in Zurich is $30.

Lol ain't that the truth. Or how a burger ling keal is $20, ketchup is extra.
Appreciate 0