BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

03-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #45
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i (coming)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Yep - but I also disagree with that system and feel it needs to be overhauled. It causes too much "we gotta use it or we will lose it" crap at the end of each fiscal year, and that's how you end up with the damn $10,000 coffee cups and $35,000 toilets.

While your premise is true - I remember when we couldn't get new flight suits but could panel the pilot lounge - that is not what caused $10,000 coffee cups. The requirement to meet "mil Specs" is what causes that. When the coffee cup has to survive nuclear blasts, being dropped from 50 feet, withstand military coffee, etc., then it costs $10,000.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 3
Jockey1834.50
MKSixer14484.50

03-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #46
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SS M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Quote:
Yep - but I also disagree with that system and feel it needs to be overhauled. It causes too much "we gotta use it or we will lose it" crap at the end of each fiscal year, and that's how you end up with the damn $10,000 coffee cups and $35,000 toilets.

While your premise is true - I remember when we couldn't get new flight suits but could panel the pilot lounge - that is not what caused $10,000 coffee cups. The requirement to meet "mil Specs" is what causes that. When the coffee cup has to survive nuclear blasts, being dropped from 50 feet, withstand military coffee, etc., then it costs $10,000.
But did you see those coffee cups the C-17 guys got?

Man they are nice
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #47
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:

When I did the civilian support for a Navy base thing, this is what got us touch-go flights at lunch time, and fuel dumps on baby whales
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #48
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
e - not to mention we have spent nearly $20,000 to get it complete. That is absurd.
Governmental fees for the process, or payments to an attorney to guide you thru the task?

How much should the privilege of becoming an American cost?

I wasn't part of the process at that detail for the people on my wife's side of the family who went thru the process, only part of the He-UGE crowd at the LA convention center for the ceremony. 10's of thousands of us had to go thru security checkpoints to get in to watch. While everyone else waited in line, I went out a found a nice street-dog!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #49
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Agreed. I always thought it was silly too. Fortunately, at least in naval aviation, we were no longer ostracized for underexecuting. Now were those funds went were a mystery to me.

With that said, the money in the different "pots" is still that. Pulling a couple billion out of military infrastructure projects just means those projects don't get funded and we continue to kick the can down the road like we've been doing for the last 15 years. Unfortunately, we have to work within the rules that are approved for us.

But hey, the funds Trump wants is about a new Columbia class SSBN. We just sacrifice one of those, and boom, 55 miles of wall/slats/angry beavers. He barely understands what the nuclear triad is anyways.
Hey, clown, that's been my bailiwick for the last year. Between that and the "lighten up francis" meme, I seem to be around many posters here that steal my material!

ps I'm glad someone else connected Trump and the lack of knowledge on the "triad". He probably thinks its part of a bar stool.

03-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #50
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Government bear don't care.
So, worse than DMV. I feel your pain.

Would think LiveScan could be done anywhere, here's your form
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #51
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They refuse to take anything other than the old fashioned ink version.

kinda explains why you have to travel
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 10:02 AM   #52
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Obama DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson: "We Are Truly In A Crisis" On Southern Border.

It pains me to say this, but shutting down the border may be the only remedy. This is a bad situation.
Iirc, 4000 more are coming up through Mexico now. Why weren't these massive caravans happening before Trump?
S
O
R
O
S

03-30-2019, 11:15 PM   #53
ynguldyn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
S
O
R
O
S
"Jews" is one letter shorter. Drop the pretense, save key presses.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 11:40 PM   #54
Eriphill
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
"Jews" is one letter shorter. Drop the pretense, save key presses.
Wow talk about a low intelligence post. This NPC takes the cake ^

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 02:08 AM   #55
W211F30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30- 335i M

Borders are there to protect every country's sovereignty.. it's not rocket science. Since time immemorial, territories and borders have been established.

Political landscapes change because of its country's respective governance. We should mow our lawn first before mowing our neighbor's.

Last edited by W211F30; 03-31-2019 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
Germanauto3352.50

03-31-2019, 02:09 AM   #56
Germanauto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogeeseegod View Post
If my country were falling apart and there were violence in the streets, I would move my family to the safest country that we could get into. Especially one that has made efforts to offer asylum to people in those exact circumstances. I would carry them 1000 miles to see them safe. A little empathy can go a long way.
Bro lay it a fkin rest.

My parents immigrated to this country LEGALLY in 1985 and worked their tails off to succeed. They flipped burgers, assisted janitors, and slept on the floor of apartments with 5 roommates.

Have some sympathy (not "empathy" look up the definition) for LEGAL immigrants like my parents. Guilt tripping for illegals is a slap in the face to every immigrant here who did it the right way.
Appreciate 1
W211F3045.50

03-31-2019, 02:17 AM   #57
autoart
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M

Walls work- when you are at a sporting event or any place with a lot of people, what happens? Their are fences for crowd control. People don't jump them. If I wanted to enter the US and in front of me their is a wall, but if I walk 1/2mile their is no wall. Most would walk the 1/2mile.
Granted the wall is in the middle of no where. No one is watching and you have the time to climb it or go though it. It is a pro active measure. Sensors and cameras are reactive.
2nd point- What is going to happen 10 years from now when all these young kids crossing the boarder grow up? More dreamers. No one is going to have the will to deport them 10 years from now.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast3350.50

03-31-2019, 06:33 AM   #58
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Not normally. Where did you see NPR claiming it was at some record high, or whatever words you are describing them as saying? Got a link?
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ation-increase

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...der-12-n979546

New article from WSJ claiming similar surge:

"From the start of the federal fiscal year in October through February, the Border Patrol arrested 136,150 people traveling as families for crossing the border illegally, according to data released Tuesday. The prior record for a 12-month period was 107,212, during the fiscal year that ended last September."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-mi...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

"The overall number of arrests at the border was roughly 267,900 between October and February, compared with 136,209 over the same period a year earlier. That figure has in recent years been hovering near lows not seen since the 1970s, as fewer single adults come to the US in search of work, deterred by stepped-up enforcement and an improved Mexican economy.

The volume of families, most of whom voluntarily turn themselves in to law enforcement to seek asylum, has at times overwhelmed government facilities. Some families spend days in cinder-block cells with no beds or showers while waiting to be processed by immigration officials."

Yet another "fictitious" Caravan:
http://time.com/5561225/mexico-centr...grant-caravan/

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24532045&postcount=2
It appears someone else has the same idea I proposed in post #2 in this thread:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...merica-1244463
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 07:24 AM   #59
jimbobiggens
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
There's an old story about a family that wanted birds in their backyard so they put up a bird feeder. The birds came, and more came, and even more came. The birds became a problem. The solution was to take down the bird feeder.

They come this way because we are stupid enough to give them taxpayer money. Stop doing that and they will quit coming. Probably won't even need a wall.
MKSixer14484.50

03-31-2019, 11:45 AM   #60
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

essentially this is how panhandling works too... if a panhandler has success and draws in revenue in a certain area they will stay there which will in turn draw in more panhandlers until the area is saturated and revenue decreases then they move on. if we continue to hand out to illegal entries they will continue to come.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer14484.50

03-31-2019, 08:48 PM   #61
ynguldyn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Have some sympathy (not "empathy" look up the definition) for LEGAL immigrants like my parents. Guilt tripping for illegals is a slap in the face to every immigrant here who did it the right way.
2nd gen immigrants are the worst.

I immigrated legally. I think opening the country for more immigrants is the right thing to do. We work harder, we are smarter, eventually we will take over from the lazy descendants of Western Europeans and remake America in our own image. It'll become better, cooler, browner - and with nicer dance moves too. How exactly the immigrants cross the border is irrelevant for the end result, so until they can come legally I'll take the current arrivals at the Mexico border as the second best.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 08:51 PM   #62
ynguldyn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
There's an old story about a family that wanted birds in their backyard so they put up a bird feeder. The birds came, and more came, and even more came. The birds became a problem. The solution was to take down the bird feeder.

They come this way because we are stupid enough to give them taxpayer money. Stop doing that and they will quit coming. Probably won't even need a wall.
They don't give a flying fuck about the handouts. They come because the country is safe, their kids can get an education here, and they will be paid for their work, even in crappy jobs - which they are happy to do. You want to make them stop coming - make life in America suck as much as it does in El Salvador. That's the only way.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #63
jimbobiggens
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
They don't give a flying fuck about the handouts. They come because the country is safe, their kids can get an education here, and they will be paid for their work, even in crappy jobs - which they are happy to do. You want to make them stop coming - make life in America suck as much as it does in El Salvador. That's the only way.
But that's exactly my point. If an illegal had no possibility of employment, education for their children, or a place to stay - why would they come?
      04-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #64
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
They don't give a flying fuck about the handouts.
Clearly they do not care about handouts:

https://cis.org/Report/63-NonCitizen...lfare-Programs

https://www.watchdog.org/national/re...a8b2d3b38.html

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...orn-americans/

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...born-americans

Quote:
How exactly the immigrants cross the border is irrelevant for the end result,
It absolutely does matter because it is ILLEGAL. If I live in a horrible neighborhood with high crime, poor school system and hardly any prosperity then sneak into your home which happens to be in a nicer area then stay there without your permission... would that be okay because the end result is a better life for me?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #65
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Quote:
They don't give a flying fuck about the handouts.
Clearly they do not care about handouts:

https://cis.org/Report/63-NonCitizen...lfare-Programs

https://www.watchdog.org/national/re...a8b2d3b38.html

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...orn-americans/

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...born-americans

Quote:
How exactly the immigrants cross the border is irrelevant for the end result,
It absolutely does matter because it is ILLEGAL. If I live in a horrible neighborhood with high crime, poor school system and hardly any prosperity then sneak into your home which happens to be in a nicer area then stay there without your permission... would that be okay because the end result is a better life for me?
Omg!!
Bratbart? Zerohedge? Why not throw in some RT or Sputnik? Where's Alex Jones?

And:
Overall, .....CIS a questionable source based on publishing misleading information (propaganda) regarding immigration, as well as ties either directly or indirectly to the John Tanton Network, who is a known White Nationalist.

04-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #66
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
2nd gen immigrants are the worst.

I immigrated legally. I think opening the country for more immigrants is the right thing to do. We work harder, we are smarter, eventually we will take over from the lazy descendants of Western Europeans and remake America in our own image. It'll become better, cooler, browner - and with nicer dance moves too. How exactly the immigrants cross the border is irrelevant for the end result, so until they can come legally I'll take the current arrivals at the Mexico border as the second best.
Finally makes sense. You're for lawlessness. Got it.

And since you're all for it...how many can we send to your home?

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 3
SakhirM49400.00
.2pdk4002.00
W211F3045.50