BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #23
xQx
General
Australia
844
Rep
995
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast QLD Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
pussies, open log flame in the kitchen!
Lol! Thanks for reminding me.

I guarantee you that anybody who gets nostalgic about these f*cking things, didn't have to collect wood for them as a child.

Appreciate 1
      03-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #24
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
5158
Rep
1,593
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Lol! Thanks for reminding me.

I guarantee you that anybody who gets nostalgic about these f*cking things, didn't have to collect wood for them as a child.

My Uncle and Aunt had one of those in the kitchen, I always got to build the fire in the morning and I thought it was fun but I was only there during haying in the summer.
Appreciate 1
xQx843.50

      03-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #25
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
1893
Rep
3,094
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

I've always been a fan of gas. In fact a new six-burner Thermador gas range is coming in to replace our 15 year-old Thermador gas range. Old range is a four-burner with the griddle in-between. Never used the griddle so went with the six-burner instead.

I get the appeal of the induction but as others have stated it would require a new set of cookware for us. Not exactly the same technology but my parents have had the infrared glass cook top and found keeping those clean to be almost as much of a pain in the a$$ as the gas range. Just my $0.02
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 3
MKSixer12829.50
wrickem1136.00

      03-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #26
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
12830
Rep
6,610
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
I've always been a fan of gas. In fact a new six-burner Thermador gas range is coming in to replace our 15 year-old Thermador gas range. Old range is a four-burner with the griddle in-between. Never used the griddle so went with the six-burner instead.

I get the appeal of the induction but as others have stated it would require a new set of cookware for us. Not exactly the same technology but my parents have had the infrared glass cook top and found keeping those clean to be almost as much of a pain in the a$$ as the gas range. Just my $0.02
This. And don't even talk about a power outage. I think we've had those here.

Gas.

Close Thread.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

@[Nyet. Not Russian Hacker](contact:368080)
Ask me hacker question. Hacker question I get answer.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #27
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
7157
Rep
6,987
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

So, can I toss my <insert random bread/tortilla/bagel/naan> directly on the induction and get warmed, nicely singed on a few edges?????
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #28
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
1893
Rep
3,094
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, can I toss my <insert random bread/tortilla/bagel/naan> directly on the induction and get warmed, nicely singed on a few edges?????
As I understand it, no. Most have a sensor that detects the pot and activates the heating element. Naan won't do that!!

Of course we already have gas but if the house were not plumbed for it I'm sure we would have gone induction rather than paying to have the gas plumbed. But most homes down here use gas for cooking and are set up for it.
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 1
MKSixer12829.50

      03-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #29
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
DETRoadster's Avatar
5194
Rep
2,448
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

There's a reason every restaurant and every professional chef uses induction...oh wait...
Appreciate 7
MKSixer12829.50
xQx843.50
Red Bread2741.00
N54Yankee1006.00
bimmer4561551.50

      03-11-2019, 06:53 PM   #30
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
12830
Rep
6,610
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
There's a reason every restaurant and every professional chef uses induction...oh wait...
Bwahahahahahahaha!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

@[Nyet. Not Russian Hacker](contact:368080)
Ask me hacker question. Hacker question I get answer.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #31
dreamingat30fps
Major
United_States
635
Rep
1,133
Posts

Drives: 2014 C7, 2017 F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
There's a reason every restaurant and every professional chef uses induction...oh wait...

^^ That's what I was going to say.

I have a regular electric stove. Sure it's easy to clean, but if my main concern was how good it is for actual cooking, I would go gas all the way. Luckily I don't cook so doesn't matter. My girlfriend does cook and she prefers gas also. We do have a gas stove in the RV for obvious reasons and love it.

As for the boiling water. Seems to take a long time on the electric stove also, what we do is get it going in the electric kettle which heats that shit up real fast then dump it in the pot. Works great.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer12829.50

      03-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #32
xQx
General
Australia
844
Rep
995
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast QLD Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, can I toss my <insert random bread/tortilla/bagel/naan> directly on the induction and get warmed, nicely singed on a few edges?????
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
As I understand it, no. Most have a sensor that detects the pot and activates the heating element. Naan won't do that!!
Not quite - induction stoves actually cause the bottom of the pot to heat, not the stove.

Most modern electric stoves work exactly as you say - they have a flush surface and there's a heating element under the glass that turns on and heats up when it detects a pot on top of it.

But induction stoves work differently, there's a electromagnetic coil under the glass that causes the metal pot to heat up. ... so even if the induction coil is running at full strength, your hand will not get hot.

... Of course, the glass gets hot because it's got a hot pan on the top of it, but the stove its self or the glass top never directly heats.


https://www.finecooking.com/article/...-cooktop-works
Appreciate 3
kscarrol1893.00
RickFLM43716.00
Deniz45.50

      03-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #33
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
1893
Rep
3,094
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
No.



Not quite - induction stoves actually cause the bottom of the pot to heat, not the stove.

Most modern electric stoves work exactly as you say - they have a flush surface and there's a heating element under the glass that turns on and heats up when it detects a pot on top of it.

But induction stoves work differently, there's a electromagnetic coil under the glass that causes the metal pot to heat up. ... so even if the induction coil is running at full strength, your hand will not get hot.

... Of course, the glass gets hot because it's got a hot pan on the top of it, but the stove its self or the glass top never directly heats.


https://www.finecooking.com/article/...-cooktop-works
Thanks for the clarification! It is great technology but my main point was that Unclewede could not simply throw his naan on the induction cooktop to toast it and that without the metal pan that cooktop would not activate. But I'll stick with my gas range!
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 2
xQx843.50
MKSixer12829.50

      03-11-2019, 07:28 PM   #34
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
3716
Rep
3,596
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

If you have gas service, are concerned about power outages and willing to spend on a higher end stove, gas is a fine choice. We don’t have gas service and I’m not interested in burying a propane tank in the yard, so when our regular electric cooktop goes, we will probably replace it with induction. I have seen some comparisons of water boiling times and induction is much faster. Also seems easier to manage / control cooking temperature. Plus easy cleaning.

Also, while not everything is compatible, more pots and pans work on it than people think.
__________________
Current: 2018 SO/SS F83 ZCP
Gone: 2015 SO/SO F82
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #35
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
1893
Rep
3,094
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Most of this discussion centers around personal preference and whether the home has been plumbed for gas or not. Induction cooktops also require 240V (at least from my quick google search) and I would have to have an electrician add the dedicated circuit and wiring. So at the end of the day, buy what meets your needs and enjoy!
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #36
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
638
Rep
1,682
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Get a stove that has both, that is what we did.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer12829.50

      03-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #37
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
8327
Rep
21,508
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Dont you have one of those things with the smaller feet so they can stand closer to the stove so you can worry about other things?
Appreciate 1
bmanka25.50

      03-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #38
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
2741
Rep
7,826
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Most of this discussion centers around personal preference and whether the home has been plumbed for gas or not. Induction cooktops also require 240V (at least from my quick google search) and I would have to have an electrician add the dedicated circuit and wiring. So at the end of the day, buy what meets your needs and enjoy!
Aren't most electric stovetops/ovens 240v? Don't think I've ever had one that isn't.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #39
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
1893
Rep
3,094
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Aren't most electric stovetops/ovens 240v? Don't think I've ever had one that isn't.
Kind of like me asking aren't most kitchens plumbed for gas? Yes all electric ranges are but unless the kitchen is designed for that you won't have it. We do not have a 240V power source in the kitchen, we have gas instead... both the cooktop and oven are gas.
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #40
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
2741
Rep
7,826
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Aren't most electric stovetops/ovens 240v? Don't think I've ever had one that isn't.
Kind of like me asking aren't most kitchens plumbed for gas? Yes all electric ranges are but unless the kitchen is designed for that you won't have it. We do not have a 240V power source in the kitchen, we have gas instead... both the cooktop and oven are gas.
Aha, jelly over here.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #41
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
1893
Rep
3,094
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

I wouldn't be totally opposed to electric/induction but we cook every day, often using cast iron pots and pans. That wouldn't work on induction even if just from a damage to the glass top perspective. If we were in an area without gas then induction it would be and we would learn to love I'm sure. Having said that we will retire in North Carolina and have designed the house with a full gas kitchen...
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1997 Z3 2.8, Artic Silver, Tanin Red interior, MT
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #42
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
CigarPundit's Avatar
United_States
831
Rep
555
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
I love my flush gas range. Looks cool, easy to clean, and IT'S GAS!!

Name:  Range.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  177.2 KB
__________________
"God bless our troops...Especially our snipers.”
Appreciate 2
wrickem1136.00
MKSixer12829.50

      03-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #43
stevenvillatoro
Captain
stevenvillatoro's Avatar
United_States
678
Rep
610
Posts

Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I've had my induction cooktop for three years. No way I'd ever go back to anything else. It beats gas in every aspect except for roasting veggies on a flame. It's faster to warm up, and cools quicker when reducing heat. Surface cleanup is simple with no bulky metal burners – a huge plus. Heat zones can't catch anything on fire or burn/hurt someone. Built-in timers mean that you can start something and it can turn itself off when done.
__________________
—Steve

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
[I]Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #44
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
5158
Rep
1,593
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
This. And don't even talk about a power outage. I think we've had those here.

Gas.

Close Thread.
Yup, I mentioned that earlier. We've had a few blackouts that lasted a couple of days. I can always cook. Zero electronics on my Wolf except for the oven fan and light. Neither see much use and therefore no gremlins that drive costly repairs. I can only imagine the electronics in an induction cooker. What could possibly go wrong?

Breakfast is on......coffee black like my heart!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
MKSixer12829.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST