BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #23
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

They just had a few articles locally about a guy who was selling OBD emulators to use for spoofing/passing emissions. Wonder if those would interface to give you the desired effect.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 08:39 PM   #24
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
I looked into doing this a while back, because i have a perfect driving record, so i thought it would help save some money.. WRONG! I found out that a lot of peoples rates actually went up! It tracks what TIME you drive, and if you are driving during peak times, that goes against you. The distance you drive to work, and if its more than like 7 miles, that hurts you. If you hit your brakes too hard, THAT hurts you. There are so many things that people dont realize when they give it a try. I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
"vividracing" - with a name like that I could have told you your rates were going up.
      01-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #25
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
Quote:
I looked into doing this a while back, because i have a perfect driving record, so i thought it would help save some money.. WRONG! I found out that a lot of peoples rates actually went up! It tracks what TIME you drive, and if you are driving during peak times, that goes against you. The distance you drive to work, and if its more than like 7 miles, that hurts you. If you hit your brakes too hard, THAT hurts you. There are so many things that people dont realize when they give it a try. I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
"vividracing" - with a name like that I could have told you your rates were going up.
That's fair lol
PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 10:21 PM   #26
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Lets see who can get low score.....

https://www.statefarm.com/customer-c...river-feedback

Friend of mine has an X6 with the big v8. We ran through the mountains and it is a solid red line of warnings....

My agency offers a tracking system. Some people love it some don't.

I offer it to my clients and I have seen an average of 12% discount. But you have to figure most are self selecting as "good" drivers. Since it is only filed as a discount it cannot increase your rates and it won't get you cancelled.

We don't use OBDii. We give you a bluetooth beacon that lives in your car and triggers the app when a customers phone is present.

https://www.statefarm.com/customer-c...nd-save-mobile

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #27
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Lets see who can get low score.....

https://www.statefarm.com/customer-c...river-feedback

Friend of mine has an X6 with the big v8. We ran through the mountains and it is a solid red line of warnings....

My agency offers a tracking system. Some people love it some don't.

I offer it to my clients and I have seen an average of 12% discount. But you have to figure most are self selecting as "good" drivers. Since it is only filed as a discount it cannot increase your rates and it won't get you cancelled.

We don't use OBDii. We give you a bluetooth beacon that lives in your car and triggers the app when a customers phone is present.

https://www.statefarm.com/customer-c...nd-save-mobile
I got this directly off of progressives website..

"With Snapshot, we measure a variety of factors related to your driving, including the times of day you drive, sudden changes in speed (hard brakes and rapid accelerations) and the amount you drive.

Most Snapshot customers earn a discount based on their safe driving; however, riskier driving based on these factors indicate a greater likelihood of being in an accident and may result in a higher rate at renewal. See our state details page for more information."
PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #28
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
I got this directly off of progressives website..

"With Snapshot, we measure a variety of factors related to your driving, including the times of day you drive, sudden changes in speed (hard brakes and rapid accelerations) and the amount you drive.

Most Snapshot customers earn a discount based on their safe driving; however, riskier driving based on these factors indicate a greater likelihood of being in an accident and may result in a higher rate at renewal. See our state details page for more information."
Each insurance company files with their State and every state is different. State Farm has filed theirs as a discount from 1 to 50% only....looks like progressive didn't.

They are using it as an underwriting factor.

Good to know!!!

I wouldn't sign up for that....well maybe my truck.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #29
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

When I worked for Progressive, it could cause rates to go up in SOME states, I don't know if that changed.

Also, no - it cannot be order for one car and used for another.
Finally, as mentioned, it looks for rate of deceleration AND acceleration, time of day and distance traveled. Traveling over 30 miles, or between midnight and 5 am would really drop that discount down.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #30
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Probably a good idea to help other non-gearheads realize this could be a big downside, and a big brother spy tool and generate some pushback, lest the insurance companies decide it is something they can require for coverage. It would be a no brainer that this massively improves underwriting accuracy. I'd be cautious with those 'free apps' too, since these guys are real slick about 'big data'. I know the health insurers have a ton of ways to try to find out who might have HIV or smoke, and they all share all their data all the time; wouldn't put it past them to 'market' a fun little app that came back to bite you - kind of like a 'show us a picture of your stash' contest being run by the DEA.
Appreciate 1
angelr187.50
      01-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #31
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Probably a good idea to help other non-gearheads realize this could be a big downside, and a big brother spy tool and generate some pushback, lest the insurance companies decide it is something they can require for coverage. It would be a no brainer that this massively improves underwriting accuracy. I'd be cautious with those 'free apps' too, since these guys are real slick about 'big data'. I know the health insurers have a ton of ways to try to find out who might have HIV or smoke, and they all share all their data all the time; wouldn't put it past them to 'market' a fun little app that came back to bite you - kind of like a 'show us a picture of your stash' contest being run by the DEA.
Agree. My wife really gets worked up over this sort of thing. The insurance companies sure as hell aren't doing this for any other reason then to grab more...and I also know that most of us here are liable to drive in a manner, at least occasionally, that they might find a bit overzealous

Touching triple digit speeds on the angeles crest highway or an ebrake turn for example might be looked by them as reckless behavior
Appreciate 1
Maynard3833.00
      01-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #32
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Short-sighted killjoys. But is your ebrake strong enough to pull a turn? Mine feels kinda light when I do that 'apply it while driving' bit that the manual recc's. Not that I'd ever be reckless enough to do that, not when there are plastic trays to be found.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #33
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Short-sighted killjoys. But is your ebrake strong enough to pull a turn? Mine feels kinda light when I do that 'apply it while driving' bit that the manual recc's. Not that I'd ever be reckless enough to do that, not when there are plastic trays to be found.
Actually on the z4 my ebrake isn't up to it, but on the GTI and the GLI you can drag the rear tires at any speed. Beats a 3 point turn
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 09:08 PM   #34
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Especially in a rental car.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #35
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I drive 100miles round trip a day during rush hour times at a cock head driving style... I can't imagine what kind of rates I'd get with this device..