03-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #529
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I'd call it lacking (oil temp, pressure)...
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i
Especially since your 135i has an Oil temperature gauge and the M2 has the stupid EfficientDynamics (at least it can be turned off, but then leaves a gaping hole where something useful, like oil temperature, should be displayed).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 02:47 PM   #530
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Especially since your 135i has an Oil temperature gauge and the M2 has the stupid EfficientDynamics (at least it can be turned off, but then leaves a gaping hole where something useful, like oil temperature, should be displayed).
Yep. My X3 has the EfficientDynamics thing, that isn't much use, but still retained the oil temp gauge just above it.

My earlier cars had oil pressure as well, and if you go back far enough it was quite dynamic and not just a bit of a dummy on / off thing. It seems cars are assuming we are dumber and dumber as time goes on. They may be right.

TBH those gauges aren't really needed. But I do enjoy having them. Especially oil temp, I change my drive to work as the weather cools so it's a little farther and takes a little longer so I can be sure I've warmed it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:40 PM   #531
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd call it lacking (oil temp, pressure) and hate it. Well, hate's too strong, but I'd be sad and annoyed.
It has an oil temp gauge.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:53 PM   #532
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmmmM2 View Post
... simplified ... I love it.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd call it lacking (oil temp, pressure) and hate it. Well, hate's too strong, but I'd be sad and annoyed.
Tracer

I hope you didn't buy one of these god awful cars because I'd hate to see you distressed over a missing oil temp gauge, hate's too strong a word; annoyed let's say

... oh wait, apparently it does have oil temp, okay, let's try pressure

MmmmmM22588.50
      03-16-2021, 06:46 PM   #533
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
There is just something so elegant and simplified in the M2 Comp gauges. I love it.
i do like that it shows you what door is open - seems that's been missing nowadays after the initial engine startup?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #534
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good. Didn't look like it from the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Tracer

I hope you didn't buy one of these god awful cars because I'd hate to see you distressed over a missing oil temp gauge, hate's too strong a word; annoyed let's say

Like I said, the pic didn't show it. And I'd hate it if it were true but I'm sure love the rest. We could try and be sure, want to trade?

I've got nothing against M2's, don't take it the wrong way. Would LOVE to have one. Considering one in fact. Just have to convince the wife. She's not going for it so far though.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #535
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Tracer

Like I said, the pic didn't show it. And I'd hate it if it were true but I'm sure love the rest. We could try and be sure, want to trade?

I've got nothing against M2's, don't take it the wrong way. Would LOVE to have one. Considering one in fact. Just have to convince the wife. She's not going for it so far though.
I feel for you, after much consideration between the wife and the M2CS, ......

......well, the CS won
Attached Images

Karmic Man1996.00
m3fuz199.00
      03-16-2021, 11:03 PM   #536
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Because it's not part of the gauge cluster, they stashed it as one of the options in the OBC and this only started in the LCI model. The pre-LCI models (like mine) have a combination oil/water "measurement" with words like COLD, OK and HOT.

If they had to put the oil temp in the OBC (which feels like an afterthought), they could also have included coolant temp.

One of the reasons why many folks install the P3 or Awron vent gauges to display all those values and more.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2021, 08:03 AM   #537
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Please make it so.

Way too early, but those latest pics show sunken in wheels like on the G8x that look terrible. Pop those suckers out.
Note that these test cars are running winter tires (as you can see from the threads), so they are automatically narrower than what will be on the final product.

Regardless, I don't know any modern BMW that doesn't benefit from spacers, so this is not a deal breaker by any means.

Plus let's be honest, most of us will be looking at aftermarket wheels anyway
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
NickyC17484.50
      03-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #538
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I wonder what their excuse would be for dropping DCT this time when the base car has likely less power than previous gen M4 and RWD only.
      03-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #539
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
I wonder what their excuse would be for dropping DCT this time when the base car has likely less power than previous gen M4 and RWD only.
Their excuse for the G8X doesn't even make sense considering the F1X M5 and M6 had DCT's in all variants, and they even had a manual available too, so they could have definitely paired the manual with the comp G8X trim, and had continued the DCT. I think it came down to the cost of pairing the DCT with the xDrive system and the fact that its all around cheaper to use the ZF. The argument that the DCT can't handle the power is pure BS, just like the argument that they need big grills for cooling.
Ikester192124.00
MmmmmM22588.50
      03-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #540
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Their excuse for the G8X doesn't even make sense considering the F1X M5 and M6 had DCT's in all variants, and they even had a manual available too, so they could have definitely paired the manual with the comp G8X trim, and had continued the DCT. I think it came down to the cost of pairing the DCT with the xDrive system and the fact that its all around cheaper to use the ZF. The argument that the DCT can't handle the power is pure BS, just like the argument that they need big grills for cooling.
I know with G8x they had excuse with AWD, trickle down from M5 powertrain. Not so much the case here with many loving the hardcore characteristics of the current F87 M2, which can never be replicated with a slushbox.
      03-17-2021, 10:00 PM   #541
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Currently there is no Ferrari that is built in China and no Porsche being built in Vietnam...yet

I doubt that will ever happen to Ferrari as their market positioning requires them to be exclusive in every aspect. Made in China goes against that positioning. In fact the market in China demands that Ferrari are to be made in Italy and Porsche GT cars are to be made in Germany. They are buying the allusion of opulence, technology is secondary.

In every Asian market, people psychologically want anything that they buy with a foreign brand name to be made overseas (not in China or SE, Japan is good), let alone a luxurious product. Imagine a Patek Philippe being made in China or Vietnam? Just not going to happen
I believe that you are wrong. Any car mahufacturer that wanted to be in China was forced to open a factory in China, hire chinese and own 49% of the shares while another company with a Chinese name and under the Chinese Comunist Party owns 51%.

If you want to sell there you need to give up your know how and all your blueprints to be copy pasted.
Just saying

I avoid Chinese products anytime I can and rather not have it than buy something made in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 06:03 AM   #542
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
I believe that you are wrong. Any car mahufacturer that wanted to be in China was forced to open a factory in China, hire chinese and own 49% of the shares while another company with a Chinese name and under the Chinese Comunist Party owns 51%.

If you want to sell there you need to give up your know how and all your blueprints to be copy pasted.
Just saying

I avoid Chinese products anytime I can and rather not have it than buy something made in there.
Nope you are wrong...joint venture yes, forced to open a plant is plain wrong.

All Ferrari in China are imported

Come on, anyone in China & HK rich enough to buy a Ferrari will not buy a Ferrari that is made in China...

https://ferraris-online.com/the-brav...aris-in-china/
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #543
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Currently there is no Ferrari that is built in China and no Porsche being built in Vietnam...yet

I doubt that will ever happen to Ferrari as their market positioning requires them to be exclusive in every aspect. Made in China goes against that positioning. In fact the market in China demands that Ferrari are to be made in Italy and Porsche GT cars are to be made in Germany. They are buying the allusion of opulence, technology is secondary.

In every Asian market, people psychologically want anything that they buy with a foreign brand name to be made overseas (not in China or SE, Japan is good), let alone a luxurious product. Imagine a Patek Philippe being made in China or Vietnam? Just not going to happen

Just saying

lol

I own a domain called www.NoMoreChineseCrap.com

different reason, same outcome; I hate buying shit that dies after five minutes
      03-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #544
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
There is just something so elegant and simplified in the M2 Comp gauges. I love it.
i like the overall layout except for the 'M2' - to me, it should just say 'M'
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #545
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Wow looking good. I will probably be trading my comp in for this if it debuts in manual. Very hard to say which markets will get what. The rear takes queues from the Supra and I think it really works--though it isn't traditional.
      03-20-2021, 11:34 AM   #546
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Nope you are wrong...joint venture yes, forced to open a plant is plain wrong.

All Ferrari in China are imported

Come on, anyone in China & HK rich enough to buy a Ferrari will not buy a Ferrari that is made in China...

https://ferraris-online.com/the-brav...aris-in-china/
I was not talking about Ferrari. I was talknig about companies that want to make business in China. Ferrari doesnt have that so Chinese burn them in different way. A $260k US spec Ferrari is sold in China for $750k.
To sell to the rest that are not super rich and appeal to the huge population in there you need to do what I have mentioned.
you can read all over if you want to.
There you go:

http://factsanddetails.com/china/cat...1/item360.html

https://www.kwm.com/en/de/knowledge/...ector-20200414
Appreciate 1
Karmic Man1996.00
      03-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #547
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

The Chinese Communist Party always wants their cut, a piece of the action... or they make it impossible to do business there.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 04:44 PM   #548
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
The Chinese Communist Party always wants their cut, a piece of the action... or they make it impossible to do business there.
It's got nothing to do with the COMMUNIST PARTY.

It's good business sense and many countries do it not just China; try Singapore or Indonesia, try opening a business in Dubai, but to name a few.

In Australia we pay a hefty tax on cars and we are not a communist country.

If you want to keep your people in front, you keep foreign ownership at a distance, simple.

Of course, there are many variables that come into play such as corruption and cronyism but that too is no different to US, Europe, or Australia.
MmmmmM22588.50
Tacoma944.50
      03-20-2021, 09:35 PM   #549
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I was not talking about Ferrari. I was talknig about companies that want to make business in China. Ferrari doesnt have that so Chinese burn them in different way. A $260k US spec Ferrari is sold in China for $750k.
To sell to the rest that are not super rich and appeal to the huge population in there you need to do what I have mentioned.
you can read all over if you want to.
There you go:

http://factsanddetails.com/china/cat...1/item360.html

https://www.kwm.com/en/de/knowledge/...ector-20200414
Well I was talking about Ferrari...right?

I am sure other industries in China have their own rules to be obliged by any foreign company. If they don't like it, don't go there and do business, right? But shit, money talks and if we talking about the China market, shit actually talks and smells bloody nice too to all the big fat greedy shareholders and top executives.

I personally dislike any totalitarian regime and it's hilarious to see all the wall street big dogs queuing up for the RMB dough while beating the democracy drum and turn a blind eye on anything that eats into their bottom line

Last edited by Karmic Man; 03-20-2021 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2709.00
      03-20-2021, 09:44 PM   #550
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It's got nothing to do with the COMMUNIST PARTY.

It's good business sense and many countries do it not just China; try Singapore or Indonesia, try opening a business in Dubai, but to name a few.

In Australia we pay a hefty tax on cars and we are not a communist country.

If you want to keep your people in front, you keep foreign ownership at a distance, simple.

Of course, there are many variables that come into play such as corruption and cronyism but that too is no different to US, Europe, or Australia.
I thought we sold our country already...not true?
Appreciate 1
Closed Thread