BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

07-19-2024, 12:27 AM   #1
Maxmil982
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 e60 535i xDrive

Is it ok to turn the tires to move the inner tie rods in and out?

I just finished changing both inner tie rods (I put the new inner and outer tie rods in at virtually the same length as the old ones, to keep the alignment pretty close). Now that it's back together the steering wheel is basically straight and the car drives straight, but while driving and making a turn, the steering is acting crazy. Its hard to describe but the steering feels loose and totally disconnected from the wheels. When I go to make a sharp turn, the wheel turns ok for the first revolution, but then after that, the steering wheel starts turning by itself the rest of the way. I just drove down the street and came back. I'll be getting an alignment in the morning. Does this sound like just an alignment issue?

The steering just feels way too off and I'm thinking something else is broken in the steering rack, because the alignment isnt that far off from before the repair. Only thing out of the ordinary that I did while changing the tie rods was pushing and pulling the tie rods all the way in and out about 5 or 6 times, on each side, during the repair. I'm wondering if that messed something up. There isnt any other symptons besides the steering being completely fked up. Anybody have any ideas?
Appreciate 0