BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Prius vs Hummer

Interesting article, can anyone validity the facts?

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188
      03-21-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
deltron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325xi Monaco Blue

This is pretty interesting. The author took a look at the bigger energy picture when it comes to the Prius.

At the same time, he is making the assumption that the logistics of moving that nickel is really expensive (energy wise). The nickel is being moved with other goods that is sharing the expense. Those good can includes essentials that seriously needed in Japan for their own sustainment purposes. So the nickel may just be hitching a ride.

The environmental damage at the mining plant can't be ignored though. That's just carelessness on the mining companies part.

I agree with the authors conclusion. A Scion xB would probably be better. Batteries are pretty toxic and are expensive/difficult to dispose of.
      03-22-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
esbezee92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego 328i Coupe

YES. this is great news. now whenever prius people bitch to me about how im ruining the environment ill just slap that in their face
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbezee92 View Post
YES. this is great news. now whenever prius people bitch to me about how im ruining the environment ill just slap that in their face
ive been doing that for years, i love revving my engine when one pulls up next to me just to get that disgusted look on their face "i never" type thing

that articles probably pretty inaccurate, but it does draw attention to how people dont actually look at the big picture

like the fully battery cars that get 100+ MPG and are sometimes advertised as "green" cars when they polute just as much (if not more than) other cars

internal combustian engines are so ineffecient though it makes me sad
      03-22-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

hmmm...how is it that a Hummer will last 300k miles and the prius only 100K??
The warranty on the battery is 10 years/100k; it doesnt necessarily mean that it would only run up til 100k.

IT seemed to me like they divided the cost per mile of the hummer by 3 since it supposedly lasts 3 times longer. If you multiply 1.95 by 3 it costs amost twice as much to drive a hummer than a Prius.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 01:30 AM   #6
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
hmmm...how is it that a Hummer will last 300k miles and the prius only 100K??
The warranty on the battery is 10 years/100k; it doesnt necessarily mean that it would only run up til 100k.

IT seemed to me like they divided the cost per mile of the hummer by 3 since it supposedly lasts 3 times longer. If you multiply 1.95 by 3 it costs amost twice as much to drive a hummer than a Prius.
thats not how cost per mile works, they factor in things like maintanence/gas/ value loss/insurance ECT

most of it ends up being how much the car loses value

335 is about 1$ a mile, civics and such are about 50cents
      03-22-2007, 01:31 AM   #7
jbake
OG
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

i bet the batteries on the prius cost an arm and a leg to replace when they get old
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 01:54 AM   #8
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
thats not how cost per mile works, they factor in things like maintanence/gas/ value loss/insurance ECT

most of it ends up being how much the car loses value

335 is about 1$ a mile, civics and such are about 50cents

Yeah but does will a Hummer outlast a Prius? I seriously doubt it.
They put the lifespan of the Hummer a 300k- 3 times that of the Prius. So if you put both their lifespans at 100k each, the hummer would cost more per mile than the prius. Again, this is based on my assumption (a pretty strong one too) that a Hummer costs more to maintain, loses more value, and sucks way more gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbake
i bet the batteries on the prius cost an arm and a leg to replace when they get old
The battery has individual cells so if one goes bad you would only have to replace one cell, not the entire battery. So in essence it shouldnt cost an arm and a leg.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 04:54 AM   #9
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

Sudbury, Ontario is in Canada, and ive seen this place in person, and yea, its really really devastated. When you drive on the road that leads to Sudbury, it all seems fine, green trees, grass, wind, water, children playing, etc...but once you enter a certain point on the road, it turns into trees that looks like ash, no grass, barren land

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0