BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #23
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I started my current job on 5/4/1998. I hate it. I have 1500 more days to go till I’m eligible to retire. Gotta stick it out.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2019, 04:11 PM   #24
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

I once signed up for a really fcked up medical study and I think I am fcked up for life lols. Got to say that was some hard earned money.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 05:00 PM   #25
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
I work in the medical field and enjoy helping people.

Life is too short to have a job (or multiple jobs) that you genuinely dislike. I'm not saying you have to love what you do, but the stress/anger of dreading to wake up in the morning to go to a job that makes you unhappy really has a negative impact on your overall health.

At the end of the day, our health is everything. Without it, we have nothing.

There are so many jobs and career paths out there that if you aren't happy with one, you'll probably find another that you enjoy more. With that being said, everything will have its benefits and downsides. You just have to weigh the pros and cons for your own unique situation.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 3
2000cs3433.00
King Rudi13147.00
shay2nak1070.00
      03-27-2019, 07:33 AM   #26
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I don't want to change this into a generation war, but I think corporate America changing has a lot to do with why people are unhappy at their jobs. I talked about this with my grandfather who retired in 2008 from a state job which he worked at for over 38 years.

Gone are the days where you could start at a company, and progress there over a long career until you retired. Now companies just want a body to do the work for as cheap as possible. Very few invest in their employees, and part of that is employees know that if they don't like their job, it is often easier to jump ship for a better position.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 3
      03-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #27
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I don't want to change this into a generation war, but I think corporate America changing has a lot to do with why people are unhappy at their jobs. I talked about this with my grandfather who retired in 2008 from a state job which he worked at for over 38 years.

Gone are the days where you could start at a company, and progress there over a long career until you retired. Now companies just want a body to do the work for as cheap as possible. Very few invest in their employees, and part of that is employees know that if they don't like their job, it is often easier to jump ship for a better position.
My company, and in general my industry (utilities), is still the old way - although younger employees are not patient and will jump for faster progression. We have several employees with 30+ years of service, and a few with 40+. I’m coming up on 9, after working for many other companies in a variety of industries.

A big part of what changed is the retirement plans and health benefits. Once upon a time there was real value in these and they “held” employees (which allowed for managers to treat people badly). Once the DB plans were ended and replaced by portable and less valuable 401(k) and other plans, the value and hold disappeared. Employees became even more mobile, which requires us to treat them better, but that is insufficient if they are ambitious and we don’t have an opening.

The other big change is longevity, which means if you retire at age 55-65 you will likely take on some other work if only to stay busy because you’re likely to live another 25-35 years - in other words you retire having only lived 2/3 of your life.

I have good days more than bad, but it is work, so every day isn’t going to be super fun. Stress can be intense, but part of surviving to this age and career stage (executive officer) is learning to manage stress. I count the months until I can retire (meet my minimum retirement savings goal- I don’t have a DB plan), but I likely will continue to work in the same job for several more years, or do something related.
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410798.50
King Rudi13147.00
      03-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #28
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I'm fairly happy with my job. It's one of the best companies in a crappy industry. I go and try and have fun use it as a means to an end and dont worry about it too much.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3433.00
      03-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #29
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
My company, and in general my industry (utilities), is still the old way - although younger employees are not patient and will jump for faster progression. We have several employees with 30+ years of service, and a few with 40+. I’m coming up on 9, after working for many other companies in a variety of industries.

A big part of what changed is the retirement plans and health benefits. Once upon a time there was real value in these and they “held” employees (which allowed for managers to treat people badly). Once the DB plans were ended and replaced by portable and less valuable 401(k) and other plans, the value and hold disappeared. Employees became even more mobile, which requires us to treat them better, but that is insufficient if they are ambitious and we don’t have an opening.

The other big change is longevity, which means if you retire at age 55-65 you will likely take on some other work if only to stay busy because you’re likely to live another 25-35 years - in other words you retire having only lived 2/3 of your life.

I have good days more than bad, but it is work, so every day isn’t going to be super fun. Stress can be intense, but part of surviving to this age and career stage (executive officer) is learning to manage stress. I count the months until I can retire (meet my minimum retirement savings goal- I don’t have a DB plan), but I likely will continue to work in the same job for several more years, or do something related.
Exactly. My grandfather retired at 55 earning a pension that was 90% of his salary. He stayed with the state so long because of the good benefits. If I started in a similar position as that today, I get worse benefits than I have with my current company, and zero pension. The mediocre starting salary and scarce raises of positions like that simply don't make sense anymore without the benefits.

Appreciate 3
2000cs3433.00
King Rudi13147.00
RickFLM410798.50
      03-27-2019, 08:18 AM   #30
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I'm fairly happy with my gig, Technical Writer. Of course, it took me 9 years, multiple jobs, and a few moves over the years to get the gig I have now.

I work for a HUGE tech company, if you've ever purchased something for your better from Williams Sonoma, they run our software.

Salary is pretty good for someone with a Journalism degree in Oklahoma. Work from home 2-3 days per week, I'm in the office right now in shorts, flops, and a Mastodon Tshirt, my benefits and allow me to have my girlfriend on them as a "domestic partner" which is good since she is a contractor and thus no benefits, and she has a very expensive, debilitating chronic disease.

However, we aren't really a fan of the politics in Oklahoma, so we are hoping in a few years to move. But even with an appropriate raise, I'm not sure I want to pay the higher living costs of somewhere like Denver or Austin.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #31
C2YT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

I guess I can bring a different perspective here.

Recently graduated in April 2018 with my BBA in Marketing. I have been "interning" at the same company since May 2017. I basically have a full-time load with no benefits, sick days, vacation days, etc. Needless to say it has been a lot of waiting.

We have been in the process of acquiring another company for 5.4B since Feb, 2018. There has been a hiring freeze since then. Multiple cuts, etc etc. Being the low man on the totem pole I have easily been passed over.

April, start of Q2, is finally opening up some positions. Hopefully this last year of waiting will be worth it!
      03-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #32
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2YT View Post
I guess I can bring a different perspective here.

Recently graduated in April 2018 with my BBA in Marketing. I have been "interning" at the same company since May 2017. I basically have a full-time load with no benefits, sick days, vacation days, etc. Needless to say it has been a lot of waiting.

We have been in the process of acquiring another company for 5.4B since Feb, 2018. There has been a hiring freeze since then. Multiple cuts, etc etc. Being the low man on the totem pole I have easily been passed over.

April, start of Q2, is finally opening up some positions. Hopefully this last year of waiting will be worth it!
As a marketing person, you should be doing much more than waiting (and I presume you are). See post #9 here: https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1597910
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13147.00
      03-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #33
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Here is my perspective:

First, when I don’t like my job or the near-term outlook, or the city I’m in, I think of the men and women in our military who go to unpleasant places, live in poor conditions, take on difficult tasks and receive low pay. I admire these people and appreciate this sacrifice among the many they are called to make. And their perseverance and success reminds me that I can tolerate my much better conditions at least as long as a standard military tour. They also teach me that I can go anywhere in any country for a good opportunity, and come back better for it.

Second, I think back a couple of generations to the couple who had a shop in their neighborhood, maybe a tailor or market, and lived above it, raised a family there. Lived their entire adult lives like that, working daily, rarely (never) a vacation, no retirement. Worked until they couldn’t or died (often both). My career and retirement prospects are much better than that, and I am thankful for that.

Third, I have some investments and often contemplate others - art, collectibles, stocks, bonds? But none of them and all of them together do not produce returns comparable to my best asset, which is me (and my job/career). So I invest more time in me: learning, networking, striving for success, than in anything else.

Yes I have bad days, I’ve made plenty of career mistakes, I have regrets (too few to mention), but I’ve got it pretty good, I’m thankful for the opportunities and successes, and I work hard to make each day better for me, my family and my employer. This attitude is critical to me, and I wish I’d developed it earlier in my life.
Appreciate 6
King Rudi13147.00
nyalpine907375.50
Run Silent15127.00
      03-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #34
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
As a marketing person, you should be doing much more than waiting (and I presume you are).
This.

The company is acquiring another one for $5.4B and there is a hiring freeze? Doesn't sound like it is being run very well. They are trying to get you to do as much for your current pay for as long as possible.

I saw this with claims interns at my first job at an insurance company. They would get interns in and pay them basically minimum wage claiming they would get trained for a full-time position down the road. Each one was told that there weren't any positions open yet, meanwhile they were hiring/training new claims associates 20-25 at a time for 3 month periods.

Not saying this is exactly what is happening at your job, but I would start looking elsewhere. If you come back with an offer from another company a position at yours might "suddenly" open up.

Appreciate 1
2000cs3433.00
      03-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #35
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I dont know if anyone is truly "happy" with their job, cause otherwise, its not really a job.

The best thing you can do is either realize that there are going to be plus/minus with every job and make the most of it. Find a place with coworkers you like. That is the key, at least for me, to being overall happy about my job.

My wife is the same way; every job shes ever had shes hated it. She would never be happy with a job.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      03-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #36
C2YT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This.

The company is acquiring another one for $5.4B and there is a hiring freeze? Doesn't sound like it is being run very well. They are trying to get you to do as much for your current pay for as long as possible.

I saw this with claims interns at my first job at an insurance company. They would get interns in and pay them basically minimum wage claiming they would get trained for a full-time position down the road. Each one was told that there weren't any positions open yet, meanwhile they were hiring/training new claims associates 20-25 at a time for 3 month periods.

Not saying this is exactly what is happening at your job, but I would start looking elsewhere. If you come back with an offer from another company a position at yours might "suddenly" open up.
Yes, been doing much more than waiting. Referring to post #9, I am not your typical Gen Z as I work for everything I have and always put forth the extra effort. Grew up in a blue collar family so I think that has really helped mold my work ethic. Also working on my Master's of Integrated Marketing Communications right now as well.

I will say, the experience I have gained is invaluable. I am paid pretty well for an intern, especially in my area. Throughout my time here I have been able to interact with the traditional marketing team, product management, program management, promotions, online training, instructor led training and more. I constantly ask for more responsibility and opportunities to learn the business.

Waiting on HR to finalize my offer so there is some good news.

Last edited by C2YT; 03-27-2019 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 2
2000cs3433.00
      03-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #37
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I am happy to be the good boss, that treats people the way I like to be treated.
I've commended you in the past for this but I can reiterate or express enough how important this. If your employees don't thank you then allow me to thank you for them.

Quote:

This.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #38
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Find a place with coworkers you like. That is the key, at least for me, to being overall happy about my job.
This has always been an issue with me in the past. It seems that if I have a job that I truly enjoy with co-workers that I like or at least are professional enough to work well together, the money isn't there. If the money is where I need it to be, I either hate the job or the people I work with. Just part of it I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #39
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2YT View Post
Yes, been doing much more than waiting. Referring to post #9, I am not your typical Gen Z as I work for everything I have and always put forth the extra effort. Grew up in a blue collar family so I think that has really helped mold my work ethic. Also working on my Master's of Integrated Marketing Communications right now as well.

I will say, the experience I have gained is invaluable. I am paid pretty well for an intern, especially in my area. Throughout my time here I have been able to interact with the traditional marketing team, product management, program management, promotions, online training, instructor led training and more. I constantly ask for more responsibility and opportunities to learn the business.

Waiting on HR to finalize my offer so there is some good news.
Once the acquisition closes, there will be an inevitable consolidation of functions and some major G&A cost reductions. That may be part of the reason for cost containment now - avoid expanding costs that must later be cut. Typically, great opportunities arise for some in these situations, but re-locations, re-assignments or lost positions affect many others. Being young and having your stated work ethic should work strongly in your favor, as older, more experience (and expensive) workers are typical casualties.
C2YT68.00
      03-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #40
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
This has always been an issue with me in the past. It seems that if I have a job that I truly enjoy with co-workers that I like or at least are professional enough to work well together, the money isn't there. If the money is where I need it to be, I either hate the job or the people I work with. Just part of it I suppose.
ive found that chasing the money has never worked out. There tends to be a reason that those companies are throwing money at people.

I left my 1st company for money (nearly 50% more after the 1st company started to cut per diem) and spent 2 years hating going to work with the 2nd company due to the people i worked with/for.

Left the 2nd company for the 3rd and a 20% pay cut cause I had heard great things and ive never been happier. In the end, ill eventually get up the level of company 2s pay, but i feel I have added 10 years back on to my life by not dealing with the BS daily.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      03-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #41
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
ive found that chasing the money has never worked out. There tends to be a reason that those companies are throwing money at people.

I left my 1st company for money (nearly 50% more after the 1st company started to cut per diem) and spent 2 years hating going to work with the 2nd company due to the people i worked with/for.

Left the 2nd company for the 3rd and a 20% pay cut cause I had heard great things and ive never been happier. In the end, ill eventually get up the level of company 2s pay, but i feel I have added 10 years back on to my life by not dealing with the BS daily.
Agreed. It’s a bonus if the money comes with it but having a good team, boss, company, etc. makes a huge difference. I’m happy where I’m at right now and like what I do. We do happy hour often with people and just try to have fun and joke around often.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      03-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #42
C2YT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Once the acquisition closes, there will be an inevitable consolidation of functions and some major G&A cost reductions. That may be part of the reason for cost containment now - avoid expanding costs that must later be cut. Typically, great opportunities arise for some in these situations, but re-locations, re-assignments or lost positions affect many others. Being young and having your stated work ethic should work strongly in your favor, as older, more experience (and expensive) workers are typical casualties.
Yes, I sure hope more opportunities will arise. We have now closed on the acquisition but they are aligning the two companies, then splitting into two separate companies. It is quite an ordeal.

I like what I do and who I work with. I just wish I could be doing more because I know what I am capable of. Should have some good news this week or next week.
      03-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #43
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Love my job. State job, good pay, easy work days, so so benefits, full pension.

Downside is I want to move but I don't want to leave this good job. Other downside is weird hours and no holidays off.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #44
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I dont know if anyone is truly "happy" with their job, cause otherwise, its not really a job.

The best thing you can do is either realize that there are going to be plus/minus with every job and make the most of it. Find a place with coworkers you like. That is the key, at least for me, to being overall happy about my job.

My wife is the same way; every job shes ever had shes hated it. She would never be happy with a job.
Mike Trout.