BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Who is not happy with their current job?

Let's hear it.

I started working at my current job approximately 9 months ago. I took it because it offered better pay, benefits and job security. However, it sucks. I'm pretty good at it , but I have to deal with the public and investigate their concerns and the commute is horrible as well. Lets not even talk about the caseload.

I'm going to transfer closer to home and find a different job within the organization, but it sucks in the meanwhile. How are you guys doing?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Love what I do for work. Not a fan of 90% of the other people inside the building. I live 12 minutes from work and home every night. The amount of work I do versus the amount that I get paid makes me feel like I am robbing them, but then I remember I get paid for my value not the amount of work performed.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Everything is relative. There are pluses and minuses to every job. My current job can be stressful at times, but there are lots of good things about it. For the most part the good outweighs the bad.

My job right out of college was doing insurance claims. TERRIBLE job. The commute sucked (1 hour 45 minutes on the way home due to traffic) the people I worked with were horrible, the company was terrible, and the job itself just sucked because of the nature of the business and people I dealt with. I actually got so stressed I lost weight (I'm thin already). I met a good friend there who I still see regularly (he doesn't work there anymore either) and both of us said you couldn't pay us enough to work there. The position had a 50% turnover every year across the company.

I also worked as a contractor for a state agency. More relaxed environment work-wise, but the politics were quite the downer, and got annoying really quickly. No job is perfect, you have to decide what is important and if it is manageable.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 3
      03-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Alfisti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Tricky question.

Really like my job, been with the company 15 years, commute is under 10 minutes, it's the second income in the household (wife is a lawyer) so the fact I work very short hours (9-430pm) and come and go as i please so also great flexibility so i can cover the kids needs and the mrs can bill rather than get tied down with kids.

So what's the issue? I wish it paid a bit more, I haven't had a raise in 4+ years and I know money is tight here and a 6 figure salary for the hours I described above is nothing to complain about but yeah, would like a bump.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

I like what I do (taxes). Obviously there are some boring parts, but generally speaking it is actually quite interesting.

I work for myself, so I'm still torn on how much I really like my boss, some days I'm certain he's an idiot, other days he's a genius and there isn't a lot of middle ground.

He does let me write off certain, ummm, gifts...of bottles of Scotch and dinners, so there's some redeeming qualities there.
Appreciate 5
King Rudi13147.00
SakhirM410783.00
      03-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Not me, but I did observe a guy last night.

He probably WALKS 20+ miles a day. He has to wear a huge straw hat to protect himself from the sun. All day long he's hustling to find people to buy his product. When I saw him, a dog was yapping at him the whole time he was walking. At $1.50/eloté he can't be making much cash.

HAPPIEST guy I have every encountered on the street. Even if I walk down the street with my eyes cast down, he always says something like "hola" and it GENUINE.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      03-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

My somewhat partime career (military reserves) has its benefits and drawbacks, but overall has been pretty good for me.

The school job I currently have used to be great with flexibility and pay during the summer and weekend work while I am a student but it has taken a downturn recently. Owner has been cutting hours to most of the employees to favor a single employee (former but now recent hire) with a hourly rate of almost double what we make for the exact same work. It's not a career and zero progression so I really don't care. Finishing my degree is more important.
      03-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Currently work for a smaller company and enjoy what I do. The pay isn't where I'd like it to be but I get my hands into something new almost everyday and I'm constantly learning new things, so that's the trade off. May soak up as much knowledge as I can and move along in a year or 2.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:14 AM   #9
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I don't love my job but I don't hate it either (corporate oil/gas). It's easy to me, and has paid me well, but it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life. It's given me a good life the last 8+ years though so I have no legitimate complaints.

I started working a second job on the side for a start-up/tech company about 6 months ago. Trying to get that to take off into a full-time thing because it's fun, has unlimited potential, and I get more out of it than I do in my office job.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #10
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Funny timing. I just accepted a job offer with a new company this morning because I am unhappy with my current job.

Been at my current place for a little over seven years. Started as an engineer and currently manage the plant. It's the job I wanted and the pay is as expected for the job title in a subject that I deeply enjoy (industrial power transmission OEM). Problem is I'm fried working 60+ hour weeks and having to perform the tasks that should be completed by people I would manage. Those 60+ hours are chewed up doing the day-to-day and leave little room to accomplish what it is I'm actually getting paid for because headcount is a concern. Of which I can quantify that I work 150%+ more than I get paid. Too many people work here that don't know what they're doing and in a very inefficient way with management that enjoys talking about strategy but rarely acting upon what's been said.

Job security is immense for me specifically with my current employer, but we're stagnant with no real company growth specific to my facility (subsidiary of global company with mine facilitating everything for the North American market). We haven't increased our market share with our annual revenue flat-lined over the past however many years. I feel I've met terminal velocity in my personal career growth and knowledge of the product with the next position being managing director - something that I'm not interested in with this specific company - and would not see for years. I can't sit on my hands for that long with my young age being prime for career goals.

Enter new company with a role that pays a decent chunk more (plus overtime) with better direct and indirect benefits with less responsibility, but a great stepping stone to great opportunities within the company. The type of place that I'd be happy to retire with and never possibly meet that "terminal velocity" as there are such a variety of internal modalities.

Taking a leap and stepping out of my comfort zone, but I'm hoping that it results in some of my hair growing back on my head and more time spent with the family while still putting more in my pocket. Here goes nothing...
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #11
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Business owner and I have a love/hate relationship with my job.

But overall I do it because it makes me happy although I sometimes miss the corporate life and not having to deal with certain business owner issues. However, I am more satisfied at the end of the day that i make my money for the time/effort I put in, not someone else.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 1
EdM53825.50
      03-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #12
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I am looking for another position within the department I work for. My job is crazy boring and there is more money to be made.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 12:21 PM   #13
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I am pretty happy with my current job considering pay and benefits. I can easily get 50% more pay, but would have to sacrifice my personal/vacation time. A lot of places offer only 2 weeks of vacation time and want you to work 60h+ a week.

The only negative is that they limited (restricted) our personal trading which has a negative impact on my income. This will be the reason why I eventually leave - especially if the volatility increases..

You work to make money to afford things that you like and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #14
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Funny timing. I just accepted a job offer with a new company this morning because I am unhappy with my current job.

Been at my current place for a little over seven years. Started as an engineer and currently manage the plant. It's the job I wanted and the pay is as expected for the job title in a subject that I deeply enjoy (industrial power transmission OEM). Problem is I'm fried working 60+ hour weeks and having to perform the tasks that should be completed by people I would manage. Those 60+ hours are chewed up doing the day-to-day and leave little room to accomplish what it is I'm actually getting paid for because headcount is a concern. Of which I can quantify that I work 150%+ more than I get paid. Too many people work here that don't know what they're doing and in a very inefficient way with management that enjoys talking about strategy but rarely acting upon what's been said.

Job security is immense for me specifically with my current employer, but we're stagnant with no real company growth specific to my facility (subsidiary of global company with mine facilitating everything for the North American market). We haven't increased our market share with our annual revenue flat-lined over the past however many years. I feel I've met terminal velocity in my personal career growth and knowledge of the product with the next position being managing director - something that I'm not interested in with this specific company - and would not see for years. I can't sit on my hands for that long with my young age being prime for career goals.

Enter new company with a role that pays a decent chunk more (plus overtime) with better direct and indirect benefits with less responsibility, but a great stepping stone to great opportunities within the company. The type of place that I'd be happy to retire with and never possibly meet that "terminal velocity" as there are such a variety of internal modalities.

Taking a leap and stepping out of my comfort zone, but I'm hoping that it results in some of my hair growing back on my head and more time spent with the family while still putting more in my pocket. Here goes nothing...
I'll say this. Sounds like (as I'd expect from an engineer) you've given this a whole lot more thought and planning as opposed to another member on here who left a stable window installing job to sell marijuana at a dispensary...who, as you may or may not expect...totally "forgot" they hired him when he showed up for work...and therefore wound up letting him go a few weeks later. That sounded disastrous.

Kudos to you - hope it works out!
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      03-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #15
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I'll say this. Sounds like (as I'd expect from an engineer) you've given this a whole lot more thought and planning as opposed to another member on here who left a stable window installing job to sell marijuana at a dispensary...who, as you may or may not expect...totally "forgot" they hired him when he showed up for work...and therefore wound up letting him go a few weeks later. That sounded disastrous.

Kudos to you - hope it works out!
Ouch! No, this has been pretty strategic in fact. The process that lead to this morning has been ongoing for months. A bit of a pain, but hopefully with the best end result. Time will tell. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #16
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

This guy.....

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/03...ohnson-reacts/
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
qba335i389.50
UncleWede17809.50
      03-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #17
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Life is too short to be in a job or a relationship in which you are not happy. If you arent happy, move on and make yourself happy! Easier said than done, I know, and considering I have a spouse and a job that I love perhaps I'm oversimplifying. But really, don't stick around any situation that isn't great.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13147.00
P111525.00
      03-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #18
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
Business owner and I have a love/hate relationship with my job.

But overall I do it because it makes me happy although I sometimes miss the corporate life and not having to deal with certain business owner issues. However, I am more satisfied at the end of the day that i make my money for the time/effort I put in, not someone else.
Another business owner chiming in. I would much rather deal with business owner issues than work the corporate life. At least we are in control of our destiny. I have seen so many people screwed by Corporate America. Companies get bought, sold, they relocate, downsize. No thanks. One of my customers was bought by an out of state company. They maintained a local office. Corporate offered some local people jobs. People sold their houses, relocated and as the moving vans were pulling up to the new house out of state, they were told they were being laid off. F&cking really? You didn't know before hand. I'd flip.

I enjoy my business. For the most part I enjoy coming to work each day. I am happy that I can provide jobs to people. I am happy to be the good boss, that treats people the way I like to be treated.
EdM53825.50
      03-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #19
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I have been self employed (CPA - Corp accounting / SEC advisor, not tax) going on 19 years now. Obviously I like it a lot but like anything there are pros and cons. I like it even more now that my wife went back to work and got us health insurance so I can skip the nearly $1,700 monthly payments to Florida Blue starting April 1.

I have come across many people at clients who hate their job, boss, company or some combination thereof. When they leave for greener pastures, I often am able to add a new client. Churn works.
      03-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #20
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

L O V E my J O B! I get to sit here and BS on the forums with you guys for like 8 hours!

on the "I hate part" some of my coworkers just need to kill themselves!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      03-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #21
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Tricky question.

Really like my job, been with the company 15 years, commute is under 10 minutes, it's the second income in the household (wife is a lawyer) so the fact I work very short hours (9-430pm) and come and go as i please so also great flexibility so i can cover the kids needs and the mrs can bill rather than get tied down with kids.

So what's the issue? I wish it paid a bit more, I haven't had a raise in 4+ years and I know money is tight here and a 6 figure salary for the hours I described above is nothing to complain about but yeah, would like a bump.
15 years? At my last job I was there for 7 years, by the 5th I was feeling like 'part of furniture'!

However, what I like about my current job is the 30-min commute.
      03-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #22
Alfisti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
15 years? At my last job I was there for 7 years, by the 5th I was feeling like 'part of furniture'!

However, what I like about my current job is the 30-min commute.
When i started there were four of us, now 68. So yeah I am part of the furniture but i outlined above why i am I. Toronto is worse than LA for traffic and the commute issue is a massive one.
Appreciate 0