BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #419
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Some lead what can appear a very low quality life. You should have some respect (otherwise someone might underestimate your life quality as well as find you've had enough quantity too).
In all seriousness, I truly hope they do. So I'm not taking lightly the decision, nor am I making a decision I wouldn't want someone to make for me as well, based on my valuation of quality of life.

Yesterday I went for a run, I ran past this couple, struggling along the sidewalk, one in a wheelchair. I put myself in his position and would be pissed/envious of the guy running by.
When my mom couldn't walk any more, I would tell her I was running for her. The vision I had after she passed was of her, in a new place with her freaky new spirit/animal friend that would land on my mom's toe, then mom would flex her leg to bring it up to eye level, and to show it off to me. My interpretation of her heavenly reward was the release of pain, the ability to again move.

Please, if you have more insight/ideas to share, I welcome hearing them.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #420
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
May I ask whether you knew he would have this condition before he was born?
Sure. His situation was not expected. His mother suffered a complete placenta abruption.

By the time we made it to the hospital, he had been without oxygen for 60 minutes or longer. Had I not left work earlier than normal that day, it would have been longer. Aside from that, I still almost lost them both at the time.

But by then, the damage was done and irreversible.
      05-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #421
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Some lead what can appear a very low quality life. You should have some respect (otherwise someone might underestimate your life quality as well as find you've had enough quantity too).

Death is inevitable. Deciding for others looks rather selfish by itself.

I'm aware of that. But I disagree with the last part in some cases. Deciding to prolong agony that will lead to only a slight bit more time for one's own benefit is as selfish as one can be in my eyes.

Now maybe I painted my prior comment with too wide of a brush stroke, but I meant it only for certain/special circumstances.
      05-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #422
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Sleepy kitty
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
King Rudi13152.00
Rmtt8206.00
No one1029.50
Maynard3804.50
      05-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #423
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Hamilton the beast goes in for shots and a hair cut on Monday. I understand that none of you know the personality of the orange, hairy, Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde-esque, psychopath that allows me to live in my house with him; but I'm considering taking bets on A.) How badly he F's up the groomer and B.) Length of time it takes he or she to determine that Hamilton needs to be sedated for said groomery.

For real, this gentle giant turns into the cat equivalent of the Tasmanian Devil when he sees a brush and I saw first hand what he did to the last groomer; not to mention Hamilton is the reason she no longer grooms cats. I almost want to take the day off work to watch. Should be better than most PPV boxing.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      05-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #424
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Do you WARN them about Ham-manian devil before booking the appointment? Who does the shots?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      05-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #425
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Figured I would post up one of our previous pets. He was an Artic Wolf / Husky "Hybrid" and although I don't know the %...he was huge. Weighed almost 100lbs by 1 year of age.

I was looking through some old photos, and found it.

Great dog with a very mild temperament even though he looked pretty menacing.
Attached Images

05-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #426
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Do you WARN them about Ham-manian devil before booking the appointment? Who does the shots?
Digging Ham-manian devil!! Keeping that one! Each of my friends has a different nick-name for him. Ham-bone, bro-ham, ham & cheese, ham-hock, etc.

The vet does the shots and the grooming, so it's a one stop shop, but it's two different individuals. This will be the first time he's been groomed at the vet though. Boy are they in for an exciting visit. Honestly though, it's a vet clinic; I'm sure they see it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Figured I would post up one of our previous pets. He was an Artic Wolf / Husky "Hybrid" and although I don't know the %...he was huge. Weighed almost 100lbs by 1 year of age.

I was looking through some old photos, and found it.

Great dog with a very mild temperament even though he looked pretty menacing.
Beautiful animal!!!

Last edited by King Rudi; 05-29-2019 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      05-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #427
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Someone got a haircut today!
Attached Images

No one1029.50
      05-30-2019, 10:18 AM   #428
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

She peed last night! NORMALLY, that would be a cause for concern, possibly looking for a trainer to stop such actions. But when she is coming out of spinal surgery, it means she is a few steps closer to coming home!!!

My son showed up to visit about 30 minutes after I had left. The Dr. went thru the CT scan, and demonstrated the basics of how we were going to need to express her bladder, but he said she was still not full so he couldn't actually demonstrate. My son texted us all "Happy dog who just peed on me"

Maybe she DID understand what I was telling her that she needs to be able to pee before she can come home.
Appreciate 7
No one1029.50
King Rudi13152.00
cmyx6go15561.50
Rmtt8206.00
upstatedoc7555.50
DETRoadster11446.00
Maynard3804.50
      05-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #429
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
The vet does the shots and the grooming, so it's a one stop shop,
Video forthcoming, or do we have to wait for AFV? At least a story?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      05-30-2019, 12:56 PM   #430
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Video forthcoming, or do we have to wait for AFV? At least a story?
At least a story....I hope. I'll definitely get pics of his fancy-ass lion haircut posted up come Monday.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      05-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #431
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:

Please, if you have more insight/ideas to share, I welcome hearing them.
First off, good for you to spend the $$ on your loved ones.

I have almost 2 decades working in rehab, and the last 10 with SCI - recovering from spinal surgery almost always sucks, but it sounds like it was a fairly routine procedure if they gave you 80% odds. Most of those types of procedure will end up with big functional improvements, definitely worth it at the 3-month mark or so (I DK dog healing times well).

I am confused by some of the posters here, but I personally believe that animals deserve the kindness of euthanasia if/when they are just in agony or unable to have any quality of life (and being in a paralyzed or incontinent state would usually count for that). I'd hope to have the same options myself, and if I couldn't talk, I'd be glad that my friends stepped in to do it for me.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 11:21 PM   #432
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

SoftPaws came in today and the only cat the really effed me up was Laylee (White cat) the other two was calm but was growling under breath a bit but didn't mind too much! very easy to apply as all it was is filling 1/3 of the cap with adhesive than slide over nail and hold for a few seconds. overall after I put them on they seem to not even notice they have them on. they still scratch here and there but they don't act any different before the SoftPaws.

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 4
Rmtt8206.00
upstatedoc7555.50
DETRoadster11446.00
King Rudi13152.00
      05-31-2019, 04:59 AM   #433
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
SoftPaws came in today and the only cat the really effed me up was Laylee (White cat) the other two was calm but was growling under breath a bit but didn't mind too much! very easy to apply as all it was is filling 1/3 of the cap with adhesive than slide over nail and hold for a few seconds. overall after I put them on they seem to not even notice they have them on. they still scratch here and there but they don't act any different before the SoftPaws.

Nice....Like I said...we have used them in the past with great results. After awhile, all but 1 continued to scratch at items we didn't want it to. But the other ones kind of learned (If you can train a cat?).

Kudos to you...my wife put them on as I wanted no part of it at as at the time, we had a Maine Coon that was massive and looked liked it could rip you to shreds.
      05-31-2019, 07:14 AM   #434
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Nice....Like I said...we have used them in the past with great results. After awhile, all but 1 continued to scratch at items we didn't want it to. But the other ones kind of learned (If you can train a cat?).

Kudos to you...my wife put them on as I wanted no part of it at as at the time, we had a Maine Coon that was massive and looked liked it could rip you to shreds.
Came home this morning from work and I checked all 3 of them and none of the caps came off. Just watching them they don't seem to notice them. That's good! Now the wife is ecstatic cause she can now furnish the house without worrying about the cats scratching her new furniture. I don't think I will have issues replacing them when they fall off since it wasn't too bad putting them on. Really easy honestly
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      05-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #435
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 8
Joekerr7926.00
upstatedoc7555.50
Rmtt8206.00
King Rudi13152.00
No one1029.50
N55135i269.00
      05-31-2019, 02:08 PM   #436
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Came home this morning from work and I checked all 3 of them and none of the caps came off. Just watching them they don't seem to notice them. That's good! Now the wife is ecstatic cause she can now furnish the house without worrying about the cats scratching her new furniture. I don't think I will have issues replacing them when they fall off since it wasn't too bad putting them on. Really easy honestly
Awesome! Glad they worked out.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      05-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #437
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
She peed last night! NORMALLY, that would be a cause for concern, possibly looking for a trainer to stop such actions. But when she is coming out of spinal surgery, it means she is a few steps closer to coming home!!!

My son showed up to visit about 30 minutes after I had left. The Dr. went thru the CT scan, and demonstrated the basics of how we were going to need to express her bladder, but he said she was still not full so he couldn't actually demonstrate. My son texted us all "Happy dog who just peed on me"

Maybe she DID understand what I was telling her that she needs to be able to pee before she can come home.
We never could express Sophie's bladder after spinal surgery. She had feeling in her back end but no control so the bladder would just fill up and start to leak out. Lots of messes those first couple days after surgery. All contained since she was on strict crate rest. We got really good about changing out crate pads and blankets. We finally resorted to ordering some diapers for her off Amazon but by the time they showed up 3 days later she had regained the ability to hold it and then go under her own control.

Good luck! Look for the small victories. Is he/she just little better today than yesterday? The tail is a great indicator. Over the course of 3 weeks post op, Sophie went from no tail control (it just hung there) to a little flick at the base, a little lift, a little more life, then a slight wag to the side. Painfully slow going but it was a great day by day measuring tool for progress.

1 week post-op she could sit up but not stand.

2 weeks post op she could stand but her back legs would slide out from under her

4 weeks post op she took her first walk around the block

Last edited by DETRoadster; 05-31-2019 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
No one1029.50
      05-31-2019, 02:41 PM   #438
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Alright - so a dilemma and could use some recommendations.

Backstory. We have one cat. A purebred Norwegian Forest Cat we paid well over a thousand dollars for. He doesn't get to go outside, other than occasionally on the back screened in porch. Recently, a wild cat has been coming by. They seem to chat to each other and generally really get along from across the screen. Sniff, rub, etc.

This cat has two notable attributes. First, it is one of the sweetest cats I've ever come across. Started feeding it and after a few times it took right to me and eventually my daughter. Will climb right up on your lap, flop over and go to sleep. So super cool cat. Second, it is the mangiest cat I've ever seen. Both ears are banged up and droop over, patches of fur missing, multiple ticks, one eye doesn't open.

So, we've decided that we might like to keep this cat but are unsure of how to sort it out. The plan would be to take it to our vet and get it looked over, all the shots done, flea and tick meds and so forth. Cost will be around $200. Would need to be fixed as well, so another $100 or so for that. I don't really want to spend the money if the cat and our cat won't get along, but I don't want the two cats interacting until I can confirm no feline AIDS, etc. So I figure I'm gonna be out $200 regardless and I will either have another cat or will have done a good deed for a wild cat. My daughter has already named it.

So - the dilemma - how to get this thing to the vet. It only really comes by in the evening and obviously the vet isn't open then. It is pretty docile so I don't think I would have a problem getting it into a cat carrier to take to the vet, but I don't want to leave it in the carrier overnight to take in the morning. My plan was to just bring it into the back porch overnight and then put it in the carrier in the morning, but the wife is adamant about that being a no-go, as she is worried it will tear up the screen to get out in the middle of the night.

So - that being said - how the heck do I get this cat to come by in the morning, specifically on a Saturday - to get it in the cat carrier, or how to I 'store' the cat over night to take it to the vet in the morning.

Ideas?
The only thing I would recommend would be leaving it in the carrier over night. I agree with your wife on the destruction of said screen not to mention whatever it critters it may bring in to the screened in porch as well.

The overnight stay in the carrier may not be ideal, but it is only temporary and for one evening. Worth it in my opinion.

Btw, that's a migty big heart you have there. I'm currently dealing with the same situation.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
Run Silent15127.00
      05-31-2019, 02:56 PM   #439
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
The only thing I would recommend would be leaving it in the carrier over night. I agree with your wife on the destruction of said screen not to mention whatever it critters it may bring in to the screened in porch as well.

The overnight stay in the carrier may not be ideal, but it is only temporary and for one evening. Worth it in my opinion.

Btw, that's a migty big heart you have there. I'm currently dealing with the same situation.
I agree. It's temporary, but the cat will benefit in the long run even if he doesn't think so at first!

I'm the guy that has the same cat breed as you do. When we took in the newest one....a Maine Coone, they did not get along right away. So we kept the new cat upstairs, and our Norwegian downstairs. Over time, they basically started getting along. But the Maine Coone was so laid back....he accepted his role as the beta and they now get along great aside from the odd temperamental day where the roles switch?
King Rudi13152.00
      05-31-2019, 03:39 PM   #440
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Okay - so both you and Now_Rudi agree to leave it in the carrier overnight.

So the next question - obviously he is going to piss or shit in there throughout the night, I don't imagine he could hold it that long. I feel pretty bad about leaving him in that overnight and not sure how to sort out cleaning it and/or him before bringing him to my vet.

Hate to be that guy coming in "so yeah, here is a cat, yeah - please ignore that he is covered in feces - can you help him?"
Put in some pee pads. You can always take one for the team and set an alarm to change the pads out during the night at least once. Plus getting him out for even just a few minutes while doing that would comfort him.

Just limit his food intake before crating him, and only have water available.

It's just a minor inconvenience, but will score major points with your daughter!
King Rudi13152.00