BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #45
tim99ws6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
After using my buddy's Husky (UGH! Problematic and leaked so badly I got more water on myself than the garage floor) and looking at my budget, I'm sort of leaning towards a Karcher-- seems a reasonable compromise.

I'm more or less pressure washer illiterate, so a few questions (and +/- $300 is probably around the maximum I'd like to spend). Use will be occasional siding wash (two stories), spiders under the eaves, Trex/concrete cleaning, and of course (and most importantly) washing my M2C.

1. Gas vs. Electric? (I haven't had good luck with gas widgets if they have to be pre-mixed).

2. Hose reel-- great idea or gimmick? My storage space is *significantly* limited.

3. Do any of them have "instant on/off" functionality? Seems like a good idea from a noise and pump life standpoint.

4. Specific Karcher model recommendations?

Thanks-- I can't afford (translation: The Minister of War and Finance would KILL me) $1200, but I don't want to buy a "throw-away" junk model-- I tried that once with Harbor Freight and it didn't end well.

R.

1) Gas will generally always be better GPM(Think you want ideal pressure around 1000, so GPM 'rated' is relative. As the pressure drops, generally GPM increases).
The con is, well,...an IC motor is loud, annoying to start, fill with gas, and usually not something you can hard mount

2) if you hard mount(and you should), trust me and GET A REEL. you will get really tired of winding up even a 50' hose. it doesn't need to be a $$$$ cox reel, but yes, in all cases, you will never regret the reel buy.

3) most electric are on off/based when trigger is pulled(electric anyways)

4) Karcher 1700 "cube" is really an EXCELLENT starter. around $100, 3 year no question warranty, more than enough gpm and psi to wash and foam a car. I ran it for 2 years. Is the Kranzle better? YEP, but my karcher performed perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/Karcher-Elect.../dp/B06XRDLVN5

5) spend your money on the 'accessories'. That is, make it effortless to use(hard mount your PW, get the reel, splurge on a gun). The less effort it takes to pull all the 'stuff' out and to put it up, the more enjoyable and ultimately the more hooked you get.

Not everyone is an obsessed garage fan, but he makes the intro into this stuff EASY. he sells a full accessory kit for the 1700 cube(even sells the 1700 cube on his site too)
https://www.obsessedgarage.com/colle...er-accessories
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6553.00
      04-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #46
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Mounting really isn't an option for me due to a) garage space and b) I'll want to be using it in the front and back of the house.

I'm leaning towards this one-- any feedback? It's $329 at Home Depot, but I get a 10% discount, so actually $296 plus tax.

Gas, 3000 PSI, 2.3-GPM with a Honda engine.

Again, thanks.

R.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #47
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Bringing this one back up as I'm funneling through the pile of options. I've always thought gas would be the way to go and in the past has been my only experience with pressure washers. That said, I recently dumped my 4 stroke power head in favor of a 40V electric head to power my string trimmer, edger, etc. and am really impressed. This has me now leaning to an electric option, but am concerned on quality, longevity, and functionality.

My primary uses will be for washing the house (soffits, gutters, siding, etc.) and hope to hook up a foam cannon for car washing as an after-thought. I figure I will pressure wash the driveway a few times while we live here and I'd probably need about 200 ft of a thick gauge extension cord. Is that even possible or a reasonable expense? Or would I be better off getting gas for that reason? ie: "cheap" electric pressure washer + expensive extension cord = similar price of a higher quality gas option

Echoing others' comments in here, I really can't justify the big money some of the offerings mentioned in the thread. $300-ish or less would be my budget.

I see that Karcher has their K1900 for a good price + includes a free surface cleaner.

https://www.kaercher.com/us/home-gar...-11061290.html

Last edited by spazzyfry123; 06-26-2020 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #48
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Bringing this one back up as I'm funneling through the pile of options. I've always thought gas would be the way to go and in the past has been my only experience with pressure washers. That said, I recently dumped my 4 stroke power head in favor of a 40V electric head to power my string trimmer, edger, etc. and am really impressed. This has me now leaning to an electric option, but am concerned on quality, longevity, and functionality.

My primary uses will be for washing the house (soffits, gutters, siding, etc.) and hope to hook up a foam cannon for car washing as an after-thought. I figure I will pressure wash the driveway a few times while we live here and I'd probably need about 200 ft of a thick gauge extension cord. Is that even possible or a reasonable expense? Or would I be better off getting gas for that reason? ie: "cheap" electric pressure washer + expensive extension cord = similar price of a higher quality gas option

Echoing others' comments in here, I really can't justify the big money some of the offerings mentioned in the thread. $300-ish or less would be my budget.

I see that Karcher has their K1900 for a good price + includes a free surface cleaner.

https://www.kaercher.com/us/home-gar...-11061290.html
Bummer. Really wanted to go electric on this purchase, but my math shows I'll need a 12, possibly 10 gauge extension cord of about 100 ft. That plus the pressure washer itself is going to push the $400+ mark.

I think I'm going to go the route of flybigjet and get the Ryobi with the Honda motor. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #49
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:

I think I'm going to go the route of flybigjet and get the Ryobi with the Honda motor. Fingers crossed.
I'm very pleased with it to date. I got a variable-psi restrictor that goes on the wand that I've found helpful washing the car. Works great on concrete as well, and having the single rotating-setting attachment on the front works a treat-- I don't have to worry about losing any attachments.

The only thing I'd offer as a critique was that the hose setup wasn't optimal. It is fairly stiff, so it didn't coil well for storage and was kind of a pain in the arse.

I got a quick-disconnect kit on Amazon that solved the problem nicely. Inexpensive, and allowed me to quick-disconnect the garden hose, the pressure washer hose at the machine, and the pressure washer hose at the wand. Problem solved-- the hose coils nicely now and it stores well.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07MY1...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #50
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Ive had good luck with troybilt pressure washers. I currently have a craftsman professional grade with a honda motor(got it on sale for a great deal). The engine is great but the pump itself leaves some to be desired. It works fine after about 5min but before that pressure cuts in and out making it rather annoying to use if i want to get something done quickly.
If i were to do it again id go with something else.
As far as electric PWs we used to use them at work and theyre nice but we would go through them about every 6-9months to the point we had several in stock at all times. They were used indoors so gas was not an option
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 03:26 PM   #51
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Bummer. Really wanted to go electric on this purchase, but my math shows I'll need a 12, possibly 10 gauge extension cord of about 100 ft. That plus the pressure washer itself is going to push the $400+ mark.

I went and bought the Ryobi 3000psi this morning, also a foam cannon. It has some features that I like more than the Briggs and Stratton 3200psi I also have. For one, it is quieter. I also like the tip that is included as it is all spray patterns I need in one instead of having to swap out a tip and possibly lose it as I am doing my thing. The one thing I am not fond of is the oil fill location, on the side vs on the top, necessitating a funnel. First world problems... Foam cannon is AWESOME!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #52
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Kranzle. End of discussion.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #53
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Kranzle. End of discussion.
For that price, I could have 3 of the Ryobi I bought this morning, and more than twice the pressure. May be a nice unit, but pretty sure the discussion is still on the table...
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #54
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
For that price, I could have 3 of the Ryobi I bought this morning, and more than twice the pressure. May be a nice unit, but pretty sure the discussion is still on the table...
You could also be buying 3 new Toyota corolla for the price of a brand new m3.

Nope, I am not driving s Corolla. End of discussion.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #55
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
You could also be buying 3 new Toyota corolla for the price of a brand new m3.

Nope, I am not driving s Corolla. End of discussion.
More like paying for an M3, but getting the performace of Corolla. Either way, different strokes. You enjoy your 1400psi wonder machine in good health, and I will enjoy my 3000 psi.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #56
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

I have sun joe.
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8666.50
      07-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #57
Mo2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Sunjoe 2300 psi, 1.48 GPM electric pressure washer from Lowes
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #58
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

I've been extremely happy with my Subaru gas powered washer from Costco. It takes about 5 min to warm up but that's the only complaint I have.

I have yet to see an electric that compares in power, I'm surprised they even have 3000psi electric ones now. I don't even want to know the price, I'm sure most of you know the Costco price is a bit over $300.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #59
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDimmer6 View Post
I have sun joe.
Me too but it just decided to not work anymore, lasted about 18 months (stored in the winter dry/warm garage) $150

$35 Bought a snake hose too, that lasted 5 days...

I'm just jinx when it comes to cheap things lasting, buying a fuc**ng Honda powered gas simson $399

And for the cherry on top a branch fell on the roof, if the paintless dent removal guy can't get it fixed $500 I'm just getting a carbon fiber roof $3.2k

Venting, Note the m2 has just 2550 miles, it's been in hibernation most of its life, outside a total of 35 days garaged 18 months, fml

Under a tree because I'm so smart, wanted some shade to detail her, branch missed all of my shitty work trucks and trailer, bullseye on my creampuff 🎯
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #60
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Me too but it just decided to not work anymore, lasted about 18 months (stored in the winter dry/warm garage) $150

$35 Bought a snake hose too, that lasted 5 days...

I'm just jinx when it comes to cheap things lasting, buying a fuc**ng Honda powered gas simson $399

And for the cherry on top a branch fell on the roof, if the paintless dent removal guy can't get it fixed $500 I'm just getting a carbon fiber roof $3.2k

Venting, Note the m2 has just 2550 miles, it's been in hibernation most of its life, outside a total of 35 days garaged 18 months, fml

Under a tree because I'm so smart, wanted some shade to detail her, branch missed all of my shitty work trucks and trailer, bullseye on my creampuff 🎯
F*&K your luck! Not trying to be an a$$hole, but that's pretty damn funny. The CF roof will just POP with AW!
Appreciate 1
NEfan5082658.50