BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #45
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
I went to the school of not paying student loans and getting actual hands on experience. People with degrees hate working for me.
You sound insecure.
Appreciate 2
sspade2460.00
PoorLurker1135.00
      05-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #46
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
You sound insecure.
Anything but my friend. You sound like you're projecting.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 07:40 PM   #47
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANGRKE70 View Post
School where our mascot is a beaver...muff said.

Still more intimidating to Lebron than the Toronto BARNEYS.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #48
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

I was accepted into USC (first choice) and UCLA (second choice) but then I was talking to some guys at the gym and I figured I would skip college. They had a bunch of stories of people like Bill Gates and Zuckerberg who never finished college, so I figured if they can drop out of Harvard and do well, I can too.

Plus I don't have student loan debt, so I aint doing too bad

dont be a sheep

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #49
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
I was accepted into USC (first choice) and UCLA (second choice) but then I was talking to some guys at the gym and I figured I would skip college. They had a bunch of stories of people like Bill Gates and Zuckerberg who never finished college, so I figured if they can drop out of Harvard and do well, I can too.

Plus I don't have student loan debt, so I aint doing too bad

dont be a sheep
This is a misinformed opinion. Even those small minority of dropouts who hit it big still went to college for some period of time. I agree college is a waste of one's time if a degree in gender studies, art, or some other bullsh*t is the end goal. But if you are going to study STEM or something in the financial sector it is worth it.

There is definitely an epidemic in this nation of people who shouldn't be going to college going to college and getting useless degrees.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13147.00
scostu1619.50
      05-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #50
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
University of Oklahoma.

The only way to have a profession in medicine is to go through college. If you don't need to go to college to do what you want in life then more power to you.

The whole debate of Going To College vs. Not Going To College shouldn't even be compared to each other. Some careers require a degree and the only way to do that is to go to college. There are other areas that don't require a college education and that's completely fine too.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #51
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

All my boys are going to college. Period. And less they can come up with an extremely convincing reason why not. If they wanted to go into the military first I guess I would support that. But would Press them to go to college after word.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
King Rudi13147.00
aozer994.50
      05-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #52
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
All my boys are going to college. Period. And less they can come up with an extremely convincing reason why not. If they wanted to go into the military first I guess I would support that. But would Press them to go to college after word.
You are going to make them go into student loan debt for a degree that will only get their foot in the door at the local coffee shop?

Or are you planning to foot said degree?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #53
VI Rudeboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

University of North Carolina Charlotte
Appreciate 1
Conissah1574.50
      05-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #54
se15679875
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Both of my kids are going to college. It's just something that's been ingrained within our culture that having a college degree is a ticket to the upper middle class, particularly with a STEM degree.

But I will be footing 100% of my kids' tuition, housing, and general living expenses so they'll be graduating debt free.

I do understand the appeal on skipping out on the college experience if you're faced with tens of thousands in debt and your earning potential (based on your intended degree) can't justify that debt from a time value of money perspective over the lifetime of your career.
Appreciate 1
Rokoz293.00
      05-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #55
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #56
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
You are going to make them go into student loan debt for a degree that will only get their foot in the door at the local coffee shop?

Or are you planning to foot said degree?
Are you really naive enough to believe what you just typed?

Do you really think all degrees are worthless?

If so you really are uneducated.
Appreciate 3
aozer994.50
Germanauto9652.00
      05-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #57
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
dats a gud edmucation
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13147.00
upstatedoc7555.50
      05-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #58
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Based off some of things that I've read after my post on here, I'd like to clarify a key point. I may not have a degree but would rather have one. I am a rare exception in society. I am a firm believer that if it's possible to get a degree, please do so. The average bachelors degree will typically get you a job (if you make the right decisions) making around $50-60K/year. However those with professional degrees can make $100k or more a year. Yes student loans are expensive, but if a person (again) makes the right decisions in life, student loans should be no problem paying off if one makes 6 figures a year. Yes it may take years to pay off, but this mindset applies to everything in life, work hard and chip away at the debt and reap the rewards after. Hard work and dedication usually pay off, as long as your head is in the right place, but rarely does one ever see instant gratification. Just because I don't have a degree does not mean that I condone the mentality of not having one if a person is able to obtain one.

Every persons life is different and some situations may work for some to whereas they may not work for others. In the immortal words of my father, "The only thing that can't be taken from you is an education."
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9652.00
MKSixer34171.50
      05-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #59
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

i was lucky enough to have parents who paid my way through school, so i graduated debt free. i have an MS in computer engineering, so i think my degree is quite valuable. my parents placed education over everything so they were willing to sacrifice a lot for my education and the same mindset has been ingrained in me.

if i can afford it i will do the same thing for my kids, as long as they are pursuing a technical degree and not some liberal arts bullshit.
Appreciate 4
      05-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #60
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Harvard undergrad

NYU stern MBA
      05-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #61
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
i was lucky enough to have parents who paid my way through school, so i graduated debt free. i have an MS in computer engineering, so i think my degree is quite valuable. my parents placed education over everything so they were willing to sacrifice a lot for my education and the same mindset has been ingrained in me.

if i can afford it i will do the same thing for my kids, as long as they are pursuing a technical degree and not some liberal arts bullshit.
I can appreciate the fact that you said "lucky enough." Good choice in degree as well.
Appreciate 2
Rokoz293.00
      05-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #62
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post

My folks did the same and I will do the same for my kids.
Appreciate 1
Rokoz293.00
      05-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #63
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Undergraduate School: Catholic University
Graduate School: George Mason University

Education is paramount in my industry.

No degree, no respect, no job.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #64
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
Harvard undergrad

NYU stern MBA
then you are smart enough to realize that an X50 is sorely outdated
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #65
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
then you are smart enough to realize that an X50 is sorely outdated
so i do
      05-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #66
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Based off some of things that I've read after my post on here, I'd like to clarify a key point. I may not have a degree but would rather have one. I am a rare exception in society. I am a firm believer that if it's possible to get a degree, please do so. The average bachelors degree will typically get you a job (if you make the right decisions) making around $50-60K/year. However those with professional degrees can make $100k or more a year. Yes student loans are expensive, but if a person (again) makes the right decisions in life, student loans should be no problem paying off if one makes 6 figures a year. Yes it may take years to pay off, but this mindset applies to everything in life, work hard and chip away at the debt and reap the rewards after. Hard work and dedication usually pay off, as long as your head is in the right place, but rarely does one ever see instant gratification. Just because I don't have a degree does not mean that I condone the mentality of not having one if a person is able to obtain one.

Every persons life is different and some situations may work for some to whereas they may not work for others. In the immortal words of my father, "The only thing that can't be taken from you is an education."
50k with a degree is proof enough that one is not needed.
Appreciate 0