BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #89
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
That's strange. My Sig (pictured above) has been flawless. Perhaps it was your specific gun. Glad to hear though they take care of their customers. Sounds like S&W customer service with my .40 shield when the striker broke.

Man I've been so tempted to get the FDE version to go with my FDE SCAR17 but I can't find a good deal yet. Most are asking over 1100 for it before taxes lol.
It's not strange. Manufacturing defects happen. Electronics from major manufactures with excellent quality control deliver products that are DOA. It happens. But you're right about the CS. I would not have a single hesitation about buying another Sig product. They were great.

If you're not buying every SCAR17 you can find for $1100, please show me where they are, i'll be every single one they have and easily double my money. Least expensive one i see on GB is $3500 with 20 bids and has 2.5 days left on the auction time. If you know someone selling a SCAR17 for $1100, BUY IT.

But maybe you meant the FNX45 Tac in FDE.... That is indeed around $1100 and you likely won't find for much less. Gun broker has a few Buy it Now options for $1000. But that's gonna be the bottom of the barrel for a new one. I doubt you'll find a good condition used one for much less either.
      10-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #90
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
It's not strange. Manufacturing defects happen. Electronics from major manufactures with excellent quality control deliver products that are DOA. It happens. But you're right about the CS. I would not have a single hesitation about buying another Sig product. They were great.

If you're not buying every SCAR17 you can find for $1100, please show me where they are, i'll be every single one they have and easily double my money. Least expensive one i see on GB is $3500 with 20 bids and has 2.5 days left on the auction time. If you know someone selling a SCAR17 for $1100, BUY IT.

But maybe you meant the FNX45 Tac in FDE.... That is indeed around $1100 and you likely won't find for much less. Gun broker has a few Buy it Now options for $1000. But that's gonna be the bottom of the barrel for a new one. I doubt you'll find a good condition used one for much less either.
I meant it's strange they didn't just replace it. But if it's working fine then I guess no need.

Lol no, if it was a SCAR light or heavy for 1100 I would have a stockpile of them. I got mine for 2300 brand new so I can't complain. But the FNX I've been frugal with lately. However, the way politics are looking right now I may end up biting the bullet (no pun intended).
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #91
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
I meant it's strange they didn't just replace it. But if it's working fine then I guess no need.

Lol no, if it was a SCAR light or heavy for 1100 I would have a stockpile of them. I got mine for 2300 brand new so I can't complain. But the FNX I've been frugal with lately. However, the way politics are looking right now I may end up biting the bullet (no pun intended).
Do it. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.
      10-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #92
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck fat View Post
The 338 was a rush. It definitely kicks but even for a novice like me, it was stil manageable.
50bmg isnt terrible either provided there's a decent brake attached to the business end of the gun
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #93
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
50bmg isnt terrible either provided there's a decent brake attached to the business end of the gun
That's one I'd like to try just for the giggles.

I've shot a S&W .500 revolver...that thing kicks hard. Hard enough to hurt my toothpick wrists after only 8 shots.

But it also brought a smile to my face, so there's that.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #94
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
That's one I'd like to try just for the giggles.

I've shot a S&W .500 revolver...that thing kicks hard. Hard enough to hurt my toothpick wrists after only 8 shots.

But it also brought a smile to my face, so there's that.
Its guaranteed to make you smile....almost

Its nothing to be trifled with though......a malfunction with a round that size can be more than just a "Bad Day"

Ma Duece is my favorite smile machines though
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #95
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
You should post some gun pics. We love that here.
Dont threaten me with a good time!

I really would like to get a Steyr Aug Bullpup next. Ive heard their finicky and trigger pull isnt smooth, but the aesthetics have always drawn my attention.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #96
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I'm a relative noob with firearms and living in the People's Republic of Maryland with their messed up rules.

Anyways, only have two firearms now.

H&K VP9 (really for the wife and home defense) with a SureFire tac light
Windham Weaponry HBC AR15 with a few mods.

Looking to get a Sig P320 soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #97
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I'm a relative noob with firearms and living in the People's Republic of Maryland with their messed up rules.

Anyways, only have two firearms now.

H&K VP9 (really for the wife and home defense) with a SureFire tac light
Windham Weaponry HBC AR15 with a few mods.

Gotta love "Cuba on the Chesapeake"........you can count on your house of delegates and senate to go full retard every chance they get.....

Can you believe that they raised the cigarette tax a few years back only to find that revenue went down due to people buying cigs from Va/Delaware......and what was their response?

To make it a criminal act to bring more than a couple packs of butts into the state......

UFB

Progressivism.....ideas so good they have to be mandatory
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5137.00
      10-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #98
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Do it! I love mine.
      10-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #99
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Not a polymer fan but definitely a sig fan.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #100
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Do it! I love mine.
What configuration did you get your P320 in?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #101
Thxrick
The Cool Guy/ You're drinking' Buddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 e90, 2015 GTI

I hit the range again on the way home....damn it! Bought another gun. I have liked the Springfield XD-S since the first time I picked it up. Was looking for something in 9mm and smaller in size. It has optic sights and shoots and feels like a dream. The only downside side is that it comes with 7 & 8 round Mags but the largest is 10. SMH...thank the Lord for speed loaders...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #102
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

NutNfancy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxrick View Post
I hit the range again on the way home....damn it! Bought another gun. I have liked the Springfield XD-S since the first time I picked it up. Was looking for something in 9mm and smaller in size. It has optic sights and shoots and feels like a dream. The only downside side is that it comes with 7 & 8 round Mags but the largest is 10. SMH...thank the Lord for speed loaders...

Anyone a NutNfancy fan ? I am.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #103
Thxrick
The Cool Guy/ You're drinking' Buddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 e90, 2015 GTI

Well hot damn!! ^^^ I'm gonna watch that!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      10-20-2016, 07:21 PM   #104
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Anyone a NutNfancy fan ? I am.
Yes sir. I love the long format videos, I can usually be found watching one on my lunch break.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      10-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #105
jimj911
When the F#$% did we get ice cream?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
9mm is good but 40 is mbetter for stopping power. Hollow tips all day unless at the range. The 380 is smaller than my wallet and weighs less than a soda can. Good for carry in front pocket. Laser turns on automatically when its removed from the holster. Depending on what im wearing its the 380 or 40 for carry. Shotgun for home defense. Rest are for fun, collecting, or range duty.
This is largely false. Well, not so much as false, but rather just as true as saying 9mm has more stopping power as .40 cal.

Stopping power comes from your familiarity and proficiency in using your firearm. A well placed shot from a .38 will have more stopping power than a .45acp hitting a non-vital part of the body.

Today's bullet tech has moved the 9mm back to the forefront in regards to choosing a tactical and defense caliber. The 9mm platform offers too many advantages for the .40cal to overcome. 9MM and .40 ballistics are near identical. Penetration tests show it to be on par and in some comparisons better than .40cal. You can carry more rounds in 9mm over .40cal. 9mm is generally a more manageable round. More manageable rounds are easier to keep on target. Staying on target = more stopping power. Plus it's less expensive to shoot, less wear and tear on the firearm and abundantly available. More ammo choices, etc. etc.. etc...

There is a reason nearly all LE agencies are moving back to 9mm.
I disagree and was under the impression that 9mm is such a high velocity that it doesn't have time to create much cavitation, thus the MANY stories I've heard from people who lived and died with their weapons saying they've seen too many times multiple rounds from a 9mm not stopping an assailant whereas the same placed rounds with a .40 or better yet a .45 have more impact energy, and being slower rounds they do more damage as they go through. I carry a small easily concealed Kahr CW40 with hollow points and an extended clip (mostly because a friend won it in a raffle and had no need for it and sold it cheap). My next purchase was going to be a HK 45 but I have read great reviews of the Ruger American Pistol (probably in .45).

Edit: sorry I didn't read the whole thread first and should have known this age old argument would have already commenced.

'08 BMW 335i, Dinan Stage 2
'14 BMW 535d Xdrive Msport, Stage 2
'14 Dodge 3500 Cummins Longhorn dually
'15 BMW X5M
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #106
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Question: "Why do you carry a .45?"

Ans: "Because they dont make a "46"
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:50 PM   #107
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

They make 50 though!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #108
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj911 View Post
I disagree and was under the impression that 9mm is such a high velocity that it doesn't have time to create much cavitation, thus the MANY stories I've heard from people who lived and died with their weapons saying they've seen too many times multiple rounds from a 9mm not stopping an assailant whereas the same placed rounds with a .40 or better yet a .45 have more impact energy, and being slower rounds they do more damage as they go through. I carry a small easily concealed Kahr CW40 with hollow points and an extended clip (mostly because a friend won it in a raffle and had no need for it and sold it cheap). My next purchase was going to be a HK 45 but I have read great reviews of the Ruger American Pistol (probably in .45).

Edit: sorry I didn't read the whole thread first and should have known this age old argument would have already commenced.
There are many stories, but when it comes down to the science of the issue. There is little to no difference between the "stopping power" of 9mm / .40cal. even .45acp for that matter. Think about your statement.... more impact energy... on the same soft target... does what? Over penetrate. The amount of variables that go into ballistic testing AND reporting is mind boggling. When you're talking about testing with the substance most closely resembling soft tissue, the results are pretty clear.

See the link i posted a while back in this thread. MOST of the .40cal rounds tested underperformed. Note that some people think a bullet that can go through 3 people is super deadly, but over penetration is an under performing characteristic.

This isn't my opinion to disagree with, these are quantifiable facts. Feel free to disagree with my opinion that the minuscule differences between 9mm, .40cal and .45acp ballistics makes the 9mm the smart decision for a cc pistol. But the tested and measured ballistics don't lie. With more and more LE agency moving back to 9mm it's fairly obvious what their opinion is.

Someone posted about military sticking with the .45. And that's fine, but who uses pistols in the military? Infantry, no. SF and SO use pistols. Who are the average CC America's most similar to, a LEO or a SEAL? What kind of a bad guy are you, an average American, most likely to encounter? The same type as a LEO or a western way of life hating military combatant who is likely wearing some type of LBV or multiple layers of clothing? The weapon system that gives you the most options is the best one. A pistol is just part of an operator's weapon system. A pistol IS my weapon system, with that being the case... reliability, size, weight, mag capacity and operational effectiveness need to balance out more so than if my pistol was a back up weapon.

14 opinions of firearm industry experts asked to choose between 9mm and 45acp. http://www.tactical-life.com/gear/45.../#bsum-buffoni

Only one of them chose .45 and did so because his imaginary deciding scenario limited each gun to 5 rounds. Not to mention he is one of the oldest in the group. And older people tend to perpetuate what they've believed their whole lives, even if modern technology makes what they believe obsolete.
jimj911147.00
Dackelone10504.50
      10-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #109
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
They make 50 though!
This is true

You ever shot a 50 DE?