BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #23
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Lol, I thought this topic was forbidden but...

Glock 22 .40 cal
Taurus SR24 .40 cal
Ar15, Smith & Wesson M&P 15 2

The pistols are nice and great for home defense, but at the range the AR is king... looking to put a scope on it now.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #24
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Lol, I thought this topic was forbidden but...

Glock 22 .40 cal
Taurus SR24 .40 cal
Ar15, Smith & Wesson M&P 15 2

The pistols are nice and great for home defense, but at the range the AR is king... looking to put a scope on it now.
I don't understand why it would or should be forbidden. Guns are tools like a hammer, pieces of history, and technologically interesting. They have liberated our country, protected our borders and protect our lives and our childrens lives. Anyone who is offended by them is offended out of ignorance and would do well to use a discussion on firearms to learn about them. I would understand banning the illegal or incorrect use of them. But possession of them is a constitutional right. Not much higher validation than that. Even driving is only a privilege.
Appreciate 5
      10-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #25
Thxrick
The Cool Guy/ You're drinking' Buddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 e90, 2015 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
I don't understand why it would or should be forbidden. Guns are tools like a hammer, pieces of history, and technologically interesting. They have liberated our country, protected our borders and protect our lives and our childrens lives. Anyone who is offended by them is offended out of ignorance and would do well to use a discussion on firearms to learn about them. I would understand banning the illegal or incorrect use of them. But possession of them is a constitutional right. Not much higher validation than that. Even driving is only a privilege.
Agreed!!

As an aside, I was asking one of the employees at my local store about shotguns. Can't beat one for home defense. He commented that more and more people are moving to ARs because of the increased amount of ammo and its accuracy. I'm going to have to check this out. I fired one a few years ago and it was unbelievable..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #26
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxrick View Post
Agreed!!

As an aside, I was asking one of the employees at my local store about shotguns. Can't beat one for home defense. He commented that more and more people are moving to ARs because of the increased amount of ammo and its accuracy. I'm going to have to check this out. I fired one a few years ago and it was unbelievable..
AR's are awesome, I will tell you right now...

As far as home defense, my prefence is pistols... the problem with AR's is they are too powerful for home defense and penetrating walls of your house and hitting your neighbors in an emergency is high... as far as shotguns, they will cause an extreme mess, and if you have the wrong weight of buckshot, it can actually can bounce back or ricochet indoors...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #27
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Can't beat a good old remington 870 pump for home defense, ar isn't nearly as effective and may get book thrown at you for using thst as home defense.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #28
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Came in hoping that this thread was about

Appreciate 3
Aatish3458.00
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #29
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Gay cartoons?
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      10-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #30
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

So inb4
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #31
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

I have ar, ak and 12 gauge. I grab shotgun if I'm defending. Why? More stopping power than anything else, still have 9 rounds, pump noise should be enough to stop aggression, dont need to be as accurate, rounds wont travel through neighbors walls killing them, etc. Mine is a 9 round pump with low recoil manstopper buckshot for accurate followup.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #32
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Same have all 3 and would grab 870
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #33
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Gay cartoons?
What keyboard did you purchase that has the a key next to the u key?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #34
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

I am not really into guns (or those hideous couches, hehe)

but that room is pretty awesome.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #35
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Just get a bump stock. Legal, mimics full auto, and cheap.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #36
Boston_f30D
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Stockpile
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #37
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxrick View Post
Agreed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
AR's are awesome, I will tell you right now...

As far as home defense, my prefence is pistols... the problem with AR's is they are too powerful for home defense and penetrating walls of your house and hitting your neighbors in an emergency is high... as far as shotguns, they will cause an extreme mess, and if you have the wrong weight of buckshot, it can actually can bounce back or ricochet indoors...
Quote:
I have ar, ak and 12 gauge. I grab shotgun if I'm defending. Why? More stopping power than anything else, still have 9 rounds, pump noise should be enough to stop aggression, dont need to be as accurate, rounds wont travel through neighbors walls killing them, etc. Mine is a 9 round pump with low recoil manstopper buckshot for accurate followup.
Sheetrock penetration is, for the most part, very similar between 00 Buck, 5.56 and 9mm JHP. We're talking about only 1 to 2 sheets of drywall between the least penetrating and the most penetrating.

What might be the most under scrutinized aspect of using an AR for in home defense is sound pressure. Prepare to most likely have some permanent hearing damage if firing a 55gr 5.56 in a small room. If i had to use an AR for in home defense, it would be my 9" barreled .300blk chambered with subsonic rounds with a suppressor.

00 Buck is going to create less sound pressure, but as with the AR, you have to be concerned about using a longer weapon in confined spaces. Something people should practice if they are going to use a long gun for CQB. Though the best advice for home defense is to take up a singular defensive position with a shotgun which gives you some type of cover or the ability to see and identify the intruder prior to them seeing you. Also, bear in mind that at the typical home defense shooting occurs at a range of 7 to 12 ft. At 12 ft, 00buck only has about a 2" spread out of a 16" barrel. (slightly larger spread with shorter barrel length of course, but we're talking another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch) So don't think you don't have to worry about accuracy.

Given the ballistic similarities in terms of penetration, if i were to investigate something going bump in the night, i would choose my H&K 9mm pistol with 17rd capacity and a weapon mounted light. I can operate the pistol and weapon light effectively with one hand, either hand at that. I very much like the ability to keep effective control of my weapon with just one hand leaving one free to operate doors, lights, phone, etc... If i were certain someone was in my home, i'd have the wife armed with a shotgun and i would wield a 9mm bull-pup with a weapon light. We would take up a defensive position in our bedroom which creates a fatal funnel. That's what works for us and we've practiced it. If our house were different our plan would likely be different.

Everyone needs to realize that the most effective weapon in your home is your brain. Training in your home, finding the best defensive position, making a plan to get there and hold it will give you far better chances to survive a home innovation than just picking your favorite defensive tool.
ASAP9969.50
jimj911147.00
JamesWWIII2932.00
      10-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #38
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post

No kidding about the couches... looks like they came out of a college residence hall from the 1980's.

I'll have everything else in the room though.
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #39
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely
Quote:

No kidding about the couches... looks like they came out of a college residence hall from the 1980's.

Don't forget the heinous floor tile.

Looks more like the cave of redundancy and bad taste. :
      10-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #40
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Sheetrock penetration is, for the most part, very similar between 00 Buck, 5.56 and 9mm JHP. We're talking about only 1 to 2 sheets of drywall between the least penetrating and the most penetrating.

What might be the most under scrutinized aspect of using an AR for in home defense is sound pressure. Prepare to most likely have some permanent hearing damage if firing a 55gr 5.56 in a small room. If i had to use an AR for in home defense, it would be my 9" barreled .300blk chambered with subsonic rounds with a suppressor.

00 Buck is going to create less sound pressure, but as with the AR, you have to be concerned about using a longer weapon in confined spaces. Something people should practice if they are going to use a long gun for CQB. Though the best advice for home defense is to take up a singular defensive position with a shotgun which gives you some type of cover or the ability to see and identify the intruder prior to them seeing you. Also, bear in mind that at the typical home defense shooting occurs at a range of 7 to 12 ft. At 12 ft, 00buck only has about a 2" spread out of a 16" barrel. (slightly larger spread with shorter barrel length of course, but we're talking another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch) So don't think you don't have to worry about accuracy.

Given the ballistic similarities in terms of penetration, if i were to investigate something going bump in the night, i would choose my H&K 9mm pistol with 17rd capacity and a weapon mounted light. I can operate the pistol and weapon light effectively with one hand, either hand at that. I very much like the ability to keep effective control of my weapon with just one hand leaving one free to operate doors, lights, phone, etc... If i were certain someone was in my home, i'd have the wife armed with a shotgun and i would wield a 9mm bull-pup with a weapon light. We would take up a defensive position in our bedroom which creates a fatal funnel. That's what works for us and we've practiced it. If our house were different our plan would likely be different.

Everyone needs to realize that the most effective weapon in your home is your brain. Training in your home, finding the best defensive position, making a plan to get there and hold it will give you far better chances to survive a home innovation than just picking your favorite defensive tool.
My house and my neighbors is cinderblock. Not worried about buckshot but high powered rifles yes. And the shotgun is short 20" barreled with large rooms. Number 2 pick would be the 40.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #41
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Personally, I find a .45 easier to get back on target than a 9mm in a polymer frame pistol.

If you were shooting 9mm in your typical heavier 1911 frame, then my answer would likely change. I just find Glock's snappy, whereas I find the 1911 to be more of a push than a snap.

But that's just personal preference, some interesting stats above.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #42
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Thats true too but they suck to carry.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #43
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Thats true too but they suck to carry.
I'm Canadian. I'm not carrying.

I'm only armed with my rapier wit.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #44
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely
Quote:

Don't forget the heinous floor tile.

Looks more like the cave of redundancy and bad taste. :
Always with the flooring.