BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #45
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I highly recommend Ubiquiti Unifi video, especially for budget sensitive installs. Check Amazon for pricing but cameras start at $130 /ea for 720p video, IR and built in mic.

Software to turn any PC, Mac or Linux PC into an NVR is FREE (no license fees). Or buy their $350 NVR appliance (runs Linux) and can handle up to 20 cameras. All IP based.

Ubiquiti also has an Android and iOS app to remote view.

http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFI_Video_DS.pdf
      06-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #46
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I highly recommend Ubiquiti Unifi video, especially for budget sensitive installs. Check Amazon for pricing but cameras start at $130 /ea for 720p video, IR and built in mic.

Software to turn any PC, Mac or Linux PC into an NVR is FREE (no license fees). Or buy their $350 NVR appliance (runs Linux) and can handle up to 20 cameras. All IP based.

Ubiquiti also has an Android and iOS app to remote view.

http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFI_Video_DS.pdf
I'd say that $130 is a lot of money for only a 720p camera. For half that price, you can get 3MP cameras.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #47
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Two quick installation pics from Saturday...
Very nice! I just have a DS-2CD2432F-IW sitting on a shelf in my garage for now.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #48
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Very nice! I just have a DS-2CD2432F-IW sitting on a shelf in my garage for now.
Thanks! Took a little bit of time to make the install look really clean and I'm pleased with it.

I'm thinking about ordering the DS-2CD2432F-IW for the hell of it. Are you pleased with it?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 07:07 AM   #49
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Yes. In general, I am pretty happy with it. The 2 way audio is a nice feature. I haven't done much of talking through the camera but hearing what is going on in the area the camera is monitoring is something that once you've utilized it, you don't want to do without. The camera is pretty compact. There's a setup option for the video to properly orient the image. This allows you to have the camera side ways or upside down to aid in the best mounting configuration. You're going to be limited to how the camera is going to be mounted. The back of the camera has a threaded hole where the stand screws in to. The stand has two screw keyholes. So you'll have to utilize the included stand. The IR lamp and night vision is very impressive. I can get a pretty clear image in the pitch dark environment of my garage. There's some noise in the picture but it's really good for being pitch black in there.

The bad.... I haven't figured out what was going on with one of the 2432 cameras...(I have three). The one I was running wirelessly for a baby cam started to act up. I was getting slow motion video, out of sync audio, and video stutter due to dropped packets or high latency. It got better when I ran that camera via Ethernet but I was still getting the above artifacts intermittently. I moved the camera back to the nursery and everything seems fine now via wireless. At first stab, I would say there was a clear wireless problem but the fact it was also happening via wired rules that out. The other two cameras have been running flawlessly but they've been wired from the get go.

I'm looking to buy another one for my beach house.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #50
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes. In general, I am pretty happy with it. The 2 way audio is a nice feature. I haven't done much of talking through the camera but hearing what is going on in the area the camera is monitoring is something that once you've utilized it, you don't want to do without. The camera is pretty compact. There's a setup option for the video to properly orient the image. This allows you to have the camera side ways or upside down to aid in the best mounting configuration. You're going to be limited to how the camera is going to be mounted. The back of the camera has a threaded hole where the stand screws in to. The stand has two screw keyholes. So you'll have to utilize the included stand. The IR lamp and night vision is very impressive. I can get a pretty clear image in the pitch dark environment of my garage. There's some noise in the picture but it's really good for being pitch black in there.

The bad.... I haven't figured out what was going on with one of the 2432 cameras...(I have three). The one I was running wirelessly for a baby cam started to act up. I was getting slow motion video, out of sync audio, and video stutter due to dropped packets or high latency. It got better when I ran that camera via Ethernet but I was still getting the above artifacts intermittently. I moved the camera back to the nursery and everything seems fine now via wireless. At first stab, I would say there was a clear wireless problem but the fact it was also happening via wired rules that out. The other two cameras have been running flawlessly but they've been wired from the get go.

I'm looking to buy another one for my beach house.
That is good feedback. I know the wireless can be touchy, but if all else fails, I might just pull ethernet in there. Just like the fact that it's a camera that you can easily move around. The other Hikvisions are more of the permanent mount type.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #51
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That is good feedback. I know the wireless can be touchy, but if all else fails, I might just pull ethernet in there. Just like the fact that it's a camera that you can easily move around. The other Hikvisions are more of the permanent mount type.
That's the allure of the 2432 box style cameras. You can place them just about anywhere. But also be aware about the weight of the 2432 cameras. They're pretty light even with the included base. I had an issue where the Ethernet patch cable I was using when I had the one designated as a baby cam in our bedroom to watch our daughter while she was sleeping. The cable had enough stiffness and heft to keep rotating the camera. We had to weigh down the Ethernet patch cable to keep the camera pointed where we wanted it.

With the wireless situation on the 2432, as I said above, I don't know why everything seems to have resolved itself. The wireless equipment I'm using is enterprise/business grade stuff. Not going to argue it but I would have like to know what was causing the issues.

As far as finding a power supply to run the 2432 while in wireless mode, I found one of the wallwarts from some old Netgear network equipment to work with the camera.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 09:18 AM   #52
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That's the allure of the 2432 box style cameras. You can place them just about anywhere. But also be aware about the weight of the 2432 cameras. They're pretty light even with the included base. I had an issue where the Ethernet patch cable I was using when I had the one designated as a baby cam in our bedroom to watch our daughter while she was sleeping. The cable had enough stiffness and heft to keep rotating the camera. We had to weigh down the Ethernet patch cable to keep the camera pointed where we wanted it.

With the wireless situation on the 2432, as I said above, I don't know why everything seems to have resolved itself. The wireless equipment I'm using is enterprise/business grade stuff. Not going to argue it but I would have like to know what was causing the issues.

As far as finding a power supply to run the 2432 while in wireless mode, I found one of the wallwarts from some old Netgear network equipment to work with the camera.
Great feedback. I have an Airport Express laying around, and was thinking about setting that up in the room I have in mind for the 2432 and connecting it that way. I'd just use power injectors as opposed to relying on the wifi in the camera itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 12:22 AM   #53
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I am looking into getting my house outfitted with cameras. There has been a lot of car break-in recently. I have decided to get 2 dome hikvision, 1 indoor hikvision, 1 outdoor hikvision. I got a couple quote and it look like it will cost a couple thousand dollar to get it professionally installed with the ethernet cable hidden in the wall. I do have a about a foot or 2 crawl space between my first floor and second floor. But I do not have an attic. What is a fair price just for installation?

Diagram of my house and location of where I'm planning to get the cameras mounted.

Planning to go with one in front of garage and one in the backyard.

Bullet camera for the front door.

Indoor camera by the stairs.

Dahua 8 channel NVR with purple WD 4TB HD.

http://www.amazon.com/Eyesurv-ESDV-N...1&keywords=nvr

Any thoughts on this setup?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #54
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
I am looking into getting my house outfitted with cameras. There has been a lot of car break-in recently. I have decided to get 2 dome hikvision, 1 indoor hikvision, 1 outdoor hikvision. I got a couple quote and it look like it will cost a couple thousand dollar to get it professionally installed with the ethernet cable hidden in the wall. I do have a about a foot or 2 crawl space between my first floor and second floor. But I do not have an attic. What is a fair price just for installation?

Diagram of my house and location of where I'm planning to get the cameras mounted.

The diagram picture of your house did not show up, but the pictures of the cameras you chose did. I'd say nice choices all around. The picture quality of the 2032 is amazing. I don't have any experience with the 2532, but recently saw footage of the 2332 and it blew me away. Some other members here have the 2432 and seem to be very pleased with it.

Why are you going with a Dahua NVR when all your cameras are Hikvision? Might make more sense to pick a Hikvision NVR also, no? And 4TB should be plenty, especially when you have your zones for motion set up correctly and accurately.

As far as installation cost is concerned, I think the market rate is about $150 per drop purely for pulling cable. If they are setting everything up though, which is mounting the cameras, getting them live, installing the NVR, etc., then a few grand sounds about right.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #55
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Your diagram didn't post up.

As far as the NVR is concerned, you should read through some of the reviews on Amazon. It looks like interop with Hikvision cameras have been hit or miss. Also that NVR does not have a built in PoE switch. You'll have to factor in a PoE switch, PoE injectors, or have the cameras plugged in via a wallwart.

I'm not familiar with the two outdoor cameras you posted pictures of. But the reviews of them look pretty good.

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1791

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2158

I used the 3332 for my outdoor cameras.

ETA: The other advantage of using a Hikvision NVR is that you can administer/configure most of the camera functions from the NVR. I also have the same WD 4TB drive you're looking to buy. There's more than enough space on the drive especially once you set up the motion detection trigger.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #56
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

As far as the NVR is concerned, you should read through some of the reviews on Amazon. It looks like interop with Hikvision cameras have been hit or miss. Also that NVR does not have a built in PoE switch. You'll have to factor in a PoE switch, PoE injectors, or have the cameras plugged in via a wallwart.

I'm not familiar with the two outdoor cameras you posted pictures of. But the reviews of them look pretty good.

ETA: The other advantage of using a Hikvision NVR is that you can administer/configure most of the camera functions from the NVR. I also have the same WD 4TB drive you're looking to buy. There's more than enough space on the drive especially once you set up the motion detection trigger.
I hear nothing but good reviews about that hikvision you use. But I wanted something more compact and less noticeable. Nice catch. I didn't know that the NVR didn't include a PoE switch. What Hikvision NVR do you recommend?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 10:34 PM   #57
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

I run this Hikvision NVR: DS-7108N SN/ P .

It has a built in 8 port PoE switch. The funny thing is I'm not even using the built in switch. I'm using a separate PoE switch to power the cameras. If Hikvision had one of these NVRs with no PoE switch for less money, I would have purchased that one.

Have you decided which lens you're going to get? 2.8? 4? 6?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #58
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I hear nothing but good reviews about that hikvision you use. But I wanted something more compact and less noticeable. Nice catch. I didn't know that the NVR didn't include a PoE switch. What Hikvision NVR do you recommend?
Have you looked at the DS-2CD2532F-I? The quality seems to be really impressive! And it's probably one of the more covert domes that Hikvision sells.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 11:39 PM   #59
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Is that not the 2332? I have seen footage of this camera and it's really impressive...

Watch in 1080p!

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 03:02 AM   #60
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Is that not the 2332? I have seen footage of this camera and it's really impressive...

Watch in 1080p!

It is a 3332. I did some research and also got an answer from Wrightwood Surveillance where I purchased my 3332 from. The 3332 and the 2332 are one in the same in terms of features and operation. The only difference is the 2332 is English only. Wrightwood stopped selling the 3332 and replaced them with the 2332 recently.

Yes, I've been pretty happy with the 3332 (2332). The orientation flexibility is great, As you can see, the camera is not very large and almost blends in with the rest of the house.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:21 AM   #61
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I run this Hikvision NVR: DS-7108N SN/ P .

It has a built in 8 port PoE switch. The funny thing is I'm not even using the built in switch. I'm using a separate PoE switch to power the cameras. If Hikvision had one of these NVRs with no PoE switch for less money, I would have purchased that one.

Have you decided which lens you're going to get? 2.8? 4? 6?
Where did you buy the NVR? They go for about $130 on Aliexpress.

Do you recommend using the NVR PoE or a separate module for PoE?

I will be going with 2.8 since I'm trying to get the widest view of my driveway. I wish they have something even wider for outdoors that is compact like the Hikvision I posted. I might have to place 2 in front of my garage. One facing the left side and the other facing the right side.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #62
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Where did you buy the NVR? They go for about $130 on Aliexpress.

Do you recommend using the NVR PoE or a separate module for PoE?

I will be going with 2.8 since I'm trying to get the widest view of my driveway. I wish they have something even wider for outdoors that is compact like the Hikvision I posted. I might have to place 2 in front of my garage. One facing the left side and the other facing the right side.
I bought it from Wrightwood Surveillance. They currently show it as out of stock. Not sure when they'll get more. And they'll be more expensive than Aliexpress.

It depends. This is the way I view having an NVR. It's pretty important to locate the NVR in a place where a thief can't get their hands on it easily. To me that's the most important thing with having an NVR. Next if you can easily route the Ethernet drops for the cameras to the hidden location of the NVR, then that would provide another layer of protection. You can put a UPS on the NVR which would then be able to keep the cameras powered up.

In regards to the 2.8 mm lens, make sure you're ok with the distance limitation of what is acceptable in doing facial recognition. Here's a review of the 2532 on Network Camera Critic. http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2158 He has a paragraph discussing the 2.8mm lens on this camera.

"Lens choice is personal, but consider the wider angle the lens, the less pixel density of a suspect or object. In practical terms, in my driveway, in 3MP mode, I reached what I consider the minimum pixel density to identify someone at a distance of about 25′ from the camera. With a 2.8mm lens, that shrinks to about 15′. Based on industry standards, a suspect’s face should at least be 85 pixels tall. Indoors, where space is limited by walls, having the 2.8mm lens, from a corner can provide complete coverage of a room."
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #63
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I bought it from Wrightwood Surveillance. They currently show it as out of stock. Not sure when they'll get more. And they'll be more expensive than Aliexpress.

It depends. This is the way I view having an NVR. It's pretty important to locate the NVR in a place where a thief can't get their hands on it easily. To me that's the most important thing with having an NVR. Next if you can easily route the Ethernet drops for the cameras to the hidden location of the NVR, then that would provide another layer of protection. You can put a UPS on the NVR which would then be able to keep the cameras powered up.

In regards to the 2.8 mm lens, make sure you're ok with the distance limitation of what is acceptable in doing facial recognition. Here's a review of the 2532 on Network Camera Critic. http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2158 He has a paragraph discussing the 2.8mm lens on this camera.

"Lens choice is personal, but consider the wider angle the lens, the less pixel density of a suspect or object. In practical terms, in my driveway, in 3MP mode, I reached what I consider the minimum pixel density to identify someone at a distance of about 25′ from the camera. With a 2.8mm lens, that shrinks to about 15′. Based on industry standards, a suspect’s face should at least be 85 pixels tall. Indoors, where space is limited by walls, having the 2.8mm lens, from a corner can provide complete coverage of a room."
Does wrightwood surveillance offers US version with warranty? Similar to Nelly's security?

I'm still trying to figure out how I can get my cameras wired. My house is so complex to wire since it does not have an attic. I wish I can just hide the NVR but since it would be so difficult to run PoE around it might just be in plain sight.

I wish they make wider lens. Like the Dropcam Pro which gives 130 degrees. I understand the limitation of wider angles. But I only need to monitor about 15-20 feet away but a lot of width. That is why I might need to go with 2 2.8mm cameras.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 11:24 PM   #64
GotE46M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few M cars.

Quick question, do you guys install these yourselves or have someone else do it?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #65
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Does wrightwood surveillance offers US version with warranty? Similar to Nelly's security?

I'm still trying to figure out how I can get my cameras wired. My house is so complex to wire since it does not have an attic. I wish I can just hide the NVR but since it would be so difficult to run PoE around it might just be in plain sight.

I wish they make wider lens. Like the Dropcam Pro which gives 130 degrees. I understand the limitation of wider angles. But I only need to monitor about 15-20 feet away but a lot of width. That is why I might need to go with 2 2.8mm cameras.
The one I got from them is a Chinese version. The box I received had nothing but Chinese writing all over it. But the firmware is the English version. They don't state on their website but I suspect all the Hikvision products they sell have a 1 year warranty through them as listed for the cameras. I haven't bought from Nelly's, but the reason I bought from Wrightwood was the pre and post sales support. They've been pretty good about responding and providing answers to my technical questions.

If you don't see yourself going past 4 cameras, Wrightwood does have the 4 channel version of my NVR with a built in PoE switch.

Not sure how your house is laid out in terms of walls/HVAC and such. But an option could be to run plenum grade Category cabling through your HVAC ducts and punch out near where you want your cameras. Remember if you do opt to run Category cabling through your HVAC ducts that it MUST be plenum grade. The reason this is important is the materials used in plenum grade wiring (specifically the insulating/protective jackets) do not emit toxic fumes when they're subjected to a fire.

I read some where the 2.8mm lens gets almost 130 degrees of view. I've seen figures of around 120 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #66
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotE46M View Post
Quick question, do you guys install these yourselves or have someone else do it?
P1et and I have been doing our own installs.
Appreciate 0